Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
What's a good way to clean a nitro motor? >

What's a good way to clean a nitro motor?

What's a good way to clean a nitro motor?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default What's a good way to clean a nitro motor?

I have a Orion CRF Wasp that I thought needed a new piston and sleeve. But then I found out what a new set cost. 170. Ouch. Took the piston and sleeve out and cleaned it with nitro spray. Sealed all the needles and slapped it back together. Now it seems like it got compression back. Is this a fluke?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

ya it is lol cleaning a engine will not gain compression...it could have ALOT of oil lube in the engine from assembeling it which will make the engine feel like it has more compression then it does. p.m me about getting your p/s resized I have a local guy that is amazing AD Motor Workz.....I will hook ya up on your first one as he sponsors me you can send me your whole engine I can give it to him and then I can even do a break in on it so its right for ya...

Ryan
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

A better ? is how do you clean the head and block. I have a head thats has mud kinda stuck in the fins and i dont want the blue to fade on the head, what can clean this?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
A better ? is how do you clean the head and block. I have a head thats has mud kinda stuck in the fins and i dont want the blue to fade on the head, what can clean this?
brake kleen sensor safe or non chlorinated brand works a treat
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Simple green and a few of those Pipe cleaners you can get everywhere for like $1 for 50. They fit right between the fins and you go back and forth like dental floss. You can hose off your cooling head once you remove it, just be sure its dried completely before you bolt it back on.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Inside I use nitro fuel or elec motor cleaner but I only clean it if absolutely necessary. There is no reason to tear apart a mill that's working properly. If you run a good quality fuel with a mix of syntheticnand caster then you should be good. Outside I use a brush and kalguard degreaser. Then wipe down with a towel and do another coat of degreaser and blow it off with the compressor.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Inside I use nitro fuel or elec motor cleaner but I only clean it if absolutely necessary. There is no reason to tear apart a mill that's working properly. If you run a good quality fuel with a mix of syntheticnand caster then you should be good. Outside I use a brush and kalguard degreaser. Then wipe down with a towel and do another coat of degreaser and blow it off with the compressor.
I use this same method. I only clean my motor if something is acting up. Castor oil is great.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shanem121
I use this same method. I only clean my motor if something is acting up. Castor oil is great.

on my nova engines degreaser in a can is cheap and cleans well, spray off any leftover with compressed air and then I give it a spray again with some wd40 or rp7 and hit it again with some compressed air
Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

simple green with denature alcohol mix plug all opening hit then use a toothbrush then compressor. work like a charm
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx
I have a Orion CRF Wasp that I thought needed a new piston and sleeve. But then I found out what a new set cost. 170. Ouch. Took the piston and sleeve out and cleaned it with nitro spray. Sealed all the needles and slapped it back together. Now it seems like it got compression back. Is this a fluke?
Cleaning the inside of your engine will not increase compression or pinch. I have to pinch the sleeve. There are a bunch of people/companies that can do it for around 35$.

I usually don't clean the inside of my engines except if I need to repair it or replace parts inside.

Last edited by Sylvain; 12-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

What is your address and what this guy charge to get my 1/16 scale sportwerks chaos runing ??????..It did run for a a week or two then it quit ..It is not new !!