Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy Break-in bench starter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Hudy Break-in bench starter?

How are you starting engines on the Hudy bench? My cordless isn't strong enough and an air drill is awkward. I think I need a RC plane starter but am not into RC air. So what do I need?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inxs
How are you starting engines on the Hudy bench? My cordless isn't strong enough and an air drill is awkward. I think I need a RC plane starter but am not into RC air. So what do I need?
Use you finger!!! (take guard off)Spin it backwards.Or a highspeed drill
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't want to string out 100 feet of air hose. I need a starter that is portable.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Most guys attach a RC Plane prop on the crank and turn it over with a Plane Starter.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Inxs
I don't want to string out 100 feet of air hose. I need a starter that is portable.
Take the guard off,turn the prop counter clockwise until it stops.Put glow starter on plug and wack the prop with your finger or something...I use a piece of arrow... counter clock wise it should fire up for you....Make sure motor is not vapor locked or flooded.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX
Take the guard off,turn the prop counter clockwise until it stops.Put glow starter on plug and wack the prop with your finger or something...I use a piece of arrow... counter clock wise it should fire up for you....Make sure motor is not vapor locked or flooded.

And make sure to get it out of there quickly or people will be calling youfour finger Sam! Those proprs are no joke when the engine is spinning so if you do it that way watch out! Best bet is to go buy a 12v airplane starter, drills etc I have never had any luck with. Reality of the matter is that after you go through all of the hastle of semi breaking in an engine on the ench then finish up in the car you will realize that it would have been a lot easier to just do everythng in the car from the start. Honestly though i only thnk that these are useful if you are breaking in a couple engines at once or if you are dong on-road engines where if you run your car in the street it will get destroyed.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Werks
And make sure to get it out of there quickly or people will be calling youfour finger Sam! Those proprs are no joke when the engine is spinning so if you do it that way watch out! Best bet is to go buy a 12v airplane starter, drills etc I have never had any luck with. Reality of the matter is that after you go through all of the hastle of semi breaking in an engine on the ench then finish up in the car you will realize that it would have been a lot easier to just do everythng in the car from the start. Honestly though i only thnk that these are useful if you are breaking in a couple engines at once or if you are dong on-road engines where if you run your car in the street it will get destroyed.
I know of ONE Canadian Moder that uses some strange stuff to start his break in bench!!!! I'm just saying LOL!!! I hear the guys close to him call him THE STUMP!!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC35&P=ML
Use a gel cell or a 4s lipo.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think new engines are too tight to even think about doing it with your finger. If you use an airplane starter and still keep the guard on, you will need to make the hole on the guard larger to fit the ariplane starter. I use a corded 3/8 drill and mine works fine. It only requires a bump to start the engine and not a solid pressure. Most new engines are too rich on the bottom for them to even want to start, so I suggest leaning it out if it does not want to start. Also pre-heating makes it easier. I also think it is much easier doing it this way than killing your starter box and vapor locking an engine in the car.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Ebay the break in bench and break it in in a vehicle. I love the concept but it leaves some things to be desired, such as the fact that the prop blows all the air over the cooling head making it difficult to get proper break in temps.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC
Ebay the break in bench and break it in in a vehicle. I love the concept but it leaves some things to be desired, such as the fact that the prop blows all the air over the cooling head making it difficult to get proper break in temps.
Follow the directions and cover half of the cooling head and it is not a problem to get the correct temps.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Werks
My biggest hassle is setting up clutches just to do an in car break in. How are the RB/ Nova pre run ins being done? I thought they were bench runs.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jmackani
Follow the directions and cover half of the cooling head and it is not a problem to get the correct temps.
You can even remove the head and only tighten the buttonhead, works perfect!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Or get a Competition Heater.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
I did try this, had foil and a sock on the cooling head, maybe if it was 90 degrees out you might get the temps but it was about 60 degrees in my garage and I felt I was leaning it out way to much for break in, the whole point of break in is to have good lubrication while the piston and sleeve mate. Just my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.