Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Anyone using this engine yet?
+1
Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I broke mine in yesterday. At the end of the day I started pushing them a bit and they feel really strong. They idle very low and seem to have tons of power from bottom to top.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So I started breaking in this engine the other day and I"m impressed already. I can tell it's going to pull hard and smooth. the only question I have is that it came with two extra shims again, do I assume that after break in that you take the one shim out and plop the two shims in to increase the compression like we did with the old engine??
Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Post looking for input

I have the last years Reedy .21 in my Truggy Just got a buggy Z01b Thinking on the new Reedy for it let me know what info you guys have on the motor or any videos you got of it running on the track what kind temps you getting thanks for the help guys
Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goomba_7
So I started breaking in this engine the other day and I"m impressed already. I can tell it's going to pull hard and smooth. the only question I have is that it came with two extra shims again, do I assume that after break in that you take the one shim out and plop the two shims in to increase the compression like we did with the old engine??
The 2 shims are the same as the VR comes stock. It's reversed for this engine. The VR came stock with .5mm and the .4 was the option.

The ST comes shimmed at .4mm but gives you the .3 and .2 if you want to raise the button. Most of the team found that the .4mm gave the all around best performance, so I guess they just went ahead and made that the stock setting for the new engine.

I'm pretty bummed, I have only been able to hear mine idle so far, dang rain and snow. What I would give for a good indoor nitro track near me . Hopefully I'll be racing this Saturday and be able to let it rip.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up New Reedy .21

Any one out there know of a good place to get the new Reedy .21 st I want it new in the Box with all the stuff that goes with it
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I really like my 121VR, how does the ST compare with the VR?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Goomba_7
Does P3 plug work on this engine? Any alternative tuned pipe?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Joydude, I don't know about the P3 just yet. I haven't even fully broken in the Engine yet. But if it's anything like the Std. VR it will definitely like an ODonnel 97T. That's my plan once the stock RT-3 ends it's life.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

I got mine a couple weeks ago and so far its great. Did the usuall heat cycle break in I usually do though a couple of tanks then hit the track to tune up. Im in so cal so the temps have been in the mid 70's to 80's here. Right away the motor would run on over jumps this was before any tuning at all. The bottom end was about 5 to 6 hours too lean and the top was about 2 hours 2 rich. After makeing these adjustments the motor is MONEY!!!!! Im really enjoying the smooth power band and great idle that it has. I can fire it up on my box walk the car to pit lane, take my time getting up on the driver stand without ever hitting the throttle and and the car leaps from pit lane when im ready. I am running the stock reedy plugs that come with the motor they are a ultra hot and byrons 30% FUEL.

Hope this helps all that are interested. All I can say is so far so good......Only time will tell
Old 01-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

I've had a chance to finish breaking in the ST last night. I will say it's definitely starting to come alive. It's exactly like the VR where you can tune the low speed in while on the box. And I had the same issue as another member here where the engine was way lean on the low speed from the factory. I would put my numbers right at about where he was. (look a few post farther up to understand what I'm saying) I've got the AE2035 mounted up and its got loads of bottom end and a nice linear curve to it. I am going to get my hands on the Nova Pipe maifield has been running with it to see it the High speed comes in, because as of now I'm not really pleased with the top end. As far a Glow plugs it comes with the RT3 by Reedy and I don't know what it is with those plugs, I haven't had good luck tuning either Reedy engine with that plug so I made the switch to the good old Odonnel 97T and it smoothed everything out and gave it a little bit of power too.

As for temps, I was getting good everything at roughly 240-250 but I expect that to actually come down with the Nova pipe and more time.

On another note I got a chance to try the new Odonnel race blend fuel and did a direct comparison from my old faithful Byrons and I was immediately able to lean the engine out more. Ran pretty good with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Goomba try the reedy 2039 pipe it gives the engine alot of top and is a great pipe all around.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Does Anyone know which nova pipe Maifield ran with the ST?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'll stick with my 2039 but this is the NR pipe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.