Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts >

Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts

Columbia County Area, RC Enthusiasts

Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kim day
Lipos,brushless motor systems,2.4 radios,way better plastics.So why are the local tracks,running track layouts from 30 years ago.Have not seen a single rhythm section where you must checkup as not to over jump and then floor it to make the next section.How about off angle jumps with off angle landings.Or any jump that requires a tap of the brakes in the air .I have just gotten accustom to supercross style tracks.Last time I went to topgear other than trying to set a really fast lap time ,track had no challenges to overcome,no learning to be done other than car setup.I like topgear would like to see more difficulty from the track layouts.Rc cars have come a really long way in the last couple of years,should not our tracks do the same.What do you think.
Well I must admit I like both styles of tracks, and they are just that, styles. So when you are on most modern day tracks, I think there are more opportunities for close back and forth racing. People don't have to think as much to stay on the track right side up. lol. Sure most tracks require timing to get the best line, but if you don't have a good line, you are not on your lid or fighting to keep the car straight. That is also why Firridge is soo fun as well. You have to figure out what works and what doesn't or else you easily be on your lid or the other lane. There is not a timer system, so that removes the need to try to beat your times, its all about figuring out how to get around the track the best way you can. So it teaches you how to approach jumps, whoops, table tops, etc. At the same time though what it lost in learning driving lines. If we had firridge then had a on-road course, that would be perfect, then you can learn how to blend proper driving lines and incorporate how to approach the jumps, and now you have opened up even more possible lines. In learning the fun of jumps, some of the newer drivers don't learn that going big, doesn't always mean going fast. Now I also know that it's fun to go big, even if you know it technically isn't the fastest.
Now obviously people that have watch racing and have racing of some form in there blood for many years understand the importance of both driving lines and approach. Sometimes you have to roll over a whoop so you can setup for the corner.

So think about a new driver... he can't understand why someone is so much faster than him on a modern track. This new driver doesn't crash, makes all the jumps just like the fast guys. So what is his conclusion? that they must have better gear and he needs to put more money into it to drive like the fast guys? Well what is hard to see on super-cross style tracks, is that fast guy knows when to go deep into the corner and apex late, or approach a sweeper out-in-out.

To sum it all up In my opinion, there is different fun to be had on the different style tracks and I enjoy the diversity of it all!

Last edited by RC_Woody; 03-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kim day
Lipos,brushless motor systems,2.4 radios,way better plastics.So why are the local tracks,running track layouts from 30 years ago.Have not seen a single rhythm section where you must checkup as not to over jump and then floor it to make the next section.How about off angle jumps with off angle landings.Or any jump that requires a tap of the brakes in the air .I have just gotten accustom to supercross style tracks.Last time I went to topgear other than trying to set a really fast lap time ,track had no challenges to overcome,no learning to be done other than car setup.I like topgear would like to see more difficulty from the track layouts.Rc cars have come a really long way in the last couple of years,should not our tracks do the same.What do you think.
Well, my opinion isn't worth much, but it is this: From what I have seen, for a large part of the racing crowd, it's all about lap times and who can get the lowest time. That means lots of speed with easily flowing layouts. I know some do want more challenges, but it seems like most of what I hear about are lap times and low turn mod motors. I don't even use my transponder when I practice. I don't want to know my times. I just want to practice and learn to drive better and drive a better line. Yes, you can compare your times with your line using your transponder, but I find it distracting for me because I would then concentrate on trying to be faster - not better. Not a good thing for me. Get better and I will get faster. I want to learn to drive better, then maybe I'll pop that "little box" back into my critter!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LadiesFirst
Well, my opinion isn't worth much, but it is this: From what I have seen, for a large part of the racing crowd, it's all about lap times and who can get the lowest time. That means lots of speed with easily flowing layouts. I know some do want more challenges, but it seems like most of what I hear about are lap times and low turn mod motors. I don't even use my transponder when I practice. I don't want to know my times. I just want to practice and learn to drive better and drive a better line. Yes, you can compare your times with your line using your transponder, but I find it distracting for me because I would then concentrate on trying to be faster - not better. Not a good thing for me. Get better and I will get faster. I want to learn to drive better, then maybe I'll pop that "little box" back into my critter!
+1 I totally agree. At some point though when you make it around the track consistently how do you really know that your driving better/faster? I think people do become overly obsessed with lap times though. If used right it can be a helpful learning tool. I feel its not just for counting laps and times during races, but can be useful in practice.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
+1 I totally agree. At some point though when you make it around the track consistently how do you really know that your driving better/faster? I think people do become overly obsessed with lap times though. If used right it can be a helpful learning tool. I feel its not just for counting laps and times during races, but can be useful in practice.
You are right and I do agree Woody. Just right now, I need to work on my driving and if I hear my lap times - good or bad - I tend to sabotage myself. I agree with using the transponders to see if you are improving on practice laps (and I have done that in the past), but for now I tend to "trip over" my lap times. A new psychological thing that I intend to get over once I can get more practice time and build more confidence. I used to race a lot better than I do now - I have video that shows it , but I don't run very often now so can't expect much. I'm also intimidated more by the fast guys in stock these days. The equipment has improved so much more than when I used to run the XXT, but everyone was on a more level playing field back then. I'm thinking I just need to get more practice and work on my confidence and tell myself that I can drive this thing better than I have been. For now, racing is the furthest thing from my mind, or knowing my lap times. Have a bad habit of getting lazy on the track unless there is someone out there to run against. Will probably need new batteries when it does come time to race, but that's a long time off from now . . . if ever.

Hope to see you out at Darrell's sometime soon.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Woody and the rest of you guys.....I'm thinking about parting with 1 or maybe possibly two of my Tekin RX8's. One is new that was soldered up , but I thought there was something wrong with it , but there wasn't.....i just wasn't doing the binding right until Jesse showed me how. The other one is slightly used but still looks brand new. Both are updated with the new 223 firmware.

I can't remember who it was.....but someone asked me if I was willing to part with one. At the time I was thinking "no".......but I think I'm going to try out that new Viper VTX8 ESC with the progauge and see how it goes. I only need one other ESC anyways.

Probably $155.00 on the new one and $145.00 for the one with little use if anyone is interested.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Hey Woody and the rest of you guys.....I'm thinking about parting with 1 or maybe possibly two of my Tekin RX8's. One is new that was soldered up , but I thought there was something wrong with it , but there wasn't.....i just wasn't doing the binding right until Jesse showed me how. The other one is slightly used but still looks brand new. Both are updated with the new 223 firmware.

I can't remember who it was.....but someone asked me if I was willing to part with one. At the time I was thinking "no".......but I think I'm going to try out that new Viper VTX8 ESC with the progauge and see how it goes. I only need one other ESC anyways.

Probably $155.00 on the new one and $145.00 for the one with little use if anyone is interested.
sold/dibs on the new one! I want to put one in Mary's rig. I know the Vipers had some issues early on, but I heard they had fix most of them. I have no problem letting you be the guinea pig!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

sold/dibs on the new one! I want to put one in Mary's rig. I know the Vipers had some issues early on, but I heard they had fix most of them. I have no problem letting you be the guinea pig!
Uuhhgg!......Now you're giving me second thoughts hehe. Just kiddin'.....I don't mind testing out some new high end stuff every once in a while if I think it has a good chance of succeeding. Kind of like my Reedy 2100KV motor I have.....I hadn't seen anyone use one , but I know Reedy makes good quality stuff so I gave it a shot. Love that motor BTW. Besides.....it Lets us all know weather we'll like em' or not. I'll bring the new one down with me this next weekend if the weather holds out. It's calling for on and off rain over the next 3-4 days.....I may just end up working if that's the case.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503
Uuhhgg!......Now you're giving me second thoughts hehe. Just kiddin'.....I don't mind testing out some new high end stuff every once in a while if I think it has a good chance of succeeding. Kind of like my Reedy 2100KV motor I have.....I hadn't seen anyone use one , but I know Reedy makes good quality stuff so I gave it a shot. Love that motor BTW. Besides.....it Lets us all know weather we'll like em' or not. I'll bring the new one down with me this next weekend if the weather holds out. It's calling for on and off rain over the next 3-4 days.....I may just end up working if that's the case.
yeah just give me a call. I can swing by the track. I think with it being a "Kid" weekend and most likely rain, I probably won't come down and run. Any excuse to come down and hang for a bit though... If not there is always the next weekend. of course the new one being "already soldered up" I might have to ding you based on your soldering job j/k.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

yeah just give me a call. I can swing by the track. I think with it being a "Kid" weekend and most likely rain, I probably won't come down and run. Any excuse to come down and hang for a bit though... If not there is always the next weekend. of course the new one being "already soldered up" I might have to ding you based on your soldering job j/k.

If you appraise the ESC by the looks of my soldering job.......it would be worth about $26.00 HA! Nah....she's in great shape......I never got to use the damn thing! Me , Darrell , Gary and a few others all thought the ESC was bad since we couldn't get the Neutral , full throttle , full brake end points to work.....until Jesse showed up and said " Hey...can I try something out real quick?".....he had it up and running in about 5 seconds!

Speaking of which.......Jesse says he sets all his RX8's like that.....which isn't the way the book explains how to do it.....but it worked great.

I'll keep you updated Woody on bring that thing down. Not sure if I can drive this weekend either but I don't mind making a trip down and dropping it off.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Sat 3/23

so long as the "R" word holds off, track will be open at 9:30am both Sat. and Sun.

Who is all coming tomorrow?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Firridge 3/24/13

Rest of the pics from yesterday. I posted some to Facebook, but didn't want to blow it up.
http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Woo...ceway%20032413

I tried loading up the video, but it didn't take, so I will try again tonight.
I may play with editing it some more. I actually have about 4 or 5 long videos that I quickly pieced together and posted on FB.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Great pics Woody!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default Firridge March 24th Video

So I think its safe to say this is my first video like this. I could of fiddled with this video forever! So I'm leaving it where its at. Sorry if there are any ads Photobucket may add. If you want to view it ad free look at my Facebook page.

Here is the link:
http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Woo...idge3.mp4.html
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default Gen Ace 4s in Stock

Get em while they are in stock!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...se-direct.html