R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Is running rich bad for your engine?

I have had great success on running my engines so there is plenty of blue smoke and plenty of power. I have always told myself as long as it has enough power, no need to make it leaner.

Sometimes it will come off at 190-200. But by the engine running cooler, it seems the internal parts won't expand as much therefore more engine wear and stress compared to someone running at 230-240.

Engine tuners getting 10+ gallons on their engines or anyone who has experience with this, please go in detail on the above.

Thanks!
Kingsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I dont see where it would hurt, but i am by no means a professional engine tuner. I have thought about it too and the only thing i can come up with is the con rod big end could possibly wear faster. It has to work harder to push the piston up because of the extra fuel in the combustion chamber. But there is also more lubrication reaching the con rod from rich settings. Heat is the #1 cause of death in all types of engines, so the cooler you can keep it while still making the power you need the better off you are IMO.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Tech Regular

My Go-Tech 3 port sport has 10+ and I run it between 250 - 300 degrees. Still has as much compression as it did at 3 gallons. I use it today for practice and as a back-up.

I've heard that running rich can be bad due to build up and what not.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i agree with you to a point. And in theory that is what you want, but i personally want the thing to snap. I want the car to move as fast as i feel it should in relation to the trigger. The richer you run the cooler the temps and the less damage/wear on the engine, plus the fuel is a lubricant, more fuel, more lube. But i do tune my motor to be crisp and rip. Also, at times, a little more power can get you outta trouble. JUST MY OPINION!
motoclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

I know if you run them to way to rich you can really load up the crank case and bend a rod but that does not seem to be the case here. I have had motors last 3 gallons and some last 8. I think one of the key items to long motor life, besides the correct running temp, is how you treat it after the run. Roll your piston to the bottom after a run, soaking it down with after run oil when done for the day, cleaning your motor and checking the enternals on a regular basis, etc.
Ride: AE TC4FT
Ride: Losi Slider
Radio:Airtronics M11/Spektrum
Dynamite, LRP, Pro Line, Novak, Avid Bearings
Peak, KingHeadz, Checkpoint.

"Racing is life, everything before or after is just waiting"
DaBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Smile

Ok, thanks for your responses. Keep em' coming.
Kingsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Running rich (to a point) will most likely extend the life of your engine, less rpms, more lube is always good for wear, but I've found that glow plugs seem to die much faster.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default running rich is bad

running rich will give u more power for sure but not all the fuel is burned thats why cars backfire especially tuned up rally cars to keep the turbo hot to keep the boost up but running rich will wipe more oil of the cylinder walls and obviously harm the combustion chamber if your going to run rich only make it run a lil rich and hone the cylinder walls and use slick 50 or oil that has maximum lube
mitsufan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

running too cool, especially during break-in, is NOT good for your engine. These engines are in designed to run in the mid-200s (Fahrenheit), and tolerances are designed for that. You will have increased pinch, and thus increased load on your wristpin, conrod, and crank pin. When these start changing, your port timing also changes. This will drastically hamper the performance of your engine.

Also, although you'll have more lubrication, liquids dont compress. That means than you'll have more resistance at TDC, again causing more stress to the parts mentioned above.

When your engine is properly tuned, it runs better for a reason. 190-200 degrees is not sufficient. You should at least be hitting 230 degrees.
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

running rich is hard on the internals, but depending on engine 200 isn't real rich. But running at better suited temps is safer, better mileage, and throttle control.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Engines have more pinch when cold. The fact that preheating a new engine for start-up is proof positive of that. Up to a point, the cooler your engine runs, the tighter the piston to sleeve clearance. This is caused by the fact that the sleeve expands more than the piston does.

I preheat my engines before EVERY start-up until all the metal pinch is gone. Any time you start your engine that still has pinch you are wearing the piston more. I tune for smoke and performance and never look for a specific operating temp. Doesn't it stand to reason that an engine that is correctly tuned will run cooler at 60F ambient than at 90F? Tuning to a specific temp is a waste of fuel, time, and engines.

Every engine in every truck/buggy runs at a different temp.
Tune your engine to run crisp with good smoke...................and drive it.
motomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I tune for sound and smoke. I want to see some smoke when gunning out of the turn, but mostly clear up on straits to slight smoke trail. You get a feel for it kinda. Must be doing something right as I am constantly getting 10 plus gallons out of my RBs. Think I am going to try werks next though. I like the older rbs better.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsufan99 View Post
running rich will give u more power for sure but not all the fuel is burned thats why cars backfire especially tuned up rally cars to keep the turbo hot to keep the boost up but running rich will wipe more oil of the cylinder walls and obviously harm the combustion chamber if your going to run rich only make it run a lil rich and hone the cylinder walls and use slick 50 or oil that has maximum lube
WTF are you talking about??
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
WTF are you talking about??
+1
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I read a few times to see if I missed something that would make me understand, about 4th time, I realised I didn't miss a thing.
Muggified LST- Teal head 427, RD logic pipe, JR servos, panther tires
morkendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links