Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Started in Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting Started in Racing

I'm fairly new to the RC scene, but am looking into getting started with racing. While I love just bashing around in the parking lot or street with friends, I'm far too competitive to have that be enough. My questions are these, I know that there are places to race in the Portland/Salem metro area for both on-road (Rose City)/off-road (PDX RC Raceway/Dave's RC) and electric or nitro classes. My question relating to this is what should I start with and which car do you recommend? I like the idea of nitro because of the sound, but I only have experience with electric. Is one better for starting with? I'm open to any and all suggestions and do not have any reservations towards any specific class or power type. Just would like to know what most people race in the area so I don't buy something that there is no class for. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

I think you should try and show up out at the timezone GT enduro race. It would give you an idea of what a GREAT on-road facility we have access to here, and what a good entry level nitro car is like.

I started RC racing a little over a year ago with an electric World GT car. It is a good place to start IMHO. But really only racing in the winter.

A stock electric sedan is the best all around car. There is a good car count, summer and winter.

Either way (on or off road), be sure of what you want out of your racing,
and give it a shot.

I'm having a blast on-road.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First two questions back at you, how often do you want to race and how far do you want to drive to do so?

For electric you have...

For OnRoad, in the summer, there are intermittent races at Timezone's outdoor track and with the Rose City group. Miss a race and the next one might not be for a couple weeks. In the winter there is TZ's indoor carpet track in WA and RCplus in Salem. RCplus typically races Tuesday nights and sporadic Saturdays, I think TZ races Thursday nights and sporadic Saturdays.

For OffRoad, you can race electric at PRCR Tuesday and Friday nights year-round with Dave's on Saturdays and some Sundays in the summer and then PRCR picks up the weekend dates from fall to spring.

If you're in the metro Portland area, you'll be driving either north or south a ways to race OnRoad and on more limited days. For Offroad, you have three days a week of racing much closer in year-round

Your answer to where and how often will then dictate what kind of car to head into but you really need to know what type of racing you want to do before people come by "shouting out" random cars at you to buy or the thread will just become "noise."

I'd didn't even mention Nitro because, at least for myself, I could never justify the cost of keeping a car and the necessary support equipment for a race season that runs only a few months a year. In your case, buying one at the end of September means you might as well wait and buy one next April.

To expand on Jeff's answer above mine, the best thing for you to do is to go to the different tracks in the area and see what you like best in terms of the type of racing then look for a specific car for that type of racing. You can start by heading out to PRCR tonight
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MarkA
First two questions back at you, how often do you want to race and how far do you want to drive to do so?

For electric you have...

For OnRoad, in the summer, there are intermittent races at Timezone's outdoor track and with the Rose City group. Miss a race and the next one might not be for a couple weeks. In the winter there is TZ's indoor carpet track in WA and RCplus in Salem. RCplus typically races Tuesday nights and sporadic Saturdays, I think TZ races Thursday nights and sporadic Saturdays.

For OffRoad, you can race electric at PRCR Tuesday and Friday nights year-round with Dave's on Saturdays and some Sundays in the summer and then PRCR picks up the weekend dates from fall to spring.

If you're in the metro Portland area, you'll be driving either north or south a ways to race OnRoad and on more limited days. For Offroad, you have three days a week of racing much closer in year-round

Your answer to where and how often will then dictate what kind of car to head into but you really need to know what type of racing you want to do before people come by "shouting out" random cars at you to buy or the thread will just become "noise."

I'd didn't even mention Nitro because, at least for myself, I could never justify the cost of keeping a car and the necessary support equipment for a race season that runs only a few months a year. In your case, buying one at the end of September means you might as well wait and buy one next April.

To expand on Jeff's answer above mine, the best thing for you to do is to go to the different tracks in the area and see what you like best in terms of the type of racing then look for a specific car for that type of racing. You can start by heading out to PRCR tonight
I wouldn't mind racing every week and year round if it was close enough, otherwise, probably a couple times a month if I had to drive a little farther.

For off-road racing, I think I prefer short course trucks over buggies. I've watched a few races of each and short course just seems a litter easier as far as handling is concerned? Maybe it's just my perception. Also, is it better to start with 2wd or 4wd?

Originally Posted by JeffHolt
I think you should try and show up out at the timezone GT enduro race. It would give you an idea of what a GREAT on-road facility we have access to here, and what a good entry level nitro car is like.

I started RC racing a little over a year ago with an electric World GT car. It is a good place to start IMHO. But really only racing in the winter.

A stock electric sedan is the best all around car. There is a good car count, summer and winter.

Either way (on or off road), be sure of what you want out of your racing,
and give it a shot.

I'm having a blast on-road.

Jeff
Do you know details of the GT enduro race? I check on TZ's website and didn't see anything about it. In the electric sedan class, is most of the racing with foam tires for indoor tracks? I like the idea of the 1/8th GT class as I'm a big fan of LeMans and F1 racing. How's the 1/10th on-road class?

So many choices and things to think about. Keep the questions and suggestions coming and thanks for the advice.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Saleen326
For off-road racing, I think I prefer short course trucks over buggies. I've watched a few races of each and short course just seems a litter easier as far as handling is concerned? Maybe it's just my perception. Also, is it better to start with 2wd or 4wd?
I race 2&4wd SC myself. They are definitely more forgiving than a buggy and I'd describe them as very easy to get in the ballpark with, very hard to get that last tenth of a second out of. You can also do more door-to-door racing with them without having one or both parties wind up rolled over as a result. As well, if you land a few degrees off on a jump, you're more likely to have the larger tires absorb it and drive off than snap an A-arm and so on.

You'd want to start with a 2wd one though. My 4wd SC truck is a moneypit and 4wd SC is only ran as an open motor class so they can be much less forgiving as a result.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MarkA
I race 2&4wd SC myself. They are definitely more forgiving than a buggy and I'd describe them as very easy to get in the ballpark with, very hard to get that last tenth of a second out of. You can also do more door-to-door racing with them without having one or both parties wind up rolled over as a result. As well, if you land a few degrees off on a jump, you're more likely to have the larger tires absorb it and drive off than snap an A-arm and so on.

You'd want to start with a 2wd one though. My 4wd SC truck is a moneypit and 4wd SC is only ran as an open motor class so they can be much less forgiving as a result.
Mark, thanks for the responses. So a 2wd SC would be a good starting point to get my feet wet with racing? What are your thoughts on brands and scale? I've been considering the SC10 and HPI Blitz. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

I've been considering racing again, did it back in the late 80's early 90's. Been doing some research, as things have drastically changed, obviously. One thing I can't seem to answer, is how many battery packs should you have for electric 1/10 on or offroad? It used to be one per run per day, to keep them in good shape, but with LiPo packs I'm not sure, can they be run multiple times a day? Should I plan on one per round of racing? Or just enough to make sure one is always charged for the next round? Also what if I raced\practiced 2+ a week. Would any of this be increasing the wear/degrading performance, beyond the normal number of cycles they are good for? This is assuming higher end packs, and a reasonable desire for the best possible performance out of them.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread, just seemed like the best place to ask.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default no biggie

Originally Posted by jrspruitt
I've been considering racing again, did it back in the late 80's early 90's. Been doing some research, as things have drastically changed, obviously. One thing I can't seem to answer, is how many battery packs should you have for electric 1/10 on or offroad? It used to be one per run per day, to keep them in good shape, but with LiPo packs I'm not sure, can they be run multiple times a day? Should I plan on one per round of racing? Or just enough to make sure one is always charged for the next round? Also what if I raced\practiced 2+ a week. Would any of this be increasing the wear/degrading performance, beyond the normal number of cycles they are good for? This is assuming higher end packs, and a reasonable desire for the best possible performance out of them.
Sorry if I hijacked the thread, just seemed like the best place to ask.
ya 2 lipos should b fine 2 reedy 5000 1/10 offroad pleanty 4 racing!
HAVE FUN
Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you, that's good to hear.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default nothin but fun

Originally Posted by jrspruitt
Thank you, that's good to hear.
enjoy the HOBBY hope u meet some cool racers
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

That's the plan , hard not to have fun doing it. Plus you get to meet some good people, travel a bit. I remember going to the races, was almost just as fun as actually racing.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Check this out:

Timezone I and II
Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

You can find the 'rules' for the GT enduro on this thread.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JeffHolt
You can find the 'rules' for the GT enduro on this thread.
Thanks for the link. Looks like it's going to be a blast. Can somebody who's never done any organized racing be on a team? I'd hate to be a handicap to anybody, but would be interested in at least coming out to watch if not joining in. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

I woundn't worry about that too much. There are plenty that are a handicap to the team, and they have years of toy (and real) racing experience....

I think we are going to try and get together the weekend before.
Put names in a hat, do a little practice and see what happens.

The statements about off road being more accessible around Portland is true. I used to race 1:1 scale sprint cars, worked on formula cars, etc. Breaks are not a bad idea. Helps keep an eye on the wallet, and your love life functional.

Just sayin'....

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.