Search
Like Tree8Likes

Smart break-in system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
- a coupler as an prop mount????
Oh wow, that can't have been someone with an engineering degree who designed this.
30.000+ rpm, the vibrations have to be wild.
Andi
Old 08-13-2022, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof;[url=tel:15929699
15929699[/url]]Wow..... sad to see this. From my engineering sight I wonder..

- Was it a failing engine mount or did it crack as a result of the prop grabbing the frame?
- I see a hollowed engine mount, looks like they used one of an RC car, was it casted?
- a coupler as an prop mount????
- mounting the prop far from the front bearing is asking for more vibrations than needed.

I hope you are getting well out of this.
The engine mounts were made of some type of plastic material. I believe that they had failed (de-laminated) then the engine pivoted causing the prop to hit the front of the box which caused the crank to break and break through the plastic shroud an hit me. After I had contacted them via email they told me they knew of this concern and had designed newer more durable parts consisting of aluminum engine mounts, a metal prop shroud and a new style prop adapter which was nothing more than an electric motor prop adapter. I was never informed of this issue.
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan;[url=tel:15929731
15929731[/url]]So, did they get rid of their website???
Still up and running.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

A little update on the break-in box from Smart Workshop. After ongoing concerns from me about the collet style prop adapter design they finally listened to what I’ve been saying and came up with a new design that I recommend . I’ve tested and tested going through several tanks of fuel and can confirm it does work well. The prop adapter is much like the Hudy design but with key differences to suit the design of the box itself. Also I have suggested to them an update on the installation instructions for the adapter.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dang dude - i woulda smashed that contraption to bits and then shredded it - and lit it on fire afterwards if it did that to my mitt . Sorry brother that looks super painful.

Hope you healed well ... good luck
Old 12-08-2022, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SoCalTazer
Dang dude - i woulda smashed that contraption to bits and then shredded it - and lit it on fire afterwards if it did that to my mitt . Sorry brother that looks super painful.

Hope you healed well ... good luck
. lol I thought about it. I got the engine replaced and was pretty much fine with just that. Could have been a lot worse. Glad that the box works properly now.