Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
2013 Northwest Asphalt Challenge >

2013 Northwest Asphalt Challenge

2013 Northwest Asphalt Challenge

Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Thinking about trying Nitro Sedan. Is there a monetary cap on motors? Which .12 3 port motor should I get? I prefer reliability over all out performance.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up Nova-Based or OS

Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
Thinking about trying Nitro Sedan. Is there a monetary cap on motors? Which .12 3 port motor should I get? I prefer reliability over all out performance.

Thanks,
Jim
Hey Jim,
No $ limit on Engines however, the expensive options are not always the best choice. The OS .12XZ is very good and available for $270 from Stormers. A Main will sell the Novarossi 353 Race 2009 for $202.49 w/free ground shipping. the Nove Plus 12 3SCT is around $270 as is the MAX Power RR3. It gets more expensive from there as Nova offers the "Flash" series and the "Keep On" famlies of engines in various flavors and prices.

Kyosho America has their version of the Orion Wasp CRF .12 X312T for $200, they also have the V One RRR Shimo edition for $376 while they last. RC Mushroom might still offer the Mugen MTX5 (first batch complete w/problems that have now been solved by the "Die Hard Mugen Faithful"), for $354 I believe, and the Xray 2013 NT1 is about to emerge and contend !

Much "Food 4 Thought".........
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el salvador
Hey Jim,
No $ limit on Engines however, the expensive options are not always the best choice. The OS .12XZ is very good and available for $270 from Stormers. A Main will sell the Novarossi 353 Race 2009 for $202.49 w/free ground shipping. the Nove Plus 12 3SCT is around $270 as is the MAX Power RR3. It gets more expensive from there as Nova offers the "Flash" series and the "Keep On" famlies of engines in various flavors and prices.

Kyosho America has their version of the Orion Wasp CRF .12 X312T for $200, they also have the V One RRR Shimo edition for $376 while they last. RC Mushroom might still offer the Mugen MTX5 (first batch complete w/problems that have now been solved by the "Die Hard Mugen Faithful"), for $354 I believe, and the Xray 2013 NT1 is about to emerge and contend !

Much "Food 4 Thought".........
Thanks for all the insight. I know it's tiresome to answer the, "what's the best ?????" questions all the time. I'm currently running a Serpent S411 TC so I'm a fan of their stuff. I will likely run just electric the first couple of events and check out what everyone else is running in nitro sedan; then I'll make a decision on motor and chassis.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

The only tracks I foresee able to run a decent gas sedan is of course TZ and Fantasy World. Fastrax and 4S are a little small and Bremerton they are not allowed....

On a side note the TZGP is July 19-21 and Fantasy World's Summer Sizzler is August 9-11.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
The only tracks I foresee able to run a decent gas sedan is of course TZ and Fantasy World. Fastrax and 4S are a little small and Bremerton they are not allowed....

On a side note the TZGP is July 19-21 and Fantasy World's Summer Sizzler is August 9-11.
Well Kyle
I remember the first big Onroad races at 4season and there were gas classes and scott brown was the first win with his NTC3....
FASTRAX Gas just low turnout...
Pull out the second gear.run taller first gear...
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Logi Maker

Not to disagree Kyle but, last year, only Lem and myself showed at 4 Seasons with Nitro TC's and Mr Shook would have allowed us to run them (we decided not to). Fasttrax actually was a very good Nitro experience for Lem, Mike, John T and (my bad luck not withstanding} myself. So please refrain from discouraging Nitro TC attendance, eh ?

Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
Thanks for all the insight. I know it's tiresome to answer the, "what's the best ?????" questions all the time. I'm currently running a Serpent S411 TC so I'm a fan of their stuff. I will likely run just electric the first couple of events and check out what everyone else is running in nitro sedan; then I'll make a decision on motor and chassis.

Thanks again,

Jim
Jim,

I'm the guy who bought that Hudy 1/8th scale setup station from you at the previous year ECC. The engines I already mentioned are very good for the money. As for "whats the best" becomes subjective in a "screeming hurry". At last years FWR Summer Sizzler, our Slapmaster buddy had his low run time Novarossi "High end Ceramic bearinged Wizzbang engine whose model designation I can't recall, devolop a mechanical issue rendering it unrunnable, to which Mike Clifton loaned our Slapmaster hero a OS TZ from his Pit Bag. Brian proceded install said TZ, get it "Dailed", TQ, and go on to display one of the best overall Race performances I've ever seen. The point being, OS makes excellent engines and Brain got the most out of it.

The Nova 353 Race 2009 is considered to be one of the best value, bang 4$$$'s options out there right now, I got one for $202.49 and a spare Conrod ($26.49) from A Main about a week ago just to have for backup. I have the predesessor to the TZ, (.12TR PT) in one of my cars, it still runs strong ! (well, atleast Kyle couldn't kill it!).

I recommend not waiting to get a car. If Serpent is your favorite MFG, the 747 is a great choice and as an added bonus, if you were to decide to attend the TZGP, there will likely be great factory support from Serpent with the pressence of Paolo Morganti and Scott Kimbrow !

More "Food 4 Thought"
Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Not discouraging it by any means... just read it as he was looking to get one for the NWAC and to weigh his options.... I take care of my fellow carpet racers. Ha!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Woohoo!! I'm ready! Can I register for all five races right now!?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Jim,

Glad you are going to race some nitro with us!!

Richard,

Soon, yes soon registration will be open, the sun will be shining, and we will be laying down some fast laps with friends. Very soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bshookup
Jim,

Glad you are going to race some nitro with us!!

Richard,

Soon, yes soon registration will be open, the sun will be shining, and we will be laying down some fast laps with friends. Very soon.
I don't think richard is running his Nitro any more...he's running the VTA
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
I don't think richard is running his Nitro any more...he's running the VTA
Yeah well he has cookies
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gwhiz
Yeah well he has cookies
Hey don't get me wrong about Nitro ..I like them.. A pit person it isn't easy to come by...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bshookup
"Give The People What They Want!"

I hope you are all looking forward to racing at Timezone in June as much as I am. It is a great facility, and Rick is gracious for opening up his back yard RC paradise for us. It is a simple change to run the long track vs. the short track, and after registration starts, those that register can vote their preference. There are of course advantages and disadvantages to either scenario, and I trust racers will have fun on either the short or long course.

A couple weeks ago I raced at NorCal Hobbies in the 17.5 class. I was pretty fast in qualifying, but things fell apart in the main. I snapped an axle in my S1 and had to run some Associated CVDs that weren't the best fit and I gambled and lost with my motor setup. In the main I was slower than a couple cars that qualified behind me, especially on the straight. I had some fun battles with them, and even though NorCal's straight is fairly long, it wasn't long enough for them to get past me, and I forced them to pass me in the infield. Although I suppose possibly annoying to the other drivers who obviously had faster cars, I enjoyed the fight. I may have missed this opportunity in a similar situation on TZ's full course.

I must say, Dang was it fun to run some asphalt down in CA!! I can't wait until our season starts up here!!!!
I saw your name in the results, I figured you were getting a head start on the Reedy Race.. Whats a S1?

oh and I'll be there Friday. (norcal that is)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skypilot
I saw your name in the results, I figured you were getting a head start on the Reedy Race.. Whats a S1?

oh and I'll be there Friday. (norcal that is)
http://www.reflexracing.net/SPR-S1ST...it_p_1415.html
Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TP 32's and 36's

Anybody know if any local hobby store carrying the spec tires we're running for the series?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.