Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Truggy engine choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Truggy engine choices

Hi everyone! I just finished building my new Losi 8ight XT. Now I’m trying to decide which engine to put in it. It’s a real shame that Novarossi is out of business because I was wanting to get a .28 8 port. I’ve also had an LRP .30X in the past but don’t really want another because the quality didn’t seem all that great and the engine didn’t last as long as some of my higher priced engines. Since I’m just “bashing” and not racing, I don’t think I need to spend 5 to 600 dollars on an O.S. .21 of some kind. I’m also hoping to get something bigger than a .21 but would like to buy something that’s quality. Do any manufacturer’s make a quality engine that’s bigger than a .21 anymore? Seems like the Pickens are slim these days unless you’re looking for a .21.
Thanks, Micah
Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

reds usa sells a .23 but is onl available directly through them
token and Micah78 like this.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Yea, not much around.
From Alpha there is the A352 which is a .23 and the T850 which is a .28. Back when Truggies were still around some people ran the A352 here to pretty good success, though I've heard that some are very very tight from the factory so break-in isn't the most fun period.
There's also the Argus .28 which is somewhere between what I'd classify as an entry race engine and an RTR engine, rwmods also has a review video of it on YouTube.

You could also scrounge around Italian shops, some of them might still have some Nova .28s in stock, Gimar has some 28-7s and .25 Roma's listed as in-stock for example. If you like experimenting they also have some LM/Sirio based engines in .24 and .28 in Italian shops, my first experience with a .12 wasn't great but ymmv.
Micah78 likes this.

Last edited by kawasaki161; 04-18-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

There is a ton around... You do not need a .28 or .32 in a Truggy.... The recent .21 motors are just fine, the days of overweight buggy / truggy conversions and heavy tires is over. No need for those dinosaur motors - they just waste fuel, spares are hard to get and wear your drivetrain out.

Get a Blok 21aP, or an FP02 (flashpoint) many other options still out there. That myth about OS being expensive you can put to bed, the FP02 is an OS motor and is 299$
Old 04-18-2021, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Be careful buying from some of the Italian vendors I bought a few engines from them and had good interactions but one has failed to send me engines I bought back on February 2nd. I’m currently trying to get my money back. So just be careful rob who you buy from
Micah78 likes this.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by outcast32
Be careful buying from some of the Italian vendors I bought a few engines from them and had good interactions but one has failed to send me engines I bought back on February 2nd. I’m currently trying to get my money back. So just be careful rob who you buy from
Just out of interest, which one? At this point I only interacted with modellismo e ricambi, rcmodelstore and gimar. All of them have slightly longer shipping times than I'm used to (if you order tuesday, don't expect the package to go out the same week) and gimar seems to have some problems with the shop showing accurate info on actual item stock (though he's very quick to respond to e-mails and I got my money back for stuff that ended up not in stock).
Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
There is a ton around... You do not need a .28 or .32 in a Truggy.... The recent .21 motors are just fine, the days of overweight buggy / truggy conversions and heavy tires is over. No need for those dinosaur motors - they just waste fuel, spares are hard to get and wear your drivetrain out.

Get a Blok 21aP, or an FP02 (flashpoint) many other options still out there. That myth about OS being expensive you can put to bed, the FP02 is an OS motor and is 299$
But the extra torque makes things more fun than a .21, unless it's the Bonito.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cardiak
But the extra torque makes things more fun than a .21, unless it's the Bonito.
You are correct on the extra torque! That is exactly why I’m looking for something bigger than a .21.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
You are correct on the extra torque! That is exactly why I’m looking for something bigger than a .21.
only choice is Lrp .32.
engine is cheaply made but does what you desire with some changes. Novarossi carb and advancing the timing and it is a best.
with that being said my nova 28-7 stock wasn’t that far off in power
1/8 IC Fan and Micah78 like this.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

So as I was looking around on the net, I stumbled across Werks engines. The B5 Pro II looks like a good truggy engine reasonably priced. I realize it’s a .21 but I’m thinking that’s what I’m gonna have to go with if I want quality. Of coarse because of COVID they are out of stock everywhere. I read they were made in Italy. Were they made by Nova? If they were, I guess that explains why they are out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know who makes/made Werks engines?
Old 04-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasaki161
Just out of interest, which one? At this point I only interacted with modellismo e ricambi, rcmodelstore and gimar. All of them have slightly longer shipping times than I'm used to (if you order tuesday, don't expect the package to go out the same week) and gimar seems to have some problems with the shop showing accurate info on actual item stock (though he's very quick to respond to e-mails and I got my money back for stuff that ended up not in stock).
I’ll send you a pm. He answered me on Facebook. But I’ve bought from all the ones you listed and only one has given me problems. He said tomorrow he will send me the tracking number.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

So as I was looking around on the net, I stumbled across Werks engines. The B5 Pro II looks like a good truggy engine reasonably priced. I realize it’s a .21 but I’m thinking that’s what I’m gonna have to go with if I want quality. Of coarse because of COVID they are out of stock everywhere. I read they were made in Italy. Were they made by Nova? If they were, I guess that explains why they are out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know who makes/made Werks engines?
The B5 is a great truggy engine. You can email Ron or ask in one of the Werks threads about it. They're not made by Nova or Picco. I'd send Ron an email and find out when they'll be in stock again.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by frewster
The B5 is a great truggy engine. You can email Ron or ask in one of the Werks threads about it. They're not made by Nova or Picco. I'd send Ron an email and find out when they'll be in stock again.
Thanks, something I can look further into. I’m not saying I’m against a Blok or Flashpoint. If I’m gonna get a .21, I want something proven, that doesn’t cost as much as the kit I just built for the engine/pipe combo
Old 04-18-2021, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, something I can look further into. I’m not saying I’m against a Blok or Flashpoint. If I’m gonna get a .21, I want something proven, that doesn’t cost as much as the kit I just built for the engine/pipe combo
My buddy who had never run nitro before ran a B5 in his truggy for the first time last season and had a great time with it. Just make sure to pair it with a 2013 pipe/manifold for best results. No matter what engine you end up getting, the pipe and manifold will make or break how it performs so I recommend getting what's recommended.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi our engines are made in Italy but not by Nova. As some have mentioned availability is a little spotty right now unfortunately because of Covid. The pandemic really hit Italy first and they implemented a "shelter in place order" like we later did which closed down all of the businesses and factories for a good part of last year. Needless to say that brought production to a halt and but now thankfully things are tarting to improve and it looks like the whole world is getting over Covid and starting to get back to normal again! We have orders in with the factory in Italy and currently have B5-Pro II's in production which I'm expecting to ship in about 2 weeks. Hope that helps a bit and thank you again for your interest in our products!
E1 Diablo, Micah78 and frewster like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.