R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #946
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

That's pretty good Frank. I'm sure it will get better once she's had a gallon or so through it.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #947
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jakub Kusiewicz

Hi!

In this thread is many many many pages , Can someone tell me opinion about this enging ? i don't have time to read this pages , PLEASE

Regards
Kuba
Jakub Kusiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #948
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kusiewicz View Post
Hi!

In this thread is many many many pages , Can someone tell me opinion about this enging ? i don't have time to read this pages , PLEASE

Regards
Kuba
You want someone to summarize 900+ posts? Some might say if you don't have the time to read yourself, you don't have enough interest.

Try this.

Big bucks
Good mileage
Decent performance
Decent engine life
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #949
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
You want someone to summarize 900+ posts? Some might say if you don't have the time to read yourself, you don't have enough interest.

Try this.

Big bucks
Good mileage
Decent performance
Decent engine life
The new speed is a big jump in power over the old speed. The new xz-b has much milder timing numbers compared to the old v spec but seems to hold it's own in stock form. The only problem i'm seeing is the same gripe i had with the older v spec/speeds, gets low on compression early on. I run my engines crisp and have run speeds and EB v specs for years and have had to replace the p/s/r every 4 gallons. I still have a worlds speed and will continue to rebuild it cuz i damn sure like it. Never had any luck pinching an OS. I need another truggy engine so i just might try a Clockworks XZ-B.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #950
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Man, I never have any compression problems. OS's will never have compression like a nova or other Italian engine, but they always run great for me even with little compression. I've yet to get less than 7 gallons out of an OS p/s. I love the fact that they don't have the ridiculous metal pinch that nova's have. I'd rather have an engine that breaks in quick and runs 7 gallons than an engine that takes 3 gallons to fully break in and runs 10. I just can't waste that much time on break-in. When I break in a new engine I want it ready now, not 3 gallons down the road.

I know you guys will never hear it, but the 20% fuel I run might have something to do with it.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #951
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone View Post
The new speed is a big jump in power over the old speed. The new xz-b has much milder timing numbers compared to the old v spec but seems to hold it's own in stock form. The only problem i'm seeing is the same gripe i had with the older v spec/speeds, gets low on compression early on. I run my engines crisp and have run speeds and EB v specs for years and have had to replace the p/s/r every 4 gallons. I still have a worlds speed and will continue to rebuild it cuz i damn sure like it. Never had any luck pinching an OS. I need another truggy engine so i just might try a Clockworks XZ-B.
my pinch on my speeds do wear but not as fast as you stated what break in method are you using I use the heat cycle work great for all my motors. Also I don't normal pinch but after one set with two gallons 30% Gen2 and the pinch is still super tight which was very surprising since I though it would be gone after a gallon also used the heat method 3 tanks before retuning. Didn't believe in pinching but after this set I'm a believer.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #952
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Man, I never have any compression problems. OS's will never have compression like a nova or other Italian engine, but they always run great for me even with little compression. I've yet to get less than 7 gallons out of an OS p/s. I love the fact that they don't have the ridiculous metal pinch that nova's have. I'd rather have an engine that breaks in quick and runs 7 gallons than an engine that takes 3 gallons to fully break in and runs 10. I just can't waste that much time on break-in. When I break in a new engine I want it ready now, not 3 gallons down the road.

I know you guys will never hear it, but the 20% fuel I run might have something to do with it.
+1
Ive gotten 7-9 gallons on every OS with a dcl crank i ever ran. before dlc id get like 6 and the pin would be too far out of round.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #953
Tech Elite

My 1st speed went into it's 10th gallon before it started to flame out. Next p/s/r set went abt 6 gallons. I had a few speeds at this time. The worse it got is when i switched from byron's to nitrotane. I had 3 good engines lose all compression after 3 gallons of nitrotane. Right now i fitted an older piston to a sleeve that's been holding quite well. My worlds block also got ruined after a supposed "high quality" after market front ceramic bearing locked and spun in the block ruining it. Never had a problem with answer-rc engine bearings, only the bigger buck brand. Lesson learned. So here's what i got, a used v spec block, a crank from my 2nd speed cuz my worlds crank cracked across one of the slugs, a 3 gallon old lightened EB Mods rod, an old v spec piston matched up to an old speed sleeve with the original EB modded back plate and head button and the cooling head is original. How does it run? Just like it did when new after Ed modded it.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
Old 11-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #954
Tech Elite

Quote:
The only problem i'm seeing is the same gripe i had with the older v spec/speeds, gets low on compression early on. I run my engines crisp and have run speeds and EB v specs for years and have had to replace the p/s/r every 4 gallons.
Quote:
My 1st speed went into it's 10th gallon before it started to flame out. Next p/s/r set went abt 6 gallons. I had a few speeds at this time. The worse it got is when i switched from byron's to nitrotane. I had 3 good engines lose all compression after 3 gallons of nitrotane. Right now i fitted an older piston to a sleeve that's been holding quite well. My worlds block also got ruined after a supposed "high quality" after market front ceramic bearing locked and spun in the block ruining it. Never had a problem with answer-rc engine bearings, only the bigger buck brand. Lesson learned. So here's what i got, a used v spec block, a crank from my 2nd speed cuz my worlds crank cracked across one of the slugs, a 3 gallon old lightened EB Mods rod, an old v spec piston matched up to an old speed sleeve with the original EB modded back plate and head button and the cooling head is original. How does it run? Just like it did when new after Ed modded it.
so is it 4 gallons,6 gallons or 10? So is it a OS problem or is it your choice of fuel? your posts seem pretty contradicting and confusing.

Last edited by jpalessi; 11-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #955
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
so is it 4 gallons,6 gallons or 10? So is it a OS problem or is it your choice of fuel? your posts seem pretty contradicting and confusing.
someone just raised the BS flag!! Lol!!
SDRC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #956
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh you must be bored Joe. 1st engine went past 9 probably cuz i ran it richer. Next sleeve only got 6 since it was leaner. After that some poor fuel choices. Then i must say there was a time when new p/s sets were subpar. Your engine man was getting news the big boys in Cali were lucky to get 3 gal outta the p/s sets. Now he wouldn't bullshit would he Joey? How's that .23?
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #957
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Oh you must be bored Joe. 1st engine went past 9 probably cuz i ran it richer. Next sleeve only got 6 since it was leaner. After that some poor fuel choices. Then i must say there was a time when new p/s sets were subpar. Your engine man was getting news the big boys in Cali were lucky to get 3 gal outta the p/s sets. Now he wouldn't bullshit would he Joey? How's that .23?
I was just playin hambone, no hard feelings! And I do have to say it's true we are not having good luck with the js line out here! Makes unbelievable power, just not for long!
SDRC Raceway, San Diego CA
Jomo918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #958
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomo918 View Post
I was just playin hambone, no hard feelings! And I do have to say it's true we are not having good luck with the js line out here! Makes unbelievable power, just not for long!
No hard feelings, i really like OS engines. My EB modded speed always has been a stellar performer. It was modified and bench break in by Ed and ran on EB Mods fuel. Compression done by the 4th gallon. No fault of Ed. I'm sure it was all me, lol.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #959
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomo918 View Post
I'll be out there soon so we'll see whats going on there. im on my third .21 now, my first one i got nine gallons, second one i got eight and my current one has three and runs awesome. I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #960
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'll be out there soon so we'll see whats going on there. im on my third .21 now, my first one i got nine gallons, second one i got eight and my current one has three and runs awesome. I couldn't be happier.
So you running OS now?
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links