Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
U shaped header VS. L shaped header? >

U shaped header VS. L shaped header?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U shaped header VS. L shaped header?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PowerHouse
I haven't tried header wrap on these engines as they are so small but what I have tried and worked out nicely was ceramic coating and jethot. The problem is unless you get a big order together, most people won't try the coating because of the price so I haven't bothered getting it done. Most people don't like paying the extra $15 for hard coating let alone paying for ceramic. We coated alot of our trail pipes on our sleds and it worked like header wrap and also looked very nice in the chassis. You could also polish the ceramic to give it a nice shine. I have a local company that could do either ceramic or jethot type coatings but you need like 20-30 sets at a time to make it worth doing. Not too much call for it and I don't have 20-30 sets I want to invest in getting it done only to sit on them if most people could care less about the coating process.
We used the ceramic coating to on the mod sleds. I found some thin pipe wrap might have to try it this spring.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
?????? why do almost all off-road engines come with an "L" shaped header then????? nova, rb, tecnopower, or most italin based motors.....

here is a link for 2 stroke motorcycle exhaust but the theory is the same..
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/tunedpipetheory2.htm jeremy
I don't understand what you mean, a "U" ahape is what is on all offf road buggies and truggies, the "L" is what is used in on road because the engine in facing the center of the car so the "U" shaped one will make the pipe paint to the other side and not to the front, having the "L" shaped one in an offroad car will make the pipe stick out to the side an a 90 degree angle to the side of the chassis.

"U" shaped

"L" shaped

Notice the orientation of the motor.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick411
I don't understand what you mean, a "U" ahape is what is on all offf road buggies and truggies, the "L" is what is used in on road because the engine in facing the center of the car so the "U" shaped one will make the pipe paint to the other side and not to the front, having the "L" shaped one in an offroad car will make the pipe stick out to the side an a 90 degree angle to the side of the chassis.

"U" shaped

"L" shaped

Notice the orientation of the motor.
Have you noticed that you are the only one that is talking about on-road manifold's here? If you want to be correct when it comes to on-road the term L shaped manifold is never used it is just referred to as an on-road manifold or if it is conical it is called a conical on-road manifold. Again when you talk about off-road manifolds there are the U shaped manifolds which you posted a picture of in the buggy, there are the double 90's (which the OP referred to as an L shaped manifold). These look similar to the U manifolds except instead of one, smooth bend there are 2x 90 degree bends to the manifold making them look like this ] and finally there are also the conical off-road manifolds which we made which look more like the double 90's. Hope this clarified things.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The "L" shaped headers he's talking about are like the one below.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Road-Manifold

Notice the double bend [ shape.

The "U" shaped header would be like this one.

Notice the smooth ( shape.

That's what he means by U or L shaped headers.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

thanks guys.. jeremy
Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The "L" shaped headers he's talking about are like the one below.

Notice the double bend [ shape.

The "U" shaped header would be like this one.

Notice the smooth ( shape.

That's what he means by U or L shaped headers.
that is what i meant by L shaped, " ] ", sorry i dint use differnt terms, but most of you knew what i meant. thanks for all who explaind this to me!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All this makes me remember back in the day when I raced RD350s and TC250s. Good times, many nites tuning pipes. Nothing like a 380# two stroke wheelin at 130mph.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Anf
Tech Initiate

The ] shaped manifold will restrict gas flow but will not affect the back pressure, back pressure is altered at the outlet.
Also the ] shape will not affect the sonic wave in any way, sonic waves carry no mass.
The manifold should be as free flowing as possible as this is the area where gas speed is at its highest. Tuning should be altered by length and not by adding restriction.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Anf
The ] shaped manifold will restrict gas flow but will not affect the back pressure, back pressure is altered at the outlet.
Also the ] shape will not affect the sonic wave in any way, sonic waves carry no mass.
The manifold should be as free flowing as possible as this is the area where gas speed is at its highest. Tuning should be altered by length and not by adding restriction.
Which is why we include a pipe extender (spacer) with our 2057 pipe set and use a smooth U bend manifold A lot of what we discus on here is done in for lack of better words "layman's terms", having an in depth technical discussion about pipe design, harmonics/exhaust pulse timing etc. etc. is going to fly over all but a few peoples heads And you are correct in your statement that a ] shaped manifold will not affect sonic waves in any way, but the sharp 90 degree bend or in the case of that manifold design 2x sharp 90 degree bends will disrupt or have a negative effect of gas flow and gas flow does have mass. So in essence it will create two additional points of turbulence disrupting gas flow which will affect performance of the overall exhaust system because as I'm sure you know entering the manifold gas flow is just about at it's fastest and any disruption here (in the manifold) will affect the velocity of the gas flow as it enters into the diffuser section of the pipe which is critical.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 235 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Werks
Which is why we include a pipe extender (spacer) with our 2057 pipe set and use a smooth U bend manifold A lot of what we discus on here is done in for lack of better words "layman's terms", having an in depth technical discussion about pipe design, harmonics/exhaust pulse timing etc. etc. is going to fly over all but a few peoples heads And you are correct in your statement that a ] shaped manifold will not affect sonic waves in any way, but the sharp 90 degree bend or in the case of that manifold design 2x sharp 90 degree bends will disrupt or have a negative effect of gas flow and gas flow does have mass. So in essence it will create two additional points of turbulence disrupting gas flow which will affect performance of the overall exhaust system because as I'm sure you know entering the manifold gas flow is just about at it's fastest and any disruption here (in the manifold) will affect the velocity of the gas flow as it enters into the diffuser section of the pipe which is critical.
So to make it simple. What does each manifold do with the same pipe. I found that the L header seems smoother on power, than the U shaped header same pipe,!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by teamlosi906
So to make it simple. What does each manifold do with the same pipe. I found that the L header seems smoother on power, than the U shaped header same pipe,!!
+1..........
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Lol, I thought that we already answered that? My feel on what they do is addressed in my earlier post #13. If you want to be exact "technically" disregard the laymans terms used and just look at my observations on what each shape seems to equate to on the track.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Anf
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Werks
A lot of what we discus on here is done in for lack of better words "layman's terms", having an in depth technical discussion about pipe design, harmonics/exhaust pulse timing etc. etc. is going to fly over all but a few peoples heads
Whilst I can understand that I do not think my post was leading people down a technical path.
I often browse this forum but rarely post, on this occasion I felt the need to correct a few earlier statements.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Anf
Whilst I can understand that I do not think my post was leading people down a technical path.
I often browse this forum but rarely post, on this occasion I felt the need to correct a few earlier statements.
I get you and did not mean anything bad by what I was saying, so my apologies if it came across that way! All that I was getting at is that a lot of people wont even have a clue what gas flow, back pressure and sonic waves even has to do with how a pipe works lol, that was it. In any case you obviously have a good understanding of things why not join in more often when visiting, I'm sure we will all appreciate/benefit from it!