The RC Sure-Start Pre-heater

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default The RC Sure-Start Nitro Engine Pre-heater

Hello some of you may have seen some of my products mentioned on here in various threads but I thought I would start my own topic so I can answer any question and give some info on our products.

My name is John and im the designer of the RC Sure-Start nitro pre-heater, ive been producing these pre-heaters for about two months and in that time we have sold about 100 units mostly to UK customers but a few units overseas to Europe and America.

The Sure-Start uses a high intensity light bulb and a small fan to direct the bulb heat down over the engine heat sink. This then transfers the heat throughout the rest of the engine. It works incredibly efficiently due to the tight fitting casing which slides around the engine and prevents the heat escaping. The unit runs of a 12v power source either a 12v gel cell or a 3 cell lipo pack. The Sure-Start can heat an engine to 150f in five minutes or 200f in less than 10 minutes (depending on ambient temps)

We currently have two models the standard model which is the entry level pre-heater and a deluxe version which features a thermal switch which turns the heat on and then off when the temps reach between 180 and 200 degrees F. Once the temp drops 5 degrees the unit switches back on, this is great for keeping an engine at peak temps without flattening the battery or overheating the engine if left unattended.

The deluxe model also features a three way switch with two heat settings low and high which is great for fine tuning how much heat is needed depending on the ambient temps.

The Sure-Start also delivers true even heating as the heating element is directly above the engine not offset to one side like other products on the market. It will get your engine up to the key 150 degrees in only 5 mins and to 180F in 10 minutes, no other product on the market today can achieve this level of performance.

The inside of the casing is lined with motorsport grade thermal reflective foil which directs all of the heat into the head of the engine so there is minimal heat soak in to the surrounding metal parts ensuring maximum efficiency.

It also comes with 6 months warrantee which covers ALL PARTS including the bulb

More details can be found on my website www.rcsurestart.com

Thanks

John

and a pic

Deluxe Models below, these are all custom colour options:

Last edited by lambchops; 09-13-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

I got to test the new Deluxe Sure-Start over the Proline International over here in the uk. For the big 3 day meeting, the sure-start worked flawlessly..
I just clicked it on 4 mins before my heat.. when to then tighten all bolts screws. And by the time my heat was up, My O.S. was up to running temperature, and ready to go. It make racing so much easier, less wear on the engine internals. And less fuel, trying to warm up the engine. I cant recommend to try a Sure-Start enough, it will make your race day that much easier.. and save your engine's life long term too. Thanks again John for letting my test the product!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do you guys ship international? I'm in Singapore. Please advise on the postage cost.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by adrictan
Do you guys ship international? I'm in Singapore. Please advise on the postage cost.
Thanks for the kind words Jamie,

Adrictan international postage is the same flat rate no matter where abouts you are which is £10.

If you look on my website there is an option to order with international postage costs added.

John
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

In the Ordering Section, there's an indication of Lower Casing Size. What does that mean and what does it do? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Cases

Lower casings are interchangeable should you wish to use it on different sized engines and are available to be purchased separately. The small casing will work with engines with a head size of less than 59mm (OS Speed, V-Spec, Alpha, Ninja and Go engines).

The larger casing is for engines with a head size above 59mm (Reedy, RB engines, purple headed Nova Rossi range)

Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jamie,

Yes the lower casing is available in two sizes as its important to have a tight fit around the engine to hold the heat. The small casing is 59mm so any engine head which is 59mm or less needs this casing and any engine above 59mm needs the large casing its a simple as that

OS speeds, Vspec, Alpha, Go engines use the small casing, RB, Reedy, Novarossi need the large.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

What size for Werks B6?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

small or large for Fiorioni engine?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Interesting idea, But i foresee issues with constantly changing insert's pending the motor your running and having to buy a New insert when a new motor hits the shelves.

Curious how quick does it cool off if you were to need to change the insert ?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ok just a quick question regards this what are the rough temps wen u tested it at around the crank case and is there some warmth around the chassis above the motor by feel
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Looks pretty nifty this design would really help out all the people who don't have electricity at the track.

Can you post the max diameter of the cooling head each design would accept?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Unfortunately guys at the moment I don’t have the information for every engine to know its head diameter as the manufactures don’t always list this info on their websites. The easiest way to check is just to use a ruler on the head heat sink to check its size.

There are only two casing sizes which does cater for all the .21 engines on the market, the small casing is 60mm and the large is 68mm which even fits the very large Novarossi purple headed engine range. If for any reason you change engine brands lower casings can be purchased seperatly if needed.

As for temps after only 5 mins with the Sure-Start on the lower power setting (one bulb element) and an ambient temp of 68 degrees F the engine casing is on average around 120F and the heat sink around 150F. There is even heat in the chassis at this point too. Leave the Sure-Start fitted for 10 mins and 200F at the head and 150f on the casing is easy to achieve.

If you look at the testimonials on my website you can see some of the feedback I have had on how the device works and people have been extremely impressed with its performance. And despite selling around 100 units no one has ever purchased a replacement bulb due to failure.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Interesting idea, But i foresee issues with constantly changing insert's pending the motor your running and having to buy a New insert when a new motor hits the shelves.

Curious how quick does it cool off if you were to need to change the insert ?
Hi Integra,

Its cools off quite quickly as the metal is thin, you could swap the casing in about a minute if you needed too.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I started to ask a question and thought better about it. But then I thought maybe you could answer it. I don't want this to sound like a flame, maybe there is something I'm not understanding about this heater since I have never seen anyone use one.
Why would this be better to use then a 10$ hairdryer to heat your engine? I've been wanting to buy an engine heater, but can't see how it could work better then the hairdryer I've been using. The hairdryer will get my engine to 200 degrees in about a minute, and it blows air so it heats up the entire car while your using it, if you want it to.

Again, maybe I shouldn't be using a hairdryer for some reason that I don't know, or maybe there are things about the engine heaters that I'm not thinking about that make them a much better way to heat your engine.
Anyway what are the major advantages over using your engine heater compared to a hairdryer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.