Wiki Posts
Search

Head bolt on V-Spec stripped

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Head bolt on V-Spec stripped

Well I wanted to take the head of my V-Spec off the other night and bam now one of the bolts that hold the head on is stripped.What is the easiest way to take care of this?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you have a heat gun try heating up the motor and then removing the screw.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I`ve had this happen top me with a rg.I think os screw are metric ,you could try using a size bigger in standard.If the screw is standard then use a bigger metric.Or you could try to find a small tap& dye set if they make them small enough.IF all else fails ,use a dremel with a cutting blade and cut through the head and cut the top of the screw off.Remove the rest of the srews and back out the the screw out by claping it with channel locks or pliers.You might have to get a new head when you done.IF you need a new head

http://www.speedtechnitro.com/ebprod...id=564&id=7456
Old 08-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Usually when this happens if you take all the other bolts out first, the stripped one will come right out because it's not tight anymore.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks jbrow that makes sense unlike the other posts except the one about the heat gun approach.I can`t cut the bolt because there is no way to get to it and I wanted to take one of the shims out of the head.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

One way is to take jb weld and a old wrench that is broken or whatever. Put the jb weld on it and stick it into the stripped screw and let it sit over night. Next morning it should be in there tight enough so u can take it out. Another way is to cut the screw head off by using a hacksaw and cutting it through one of the slots in the heatsink then drill the screw out of the crankcase.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default stripped hex

ok, this is how you do it .
take a drill bit that is little larger than the shaft size of the bolt , and drill the head of the bolt till you drill the head off the bolt , then remove the head and remove the rest of the bolt that is sticking out of the block with your fingers.
its easy and doesnt ruin anything, if you dont drill too far down when drilling the head , just drill far enouph to remove the head.
you should hear the head pop when you have drilled far enouph.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Do it professionally, it will ensure you the safety and quality.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tom yfz
ok, this is how you do it .
take a drill bit that is little larger than the shaft size of the bolt , and drill the head of the bolt till you drill the head off the bolt , then remove the head and remove the rest of the bolt that is sticking out of the block with your fingers.
its easy and doesnt ruin anything, if you dont drill too far down when drilling the head , just drill far enouph to remove the head.
you should hear the head pop when you have drilled far enouph.
+1! Forget hacksaws and dremels, this is the only way. Had to do it a few times and now I know why Nova based engines have the screws they do (don't know the exact word. )
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

+1 to drilling just make sure you clamp the crank case in a vise with either rubber jaws or a towel on the jaws before trying to drill, you need the engine to stay put so you can drill straight down on the screw, you will want to use the biggest drill bit you can since a metal drilling bit has a steeper angle on the tip and this will make it harder to drill the head off if you use a bit that is the same size as the screws shank, plus drill slowly and if you have it use cutting fluid.