R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Default nitro engine care - "tech tips"

Here ya go guys

I believe its about time we all had a place to come together and leave the wealth of information we have to share about nitro engines .
Post anytime , post often but please please always post intellegently and knowingly .
If you don't know what you are talking about for sure then ask a question , that's what forums were designed for , knowledge sharing !!

Happy motorin',
Monty

tech tips:
preheat- before you ever fire your nitro engine up it should be preheated to a temperature of at least 190F

air filter- maintain a well protecting air filter , if you see dirt on the inside of your filter you need to change what you are doing .

fuel - use a well known name brand fuel , try to get fresh fuel if possible and run at least 11% oil fuel for the first gallon or two

fuel system - this is where 95% of an erratic running engines problems occur . check your tank , fuel line , fuel filters all down the line to make sure all is proper .

glow plug - make sure you use a glow plug in the heat range that is either specified by the manufacturer or engine builder such as myself, maximo , powerhouse , abmods , rbmods etc. etc.

BDC - evrytime you shut your engine down you should make sure the piston is in a free movement area , not necessarily BDC but free moving

engine shut off - engine should be shut off by the flywheel and not by plugging the exhaust!! the exhaust method will cause premature front engine bearing failure

more will be added as time goes on
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM SWEEP RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /NOVAROSSI DEALER/ FUSIONX USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S." / BYRON FUELS / HITEC/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/SWEEP RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/WERKS CLUTCH/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 12-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I always (now) run the motor completely out of fuel, even if i only storing it for one day. I think this is one of the reasons my motor still holds compression even at 7 gallons.
dcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcracing View Post
I always (now) run the motor completely out of fuel, even if i only storing it for one day. I think this is one of the reasons my motor still holds compression even at 7 gallons.
+1 and also make sure the piston is bdc (bottom dead center). After I come off the track I make sure the piston is bdc as well.
portyansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've also learned about the problems that occur with not burning every drop of fuel in the engine and following with after-run oil!

Lately, I keep hearing about leaving the piston at BDC. I've not taken time to do that. What does it do??
Matt2979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I've also learned about the problems that occur with not burning every drop of fuel in the engine and following with after-run oil!

Lately, I keep hearing about leaving the piston at BDC. I've not taken time to do that. What does it do??
i beleive when the engine is hot the sleeve expands, after shutting down the engine and putting the piston a BDC it allows the sleeve to return to normal size and still keep its compression, with the piston at TDC it will not allow it to that and will cause engine to loose compression faster. and will also make it hard on conrod for restart as the sleeve will shrink tight onto piston.
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:

It allows you piston and sleeve to cool at their own pace and won't let the sleeve cool and wrap around the piston which would cause severe stress when re-firing.

You should all Pre heat your engines also. Wether it's with a comp heater or something else it will save allot of stress on your rod and bearings
Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:

There are some fuels that dont require after run oil. But you still have to run it out of fuel.
portyansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

One golden rule to engine maintenance-Competition Heat Engine Warmer
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpenThrottle RC View Post
One golden rule to engine maintenance-Competition Heat Engine Warmer
do you have a link for the engine warmer? might grab me one!
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

After run oil can really screw up some modded engines. If you have a crank filled with silicone I would not put a drop of after run oil in it.

Just yesterday I decided to pull apart an engine that I had sitting for 1 year in a zip lock bag that was toast.

I never used after run oil in however when I pulled the back plate and looked inside it was well oiled and had a nice coating of lubrication.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'M bad with my own engines LOL

i dont ever run them out of fuel... many times I plug the exhaust to shut them down...I never worry about putting them to BDC, IMO as long as its not TDC you have no worries, its not going to bind anywhere but TDC IMO..and other then when new an engine never shuts down at TDC..... i never use ARO... I usually beat on my engines from tank 1.... I won't say how I treat my own engines is recommended or proper...But I get great life from my engines and rarely if ever have to replace bearings.....personally I think a clean airfilter and a proper tune matter way more then anything else...I think engine lifespan has more to do with having a proper tune and keeping the engine dirt free then any other factors combined.
www.ClockworkRacingEngines.com
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have never put after run oil in my engines either, and I have yet to tear one apart and find anything other then nice shiny lubed internals! Honestly I don't think that ARO is really a necessity anymore! The fuel we run today is way more advanced then it was years ago. Maybe 5 years ago ARO was a must because fuel didn't have the rust inhibitors and things like that to preserve an engine after use! I run byrons 30/11 and never had any problems!
SDRC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I never run my engines out of fuel, rarely use ARO, only put the piston at BDC during break-in, Only pre-heat during break-in or when running in cold outside temps.

What I do, do is tune them properly and use fresh air filters. I also run ceramic bearings in all of my engines and replace connecting rods after break-in. I also tear my engines down every gallon or two and inspect + clean them inside and out. I run Odonnell 20% race fuel because I'm weird. In a perfect world I would do everything listed(except running the engine dry... Never liked that idea) but what I do works and I get the most life out of my engines as anyone I know.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
do you have a link for the engine warmer? might grab me one!
I know where to get them

Links below in sig HES

Awesome , I think this thread will be a hit whether its stickied or not !!

Soon there will be a lot of great info on how to properly care for your nitro powered micromotors!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM SWEEP RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /NOVAROSSI DEALER/ FUSIONX USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S." / BYRON FUELS / HITEC/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/SWEEP RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/WERKS CLUTCH/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to shanem121 Send a message via MSN to shanem121

Never get in the habbit of tuning by TEMP. Rarely do I use a temp gun.

Every motor runs at a different temp.
Sponsored Links