One way bearing question.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default One way bearing question.

Total nitro noob, please go easy.

I have an RTR RC8 with the .28 engine. If the one way bearing goes out, I will not be able to start via roto-start or bump box, this correct?

Also, I looked for a pull start, but can't find one. Not sure if I'm just not searching correctly or what. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marooko
Total nitro noob, please go easy.

I have an RTR RC8 with the .28 engine. If the one way bearing goes out, I will not be able to start via roto-start or bump box, this correct?

Also, I looked for a pull start, but can't find one. Not sure if I'm just not searching correctly or what. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, folks.
You shouldn't have a one way bearing if you are using a bump box. Roto start is another story, it may have a one way bearing. If you are planning on using a bump box, i'd get the correct backplate and that way you don't have to worry about a one way bearing at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Any insight on that before I get to the hobby shop later this week? I don't know what I'm looking for at all, but I'm looking. hahaha. Just don't want to buy a bunch of wrong stuff.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone have any more info?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

you dont need to buy anything extra just the bump box. try cleaning the bearing and make sure the back plate is tight first.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you plan to continue using the roto-start system I would suggest picking up a spare one-way bearing.

There are two things that can happen to a one-way bearing. It can slip, which would cause the engine to not spin when trying to start it. Slipping is most often caused by gunk in the bearing itself. Often simply cleaning the bearing will get it working again.

Or it can lock-up (very uncommon), and cause the drive gear at the rear of the engine to rotate even after removing the starter "wand". In the event that the bearing locks up, continuing to run the engine will cause excessive wear at the backplate bushing.

A starter box could be used even if the roto system is still installed on the engine..

Last edited by motomatt; 10-25-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT
you dont need to buy anything extra just the bump box. try cleaning the bearing and make sure the back plate is tight first.
Originally Posted by motomatt
If you plan to continue using the roto-start system I would suggest picking up a spare one-way bearing.

There are two things that can happen to a one-way bearing. It can slip, which would cause the engine to not spin when trying to start it. Slipping is most often caused by gunk in the bearing itself. Often simply cleaning the bearing will get it working again.

Or it can lock-up (very uncommon), and cause the drive gear at the rear of the engine to rotate even after removing the starter "wand". In the event that the bearing locks up, continuing to run the engine will cause excessive wear at the backplate bushing.

A starter box could be used even if the roto system is still installed on the engine..
Thank you both.

motomatt, if the roto system bearing is faulty, will that prevent starting the engine from the bump box?

Sorry for the noobie silliness, I've been swamped at work and haven't been able to do the research.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No, BUT, the rotostart stuff will be spinning when the motor is running, Wearing the parts excessively.

You can use a bumpbox on any car that has a flywheel cutout in the chassis, other starting methods withstanding..