R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #496
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC3D RC View Post
So the method in the traxxas manual is ok to use? I am getting my first nitro car and I really dont want to mess anything up...
The Traxxas method is okay to use for a RTR-grade engine. Don't use it for a race-grade engine. Also, I strongly recommend running the first tank extremely rich, too rich for the car to actually drive, because that provides maximum lubrication to flush out debris from the engine. Engines always have a little manufacturing dust left inside them, and the first run is also when the most debris is worn off the moving parts. You want those little metal particles to be completely covered in oil so they can't scratch anything before they get blown out the exhaust.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #497
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Truggy 1st full tank

Hello I'm in the process break in my novarossi mitto 7 installed d8t truggy I decided to idle to first 4 tanks and I'm wondering if advice 4 tanks meaning 4 FULL TANK? also how long do does it take to finish one full tank? It seems mine takes around 1 1/2is hours to finish one full tank it seems to long haha I just to make sure im doing it right haha I don't mind it as long as I'm doing it right thanks
J5137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #498
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Keep engine over 200 degrees at all times during break in. A heat gun/engine heater and a temp gun are crucial to do the break in right. I'm sure there is some different ways of doing this w/out the heat gun/temp gun. These items make break in much easier for me. In my experience a engine that is at idle won't get to 200 degrees.
racingnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #499
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

Every engine I ever idled never reached 200 degrees and seemed to have a short life.
Ecrt.5 on 6s = broken parts
We stand for our flag!!!!
Troubles Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #500
Tech Adept

I'm not an advocate of idling these engines for very long - long enough to stabilize the idle and I drive the darn thing. I have cheap RTR engines that have 8 gallons on them and still have pinch and they were broken in by driving them right off the bat. Coincidence, maybe, but it certainly seems to work for me.
Troubles Dad likes this.
SlowLST2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #501
Tech Apprentice

I agree completely with just driving them sooner rather than later for sure. My one suggestion would be, perform smooth throttle increases for the first 5 - 10 tanks. If you if get a little too excited and start revving it up quick, you can skid your bearings. Everyone always focus' on the pinch, but bearing break-in is VERY important as well.

Losi 8ight-T 2.5 (Upgraded to near 3.0)
Serpent Cobra 811 B 2.2
BoardSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #502
Tech Adept

See answers below, since you referenced my break in method!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrankito View Post
So I've read everything I could read while not having my motor yet. I am new to nitro. I read this thread, the bess thread, paris sites on breaking in engines. My questions are:

1. Basically the first time you fire it up. Let it idle a bit to warm up on the box. Then throw it on the ground with short runs 3 minish. DO this for 15 minuteish.. This equals about 2-3 tanks? and am I slowly(1-2hrs at a time) leaning out the HSN every time I fire it up after letting it compeletly cool off between runs? or leave the settings alone? temps in the 200ish range..

15min total isn't going to be 2-3 tanks most likely, but the point is to get heat into the engine and then to let it cool. Yes lean the HSN each run, assuming you're starting with a very rich needle setting. 200F is great and should be a guide.

2. The second set running 3-5 min runs for a total of 30 mins getting up to 1/2 throttle.. am I still attempting to lean the HSN (still lots of smoke)? temps not to exceed the 200ish range?

Lean the needle as necessary to achieve warmer temps as close to 200f as you can get without getting he engine super snappy and reactive.

3. Now we are at about 6 tanks? I can now run it on the track for short burst full throttle for a few seconds...still leaning it out a bit? 200ish range?

Yes. By the point you can probably not worry about leaning it each tank, as it should be pretty close.

4.The manual for my engine pretty much says by 1liter I could be close to race tune? That's just over a 1/2 gallon. From what I read it the suggestion is to not race it or not run it hard until at least a gallon is ran through it?

0.5gal will get you close but 1gal will allow the engine to drop its nuts and regulate the tune. As the engine breaks in, the tune will change a bit. Usually the engine will richer up drastically out of nowhere when the tight mechanical pinch is finally gone. Then it's 100% race tune time.

TIA!!
stephen_bess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 AM   #503
Tech Adept

Heat cycling does nothing for a brass liner constructed engine. That process was invented and prescribed for ferrous technology engines (iron pistons in steel liners). Idling does nothing to seat the conrod bushings - only rpm can do that regardless of cylinder construction. This conrod is the most crucial part that needs to break-in - the bearings and piston seat themselves over time. The rod, rod bushings, and crankpin need to mate properly.

Start it up, get heat into it, drive it, don't run tank empty. Refill tank and repeat. No harsh throttle movements or WOT until the engine is thoroughly heat soaked - usually one full tank. When the engine is fully hestsoaked, everything is running at operating temp/clearance and it will take carburetor adjustments properly. It's not rocket science.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #504
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Heat cycling is not for the brass but it does do a lot for the piston. Molecules will float arround making the piston grow and making it stronger. If you do not create cool down periods then you will notice some moments the engine suddenlu runs a bit heavy and that wears off after a few laps, thats the grow. With heat cycling you will have a more stable running engine.
AlbertN likes this.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #505
Tech Adept

I don't buy that. No offense.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #506
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
I don't buy that. No offense.
It's crazy but actually happens, the metal particles in the cast piston piston and to an extent the CNC ones too group themselves and create crystalline formations, the piston gets bigger and a bit more porous too. Microscopically speaking of course.

Carry on gentlemen.
Roelof likes this.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #507
Tech Adept

Some good reading here: http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/c....php?cat_id=99

Here too: http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/c....php?cat_id=10

Last edited by SlowLST2; 10-11-2017 at 08:29 PM.