Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine >

Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine

Does anyone run the Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine? If so how do you find them.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

go to absolutehobbyz.com and see what they have i know they have the cs7b and kanai evos at a VERY good price!!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Originally Posted by voodoopapa
Does anyone run the Sirio CL3B .21 Off-Road Buggy Engine? If so how do you find them.
I run it in buggy. I runs really smooth ang strong on small to medium tracks. 2013 sirio pipe.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement crankshaft for one of these motors?

thanks,

Brad Shearer
Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run one of these 3 ports in my RC8. I ran over a gallon and a half through it in stock form to get a good feel for it. It had good bottom to mid pull but lacked slightly up top with a JP-4 pipe, stock clutch setup. Runtime was between the 8 to 9 minute mark depending on the day.
After getting a good feel for it, I sent it off to Clockwork Racing Engines ( Maximo ) to get it modified. I can now beat my buddy's CL7B STi, from bottom to top ( he used to smoke me on top end, and we were fairly well matched in the low-to mid ). It's just an amazing engine now, and I get over 10 minutes of runtime. And still running the standard head button. This is an excellent buggy engine to begin with, and after the mod, it's even better. Hope this helps you.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
JUD
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
I run one of these 3 ports in my RC8. I ran over a gallon and a half through it in stock form to get a good feel for it. It had good bottom to mid pull but lacked slightly up top with a JP-4 pipe, stock clutch setup. Runtime was between the 8 to 9 minute mark depending on the day.
After getting a good feel for it, I sent it off to Clockwork Racing Engines ( Maximo ) to get it modified. I can now beat my buddy's CL7B STi, from bottom to top ( he used to smoke me on top end, and we were fairly well matched in the low-to mid ). It's just an amazing engine now, and I get over 10 minutes of runtime. And still running the standard head button. This is an excellent buggy engine to begin with, and after the mod, it's even better. Hope this helps you.
How much was the mod?? You have the link? My CL3B is just sitting here. I won't mind sending it off. Thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

If you PM Maximo, he will give you more details than I'm capable of giving you, or I can PM you his phone number, and you can give him a call. I believe he is currently working on a website, but don't quote me on that. Most of his clients are word of mouth. I know quite a few guys ( personally ), and many on other forums that run his engines, and we all sing the same song.

I also recently put a Clocked P7R in my RC8T ( used to run a CRF .21 ), and HOLY COW, it made me wish I'd have never bought my CRFs. Now I know better I put a video up on Vimeo, I wanted to see what kind of runtime I get from one tank. It's one continuous shot, and I drove hard ( as you can see by all my crashes ) to use as much fuel as possible, that way I get a 'worst case scenario' of the runtime. I a race, I don't push it this hard because I want to keep it on the wheels:
Clockwork Racing Picco P7R
Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Sirio 3-port engine is a very good choice. I know of a few top level racers that have run it, and now the Orion ABI, which is a racing version of the 3-port and the run them in box-stock condition. There's no need to modify the engine - Cody King simply installed a turbo plug and raced it successfully for about half a season. Now he's running the ABI 3-port with comes with a turbo head, ceramic bearings, lightweight head, etc. The standard Alpha is closer to the CL3B in terms of features, but they're both good engines. Modifying these engines even when done properly (which is VERY rare) defeats their purpose. The CL3B and especially the ABI 3-port are designed for smooth power delivery (still lots of power) and great fuel economy. They require about 2 gallons worth of break-in before they really start running well, but when they do, it's a very good engine. I've seen as much as 13.5 minutes on a 125cc tank in a buggy without any additional restriction or throttle EPA adjustment.

FYI - a P7R and the Orion CRF engine are very similar creatures, and they come from the same factory. So, knowing better apparently doesn't include the knowledge that they're very similar engines in many respects.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

...FYI - a P7R and the Orion CRF engine are very similar creatures, and they come from the same factory. So, knowing better apparently doesn't include the knowledge that they're very similar engines in many respects.[/QUOTE]

FYI, I knew that already. They're both Picco based, and the crank is where the similarities end. The P7R has a different feel than the Orion, the CRF has an absurd bottom end punch that's just too much for racing, for most, hence why the American version was produced. I have faith in my engine modder, if you can't feel the difference between the modded version and a stock version, then that's something that you should take up with your engine modder. The Clockwork modded CL3B, with a standard plug, will eat the stock 7 port STi.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Enjoy your "modded" engine.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

I most certainly will, thank-you If you ever need one modded, LMK
Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Thanks for the input. I will consider it. I had a CL7B and it was crazy fast. I tried putting a turbo head in the CL3B and it wouldn't fit.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

I will be trying to put a turbo head button in as soon as I can get one. From what I understand, it was Paul King that suggested using the turbo head button from the CL7B. Try heating up the cylinder with a heat gun, and freezing the button, then try installing it. I had the same issue putting the turbo head from my CRF, into my P7R.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JUD
Thanks for the input. I will consider it. I had a CL7B and it was crazy fast. I tried putting a turbo head in the CL3B and it wouldn't fit.
My mistake!!!! I was using the wrong turbo head!! It actually does fit.....OOPS!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
I will be trying to put a turbo head button in as soon as I can get one. From what I understand, it was Paul King that suggested using the turbo head button from the CL7B. Try heating up the cylinder with a heat gun, and freezing the button, then try installing it. I had the same issue putting the turbo head from my CRF, into my P7R.
I think I used the turbo head from the Evo IV STI tuned... I think the one with the black crankcase is slightly bigger.. Im very sure its a Sirio head button. I thought they were all the same.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.