Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ORION ALPHA 3-PORT

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

Right now there are three shims in place with a cumulative of .6mm total gap.
Orion suggests running a colder plug such as a #7 instead of the recommended #6 but they have not commented on the current gap I have of .6mm If they have left a shim out at the factory and I remove another it could be catastrophic, so I'd rather find out what the normal specification is before I try to remove one to be safe. Orion did suggest staying with the 30% fuel due to the altitude, they also said it was normal for high altitude engines to run hotter, in the range of 260 to 280 degrees. We typically never get them over 250 more like 230 most of the time.
Under Orions suggestions I did a full teardown and inspection of the engine, I did not see any signs of failure anywhere. Everything looks as it should in a brand new motor, no pitting on the button, shiny clean. I have had a wrist pin failure in the past on another motor, trust me I know what a pitten button would look like after chewing on wrist pin fragments and that failure really did kill the glow plug that day bigtime.
I will wait to see what they say on the current clearance gap and I have also ordered some #7's to try. Oh,,,as for the too lean condition, this motor was eating plugs during break-in - very rich - didn't seem to matter. The filaments on failed plugs are not melted (excessive heat) they are simply physically broken.
But I do understand what your saying in reference to increased compression vs. altitude. We have been racing up here for two seasons now with the stock Losi 350's with no troubles at all. Now I have this true racing motor and I have to re-educate my thought process. Thanks Neil...I'll keep trying these ideas, will get it happy eventually.

P.S. No word from PitPop at all, I guess he's on vacation. No response from the PM I left him either.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Smile Plug issues

Thanks PitPop, I will try the steps you outlined in the PM.

Thanks everyone else who provided your valuable input as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,
i just got a very good deal on combo Orion Alpha .21 ABI Discovery Buggy 3 Ports Engine (ORI80657) and Orion EFRA 2013 Tuned Pipe (ORI88217).
Any one know something about the Discovery engine serie i'm not able to find a lot of info online....
I was looking for an easy, smooth low fuel consumption engine for my buggy, hope i did a good move.
Any tips or advice about this engines would be apreciated.
Thansk a lot.
WWD

Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mo Denton
not to highjack the thread to servos but the orion servos are awesome, I have been using them for months with no problem and I came from futaba 351's
I have had the opposite result. I ran Orions on my Losi and my NT1 and I have replaced 1 on each. The servos are great but they didn't seem to hold up that well. Maybe I had a bad servo but when they work they work great.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
I have had the opposite result. I ran Orions on my Losi and my NT1 and I have replaced 1 on each. The servos are great but they didn't seem to hold up that well. Maybe I had a bad servo but when they work they work great.
You do realize you just replied to a 2 year old post..

I just love it when someone resurrects an ancient thread..
Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM
You do realize you just replied to a 2 year old post..

I just love it when someone resurrects an ancient thread..
I resurrect this post but to ask about the Orion Engine Pipe combo described above, but the only reply i got was about servos....
I did something wrong......

Any one about my Orion combo?

WWD