Search

The RC Sure-Start Pre-heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lambchops
hehe not my night is it

remember in the UK we spell colour diffrent to you guys over the pond its colour not color
Not colour. Check your products page.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

Just as a bit of backing for Lambchops here.

I bought one of the first wave of RC SureStarts to ship and use it every single time I start my RB from cold. I have never suffered from any kind of overheat (300f, you gotta be joking surely!!) and have never suffered from a blown bulb, in fact I dont recall anyone ever having mentioned a blown bulb on the MB forums.

What we have here is something that is like all the very best idea's. Its simple and easy to use, and pretty much everyone smacks their forehead and mutters "why didnt I think of that??". Yes you can use a hair dryer, or fab up your own copy, but the RC Sure Start does exactly what it claims to do, with minimal expense and minimal fuss.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Beddo

Yep that's one hell of a spelling error thanks for pointing that out, there are no prizes though

Last edited by lambchops; 09-07-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

in reality if u were to fab one from a hairdryer it would cut out due to over heating those hairdryers are renown to do this
Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

The original one (without the thermo control) can get very hot, according to the thread on MaxBashing:

Originally Posted by stot
i did post how to work it out lol

though mmm science must be wrong lol

right just little heads up warning

do not forget you have left these great little heaters turned on

did few tests on 12v sla battery

ended up with engine at 320 f after 13 min and the silver middle case at 140c ouch as i found out lol

the temp of the bulb goes well over 500 f so be aware dont leave on too long

this was on warm day ie this evening and on an old engine just in mounts not in car[fully aware chassis will heat sink some of the heat away from the crank]

head was at 104 celcius within 6 min

these are v powerfull do not leave unattended please

not knocking it at all does the job just great just use with care
As John has said, it is best to treat them with respect and monitor them.

If you are concerned about the high temps, your best bet would be buy the deluxe version with the thermo control.

However, it should also be noted that these temps were with the original design with both elements wired up. John has since modified production so only one element is lit which will keep the temps lower (although I believe you can easily change this to use both elements if required during the winter etc) and is probably why most people have not experienced these temperatures. The deluxe model has a 2 way switch to make switching from 1 element to 2 even easier.

RE: bulbs, I have seen/spoken to a couple of people at meetings that have had bulb failures. Whether this was down to high temps (with both elements lit) or being knocked around (bulbs in general don't tend to like being knocked around, especially when on...) I don't know - these were in the early days and I have not heard of any recent bulb failures. The simple answer is to carry a spare bulb if you are concerned about it.... John may not be aware of the couple of instances if the people have purchased replacement bulbs from a different source and haven't reported it... Bulbs in car headlights do not last forever and you shouldn't expect these to either...

I should add that I personally haven't used one of these heaters as I purchased a Comp Heat one before they were released etc and the info above is from following the product thread on Maxbashing with the development/progress of the product and from speaking to people that have actually used them. Personally I am very happy with my Comp Heat one - although the cost of importing them in to the UK with the shipping charges and import duty was significantly higher which puts alot of people off, together with the fact there was not a 12v one available (but is now!) which meant people had to have mains power/a generator and a drop down power converter...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Marc for clearing that up. If anyone has reported a failed bulb to me I have replaced it FOC and will continue to do so but it’s certainly not happening frequently enough to cause any concern.

Also it worth pointing out the Sure-Start has a 6 month warrantee which also covers the bulb.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi gents/ladies - I am new on here but spotted a product I am familiar with....the Surestart, I have one and it works a treat!

I use mine religously, before every start, not only does it save wear on my engine, fuel etc etc but I know once started up my engine is on tune and ready for the track - no more sitting on the grid thinking, I hope it doesn't cut due to being cold and know I can floor it off the line as everything is up to temp and working as it should

The unit itself is small, compact & light, I run mine off a 12V battery and have never had any battery issues whilst using my Surestart.

I have had mine for quite a few months now (bought the early model) and no faults or problems at all - does what it says on the tin kinda product, nothing fancy just simply does the job and does it well!!!

Now I would not start my engine up without fitting my Surestart for a few mins, others are constantly asking to borrow it so I loan it out to other racers and they are amazed at the ease of starting & ease of use etc - thumbs up from others aswell as me!

In my opinion, this is a great idea, good luck & credit goes to the guy who made this product and made my life easier...not to mention cheaper with the slight saving on fuel and in no doubt huge saving on wear causing my engines to last much longer!

I am yet to run an engine in using it (prob down to using a Surestart on my current engine increasing it's life) but that will be a doddle, gets up to temp quickly and could even be fitted while the engine is running to keep some heat in? - Don't knock it till you've tried it is what I say LOL - For the money, you can't go wrong!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

You spelt your name wrong Bazza
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Beddo
You spelt your name wrong Bazza
LOL Bazza was taken, tried a few and this was the only one it would allow

Digging the RCSurestart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

I’ve had some professional pictures done of the deluxe models, these are all custom color options im saving the chrome for Sure-Start team drivers only

Colors are from left to right Chrome, Slate Blue, Orange Gloss, and Candy Purple.

The two on the outside are the small casing models and the two centre ones are large casings.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
OK, now that I am getting nasty PM's etc. I will explain myself.

I have followed this product since it was first shown on Max Bashing. I am always interested in new products. So I followed it. When the unit first came out, some were having bulbs blow, and some are still if they get grease / oil etc on the bulb. Which is to be expected with this type of bulb. BEFORE THE FORUM WAS CLEANED UP, there were several racers that complained about the bulb blowing and some that had over heated their motors (over 300 deg.)
Just a quick note.

I know Jon through MaxBashing, and don't use his product yet, that's only because i've not had the spare cash to buy one.

I will also add that i'm a MOD on MaxBashing, i have just gone through all 58 pages of the thread to check if the allegations above are true. After a look through the deleted items, i can honestly say that there are none that relate to the above comments ,everything is there for people to clearly read.

I think common sense needs to be used,you have a heat source that needs to be monitored. As we English say "Simples"

Ross
Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Just thought I'd add to the guy Ross above me...

As stated, I have the RC Surestart and have used it since pretty much early days and my model is superb, never let me down and never an issue at all - happy days, I love it and cannot wait to receive my deluxe model!

An all year round must have accessory!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the support guys, once you try pre-heating a nitro engine believe me you won’t go back it really does make the whole startup process so much easier. Even in a warm climate you will notice a huge improvement believe me.

The Sure-Start also delivers true even heating as the heating element is directly above the engine not offset to one side like other products on the market. It will get your engine up to the key 150 degrees in only 5 mins and to 180F in 10 minutes, no other product on the market today can achieve this level of performance, this isn’t sales patter these are the facts ladies and gents

The inside of the casing is lined with motorsport grade thermal reflective foil which directs all of the heat into the head of the engine so there is minimal heat soak in to the surrounding metal parts ensuring maximum efficiency.

It also comes with 6 months warrantee which covers ALL PARTS including the bulb.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ross71
Just a quick note.

I know Jon through MaxBashing, and don't use his product yet, that's only because i've not had the spare cash to buy one.

I will also add that i'm a MOD on MaxBashing, i have just gone through all 58 pages of the thread to check if the allegations above are true. After a look through the deleted items, i can honestly say that there are none that relate to the above comments ,everything is there for people to clearly read.

I think common sense needs to be used,you have a heat source that needs to be monitored. As we English say "Simples"

Ross
OK, since you just will not quit. DID YOU NOT READ THIS POST?

The original one (without the thermo control) can get very hot, according to the thread on MaxBashing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stot
i did post how to work it out lol

though mmm science must be wrong lol

right just little heads up warning

do not forget you have left these great little heaters turned on

did few tests on 12v sla battery

ended up with engine at 320 f after 13 min and the silver middle case at 140c ouch as i found out lol

the temp of the bulb goes well over 500 f so be aware dont leave on too long

this was on warm day ie this evening and on an old engine just in mounts not in car[fully aware chassis will heat sink some of the heat away from the crank]

head was at 104 celcius within 6 min

these are v powerfull do not leave unattended please

not knocking it at all does the job just great just use with care

As John has said, it is best to treat them with respect and monitor them.

If you are concerned about the high temps, your best bet would be buy the deluxe version with the thermo control.

However, it should also be noted that these temps were with the original design with both elements wired up. John has since modified production so only one element is lit which will keep the temps lower (although I believe you can easily change this to use both elements if required during the winter etc) and is probably why most people have not experienced these temperatures. The deluxe model has a 2 way switch to make switching from 1 element to 2 even easier.

RE: bulbs, I have seen/spoken to a couple of people at meetings that have had bulb failures. Whether this was down to high temps (with both elements lit) or being knocked around (bulbs in general don't tend to like being knocked around, especially when on...) I don't know - these were in the early days and I have not heard of any recent bulb failures. The simple answer is to carry a spare bulb if you are concerned about it.... John may not be aware of the couple of instances if the people have purchased replacement bulbs from a different source and haven't reported it... Bulbs in car headlights do not last forever and you shouldn't expect these to either...

I should add that I personally haven't used one of these heaters as I purchased a Comp Heat one before they were released etc and the info above is from following the product thread on Maxbashing with the development/progress of the product and from speaking to people that have actually used them. Personally I am very happy with my Comp Heat one - although the cost of importing them in to the UK with the shipping charges and import duty was significantly higher which puts alot of people off, together with the fact there was not a 12v one available (but is now!) which meant people had to have mains power/a generator and a drop down power converter...

It was only a few posts above yours, I was going to leave it alone until the "Mod" called me a liar.

I mean, do you really expect all of us to believe that you (The Mod) Went through ALL the deleted items and all the current pages and did not find anything? How stupid are you? There is a direct quote already posted on this threas?

AND WHY WOULD YOU DELETE POSTS ON MAX BASHING ANYWAY? WHAT NEEDED TO BE DELETED? I mean come on, it is posted on there right now and quoted directly from Max bashing on this thread? this whole thread is laughable, we are not this stupid
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Where can I order one of these in the U.S., and how much for the one with the regulator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.