"the engine break in bible"

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default "the engine break in bible"

here are a few methods for you guys to choose from

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

My personal method which I use is as follows

Mount engine in car , preheat engine using competition heat engine warmer (easiest most prefered method) , prime engine by blowing into the pressure line and holding carburetor open until fuel has reached all the way into the crank case .

Preheat to a temp of at least 170° fahrenheit , start engine , you might have to keep it idled up a lil at first until engine settles into a smooth idle (hotter plug helps with break in). Monitor temps frequently , if temps start climbing higher unplug comp heat unit , use low speed needle and idle screw adjustment to get engine to idle between 190°-210° . Let idle for 5 min then shut down , leave head covered while idling , repeat this process three times , preheat , idle , shut off , cool down with piston out of the pinch area or BDC .

Next step is similar , preheat , start engine , idle for a minute or so , make sure carb is fairly close to "in balance" but hsn fairly rich lsn 2-3 hrs rich of a race tune and run car on the ground for approx. 10 min. , you will have to tune engine so it stays at 190°-210° while running the car around in a parking lot with the body on (do not over rev, use 40'-50' lengths so as not to gain too many rpm's) , no head cover . Repeat this process 3 times - preheat , run car on ground for 10 min., shut off , cool down with piston at bdc .

Next step is same as on ground intervals but this time do 30 min intervals on the ground with the body on no head cover . You can start to drive car on track for this but do not over lean engine , do not over rev!!!!!! , keep temps between 190-210F and do not "blip" the throttle , all these steps are important .

hope this helps ,
Monty Houston
Houstons Engine Service

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

If you are still idling at least a tank through during break-in, you're using the old-school accepted method (still works well for some!) but it's not the method that the top engine guys (Ron Paris, Dennis Richey, Rody Roem, Michael Salven are just a few I've spoken personally with about this) recommend anymore.

From the very 1st time you start your engine, plop the car on the ground & begin running it in a parking lot in 2-3 minute intervals, tuned only *slightly rich* getting the temps up in the 200F range on a normal day. Every 2-3 minutes, shut the engine down & let it cool completely with the piston at BDC, and then fire it back up; continue this cycle until you've run 15 min or so, and then bump up to 3-4 minute intervals. Vary the RPM and don't be afraid to get the temps in the 200's. What you want is heat cycling of the components without the incredible stress that comes with breaking an engine in when it's overly rich & cold. After cycling the engine in this mannerfor about 20-25 total minutes, it'll be ready for the track and race tuning. I realize this method goes against the old-school "idle on the box" routine, but you'll be amazed once you've completed this break-in routine, your engine will still have amazing pinch w/out sticking at the top AND your engines compression will last far longer than it will with the "old school" method.

You say you run the engine at "factory settings" for the first FIVE tanks? That alone causes lots of stress, as the factory settings are very rich on every engine I've ever owned or tuned. The piston & sleeve haven't expanded to operating temps, and every time the engine turns over, the piston slams into the pinch zone at TDC. The not-so-surprising result can be a cracked con-rod at the crank pin--that's where the majority of the stresses occur as the engine turns over. I've only heard of about 6-8 engines breaking con-rods, and they're ALWAYS during the first gallon...and almost every time it's because the guys have performed the break-in procedure you described. Doesn't seem like a mystery as to why it's happening. Drawing out the break-in routine really stresses the engine & actually wears away compression along the way. This method I've outlined will feel weird at every step, but after you try it once, you'll notice a big difference in your engine's performance & lifespan.

Hope this helps; give this break-in method a shot--you have nothing to gain except longer life & more power

not written by me , stephen bess wrote the article

Last edited by houston; 11-12-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

This is what I have always done and people thought I was crazy
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Johnny cool Guy!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Are you JOHNNY COOL GUY??

I have used this method several times and it has never let me down. I add one step. I heat cycle the 1st 25 mins in 3 min intervals on the box with the head wrapped to keep the temp up. Just my twist/ tweak.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Prophet

can i be johnny cool guy ?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Lord

There's only one Johnny cool guy and he's still alive....you can be Monty Cool Guy
Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I too thought the original post looked familiar. this link also credits the original poster of it instead of plagiarizing it..

http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Lord

loop I don't think Monty was plagiarizing intentionally...I think it was more of a Help the newbie's post...to give credit to the original Author of this tutorial it is
STEPHEN BESS, but this has worked it's way around the web for awhile, and I don't think the author's name was circulated with it. It is possible that the post this particular verse was taken from did not have an authors name attached.

Just MO..Monty's not like that
Old 05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Agreed. Heat cycling is the only way to go.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
loop I don't think Monty was plagiarizing intentionally...I think it was more of a Help the newbie's post...to give credit to the original Author of this tutorial it is
STEPHEN BESS, but this has worked it's way around the web for awhile, and I don't think the author's name was circulated with it. It is possible that the post this particular verse was taken from did not have an authors name attached.

I agree Jaz, no way Monty claims this as his own words.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jaz240

no big jaz , everybody has there own opinions and you know what those are like

yes that is where it was copied from and i just figured it would be a little more helpful just as i posted it .

you act like i was trying to take credit and make millions off of it or something
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looks pretty close to what the Traxxas manuals will tell you, too... Except, I don't think my manual said anything about temps, lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looper
I too thought the original post looked familiar. this link also credits the original poster of it instead of plagiarizing it..

http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/ma..._break-in.html
william, you are always crying somewhere online are'nt you
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

I always curse at them and run used glow plugs, I've had some engines last as long as 2 gallons. Wear a disguise and break them in at night near a hospital or church,get some real demons and put them in the pipe and pull the trigger.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
I always curse at them and run used glow plugs, I've had some engines last as long as 2 gallons. Wear a disguise and break them in at night near a hospital or church,get some real demons and put them in the pipe and pull the trigger.

Time to renew that prescription dude

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.