Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After pit stop flame-outs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I see a lot of people start their cars up on the box and start turning the needles before the engine has even warmed up. I like to tune my engines after they have ran for atleast 5 minutes and have 1/2 tank of fuel. Right when your pit man picks up the car, give it a blip to clean it out. If the engine is tuned right, it shouldn't flame out.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had the same problem once. I leaned the bottom about an hour or so and it never did it again.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinmajor
I see a lot of people start their cars up on the box and start turning the needles before the engine has even warmed up. I like to tune my engines after they have ran for atleast 5 minutes and have 1/2 tank of fuel. Right when your pit man picks up the car, give it a blip to clean it out. If the engine is tuned right, it shouldn't flame out.
I normally try and do this, but sometimes I cannot get to the track early enough before the race.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcion
Man that is exactly what happen to me at Vertigo. Cool weather came around and I flamed out in the Main after I was fine the entire 3 qualifiers.
Hi.

Something is not right here

If you adjust the needles in warm weather, the setting will be too LEAN when its gets colder during the afternoon.

Colder airtemp = more oxygen in the air = need more fuel to have the right mixture.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default You know

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
Hi.

Something is not right here

If you adjust the needles in warm weather, the setting will be too LEAN when its gets colder during the afternoon.

Colder airtemp = more oxygen in the air = need more fuel to have the right mixture.
Yes that is true, but you missed the issue....

the problem is later in the evening when the main goes down the humidity comes out and replaces the air with water thus causing a richer condition, even in cooler temps.

So it's like this

Hotter day, lean it a bit, as it cools off it makes more power, but rarely needs to be fattened up, and the later hour, humidity causes a fat running engine, not enough to make it slow, but just enough to make the dang thing flame out.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
Yes that is true, but you missed the issue....

the problem is later in the evening when the main goes down the humidity comes out and replaces the air with water thus causing a richer condition, even in cooler temps.

So it's like this

Hotter day, lean it a bit, as it cools off it makes more power, but rarely needs to be fattened up, and the later hour, humidity causes a fat running engine, not enough to make it slow, but just enough to make the dang thing flame out.
Cool. Allways nice to lean new stuff

Thanks Merdith