Wiki Posts
Search

Bremerton R/C Raceway, On-Road

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If we have it my way, (for the main track) we will be doing permanent painted concrete curbs, in a track layout that is somewhat permanent, but also semi-modular, like WLRC's track, with painted off-sections and painted perimeter.

But.. I only get $.02 like any body else. I don't get to make the decisions.

But I do know, that before we go any further, we need experienced onroad racers to test the lower track's surface to make sure it will work. Traction type, and traction levels have to be up to par before we proceed with starting on the main/upper/larger track area. I myself plan on going down this Sunday to do a few packs to test traction levels.
+1 on the curbs and semi-permanent layout!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Cool

What about these? They are cool!
http://roadrailracing.com/home.htm
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've raced on tracks with Road Rail and have to disagree completely. It looks horrible in use. Its only value is that it is light. but thats just my .02.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87b5B...layer_embedded

So far it looks great guys. Keep it up !!! I'll try to make a trip when possible.

I'd just use some sort of hybrid permanent track. Consider adding some deeply set anchors so you can attach "soft" barriers near the permanent concrete berms. So the barriers are forgiving but don't move.

Personally I'd want to see some way to of changing the layout a bit so it doesn't get too stagnant.
... just thinking out loud.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
How smooth did it end up?

Pan car smooth?
for years FW ran pan car, its perfectly fine on a parking lot. you don't need "smooth"
Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CvlO...layer_embedded
So, as far as your berms and barriers....with the painted layout , this might be all you really need. ( note the hard barrier to make sure nobody gets T boned or a Head on, going down the straight )

( btw, I can't take credit for this, Alex, my bro sent me the clip a while ago )

Jake
Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
I've raced on tracks with Road Rail and have to disagree completely. It looks horrible in use. Its only value is that it is light. but thats just my .02.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87b5B...layer_embedded

So far it looks great guys. Keep it up !!! I'll try to make a trip when possible.

I'd just use some sort of hybrid permanent track. Consider adding some deeply set anchors so you can attach "soft" barriers near the permanent concrete berms. So the barriers are forgiving but don't move.

Personally I'd want to see some way to of changing the layout a bit so it doesn't get too stagnant.
... just thinking out loud.
well, the website made it look really cool...
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Flakfizer
the track is sealed and the infields painted. i did some tire wear testing today and with no MD on the track tire wear is good. i put 3 packs on a used set of team powers and they still have alot of life in them. There will be a small Hobby Shop on site, and power (bring your extension chords).
The layout on this track is not very technical, but not to worry. this will end up being a very scale looking track that can be ran as an oval or with the infield. This is so novice drivers or people new to RC in general won't be intimidated. With that the "upper" level (much Larger) track project is already under way and will be not only huge but as technical as we want to make it.

we were thinking a few permanent islands and with that we can redesign the track between them. your feedback is needed
what is the best material to use for lane dividers?
permanent islands or just open track surface?
any other input?

upper level http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9rJCm4KyYw&feature=plcp

lower progress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr27qvnSowk&feature=plcp
I'd give a call to Norcal and ask what they use for borders, its very forgiving and easy to install/rearrange for track change, while curbs are cool and all that, in the end they limit the available track designs. SIR had them and paid dearly to have them removed later. (of course some of them were true "curbs" lol) if you go with curbs make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing.

I like the layout on the lower track. you guys are doing a awesome job.

Brandon, what time are you thinking about testing, I may ride over on the bike and watch. maybe run a couple of packs in the T/A car.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CvlO...layer_embedded
So, as far as your berms and barriers....with the painted layout , this might be all you really need. ( note the hard barrier to make sure nobody gets T boned or a Head on, going down the straight )

( btw, I can't take credit for this, Alex, my bro sent me the clip a while ago )

Jake
while quick and easy, I greatly dislike that open set up and wouldn't run it.

(btw, is that that one guy thats really good at hacking and crying)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I've raced on tracks with Road Rail and have to disagree completely. It looks horrible in use. .
Couldn't agree more.. They look as cheesy as cheesy gets.
Originally Posted by skypilot
Brandon, what time are you thinking about testing, I may ride over on the bike and watch. maybe run a couple of packs in the T/A car.
I am not sure on the time yet.. I was going to talk to Bryan during racing this Saturday, and find a time when he would be down there. If I had to guess, I would say 11am-ish? When I find out, I can post here what time we plan on meeting up down there.
while curbs are cool and all that, in the end they limit the available track designs.
I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree here. I have been doing a lot of talking with skiddins, the guy who designed and built WLRC, and he showed me this.. their layout options from a permanent curb built track. This gives you 24+ layouts if you count running it in reverse. Even though parts of the track are the same in each layout.. the overall flow, length, and how technical, seems to be pretty variable. But.. again.. i make no decisions, I only get $.01 (i already used one cent up)

Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

while quick and easy, I greatly dislike that open set up and wouldn't run it.
did you imagine it with painted lines ?

the nice thing is, the berms can be permanent but the interior can be versatile over time. Maybe only the green paint on the out of bounds parts in the obviously permanent parts of the layout and use "hard" barriers where its temporary ( just as most tracks do ). The "green" painted areas should work well to keep people from overshooting as much... which might make for better drivers if "hard" barriers are NOT everywhere ! Socially acceptable beatings might take place on the drivers stand... but the point will be made and everyone will be the better for it ! I'm actually not joking !
Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

did you imagine it with painted lines ?
!
One of the reasons I am pushing for a curbed track like WLRC, is that I am a firm believer in the idea that a great LOOKING RC track really adds to the experience. And what a better way than to have an RC track that actually looks like an actual race track.... I guess im down to $.00. I'm excited.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Lord

And those of you guys that aren't familiar with what WLRC is like.. just take a look and honestly tell me what you wouldnt' give to be able to run on a track similar to this?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

One of the reasons I am pushing for a curbed track like WLRC, is that I am a firm believer in the idea that a great LOOKING RC track really adds to the experience. And what a better way than to have an RC track that actually looks like an actual race track.... I guess im down to $.00. I'm excited.
I couldn't agree more. I really think that aesthetics are a big deal, but I also like some versatility too. The hard part is making something versatile look great and functional. I think you are on the right track on both.

I'll shut up now and you can have my remaining cent !

Cheers,

Jake
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Couldn't agree more.. They look as cheesy as cheesy gets.
I am not sure on the time yet.. I was going to talk to Bryan during racing this Saturday, and find a time when he would be down there. If I had to guess, I would say 11am-ish? When I find out, I can post here what time we plan on meeting up down there.

I respect your opinion, but I gotta disagree here. I have been doing a lot of talking with skiddins, the guy who designed and built WLRC, and he showed me this.. their layout options from a permanent curb built track. This gives you 24+ layouts if you count running it in reverse. Even though parts of the track are the same in each layout.. the overall flow, length, and how technical, seems to be pretty variable. But.. again.. i make no decisions, I only get $.01 (i already used one cent up)

every one of those layouts has the same straight followed by the next 3 or 4 turns (right to left) and that is exactly what I was saying, not saying its a bad thing, just saying it limts changing it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Lord

I couldn't agree more. I really think that aesthetics are a big deal, but I also like some versatility too. The hard part is making something versatile look great and functional. I think you are on the right track on both.

I'll shut up now and you can have my remaining cent !

Cheers,

Jake
Can't wait to race with you again, Jake!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.