Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair Accessible Racetracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Wheelchair Accessible Racetracks

Your help is needed; I am creating nation wide directory of wheelchair accessible racetracks. These racetracks need to have ramped/accessible driver stands, pit area's etc.

Please provide Track Name, Web Address, Physical Address and list what type of track is being referred to, i.e. carpet, dirt, indoor, outdoor. Any other comments are welcome too. This information will be very useful for wheelchair bound individuals like myself.

There are a lot of disabled children/people that would love to compete with others and not have their disability be a factor. RC Racing is perfect for them! Please encourage your club or track to build ramps etc. They may not be used every race day but they are very much appreciated!

Thanks ~MrWheels
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MrWheels
Your help is needed; I am creating nation wide directory of wheelchair accessible racetracks. These racetracks need to have ramped/accessible driver stands, pit area's etc.

Please provide Track Name, Web Address, Physical Address and list what type of track is being referred to, i.e. carpet, dirt, indoor, outdoor. Any other comments are welcome too. This information will be very useful for wheelchair bound individuals like myself.

There are a lot of disabled children/people that would love to compete with others and not have their disability be a factor. RC Racing is perfect for them! Please encourage your club or track to build ramps etc. They may not be used every race day but they are very much appreciated!

Thanks ~MrWheels
I understand why there is a need for ramps for wheelchairs and would like something done to help .

However I don't believe a track has to build a ramp for the handicapped drivers to be in ADA compliance .

ADA accessible doorways & bath room details for sure..

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 04-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

I've only been to Bremerton, and as far as I can tell, it would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to race there. The pits and stand are only accessible by stairs.

All the SoCal tracks have ramps, though, and some even have elaborate setups to make it easier for disabled drivers. Off the top of my head, here's the situation at some tracks I've been to...
SDRC - San Diego, CA - Wide ramp and open balcony off to the side.
OCRC - Huntington Beach, CA - Ramp and center open balcony (with a guard chain when not in use).
West Coast RC Raceway - La Mirada, CA - Ramp and railing opening off to the side.
Pegasus Hobbies - Montclair, CA - Wide ramp and separate area on stand behind railing.
Palm Desert RC Raceway - Palm Desert, CA - Ramp (somewhat steep) and a lift (while driving) for drivers in wheelchairs on the main stand. Also a separate wheelchair ramp/stand off to the side.
Hot Rod Hobbies - Saugus, CA - Ramp. Maybe a gate?
Outback Raceway - Chico, CA - Ramp and railing opening with chains off to the side.
Chula Vista RC Raceway - Chula Vista, CA - Ramp.
Silver Dollar Raceway - Chico, CA - Elaborate ramp setup. Under construction at the time.
Rainman's Hobbies? (Name changes) - Bakersfield, CA - Ramp.
Intermountain RC Raceway - Magna, UT - Wide ramp. Separate lower area for wheelchairs.

Hope this helps with your project.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Legend

Mr Wheel , you started a great topic ...

We are seeing more & more racers with ADA issues these days even at Trcr ...

Agree more can & should be done to help the handicap enjoy the sport .
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wild Cherry, you are right I don't believe ramped drivers stands are ADA compliant issues. They are customer service issues. This is why I'm creating the directory. I've found that it's a small minority of the tracks that are wheelchairs friendly. I have a 9 and 7 yr old and we love racing! This is something we can do together and is always fun.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

here in yakima the its county code there has to be a wheelchair acs driver stand we are right now building a new track
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Rcplus in Salem ore we have a indoor carpet track that we race both off-road and on-road on we have a area next to the stand where wheel chairs can move closer to track (for better vis) and we have bricks to raise up pit tables if to low for wheel chair to get under! Our area is very under unitized and we in the past have had a ramp and it was not capable of being to code (just not enough room)so we no longer have a raised area but we have acc restrooms and well do all we can to make your race a fun one!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

North west hobbies in albany oregon is. 2220 three lakes rd 541 704 0457 in door clay off road, Indoor rock crawling indoor drifting.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hank Perry Raceway
1901 N Sullivan Rd
Spokane Valley Wa.

We have a nice pit area and ramp to the
drivers Stand.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcplus
Rcplus in Salem ore we have a indoor carpet track that we race both off-road and on-road on we have a area next to the stand where wheel chairs can move closer to track (for better vis) and we have bricks to raise up pit tables if to low for wheel chair to get under! Our area is very under unitized and we in the past have had a ramp and it was not capable of being to code (just not enough room)so we no longer have a raised area but we have acc restrooms and well do all we can to make your race a fun one!
We also looked in to it. With a ramp to be to code we would need over 60 feet of ramp. We are open to ideas. We will be thinking and discussing this issue.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Initiate

We are having a few issues here in georgia on the stands beeing accessible. There is really only one good track that is has a ramp but the stand is only wide enough for one chair. There is another track that has a stair lift but not everyone can use a lift because they are quads. Then the other tracks are not making any effots to change their stand, i have been in it for a year and made it clear to all the tracks in georgia that i would be around for a while when i first started last year. Now there are 2 others racing so we are running into problems. The one good one is called loganville rc (loganvillerc.com) great track just needs some adjusments to the stand. I just created a group on facebook called wheelchair rc racers. Feel free to join it and we can get everyone together and show the industry that we are out there and the tracks need to be wheelchair friendly.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Kingmx818
We are having a few issues here in georgia on the stands beeing accessible. There is really only one good track that is has a ramp but the stand is only wide enough for one chair. There is another track that has a stair lift but not everyone can use a lift because they are quads. Then the other tracks are not making any effots to change their stand, i have been in it for a year and made it clear to all the tracks in georgia that i would be around for a while when i first started last year. Now there are 2 others racing so we are running into problems. The one good one is called loganville rc (loganvillerc.com) great track just needs some adjusments to the stand. I just created a group on facebook called wheelchair rc racers. Feel free to join it and we can get everyone together and show the industry that we are out there and the tracks need to be wheelchair friendly.
These are all offroad tracks im talking about