Wiki Posts
Search

SARCAR - Revisited - Revived

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default SARCAR - Revisited - Revived

Hey 8th On Road racing fans. I have been having several conversations with drivers that really seem to be interested in getting 8th scale gas on road active again the greater Seattle area. Sarcar had been that club for 35 years. Looking back, it built itself up as so complex, that the membership struggled to assemble the track and conduct racing, eventually retiring in 2006.

Is the time right now to resurrect and restore fuel on road to the NW? Before you chime in, several conditions have to be considered:
No track material currently exists.
No scoring system exists.
No club or leadership exists.
No location exists.
Basically there is nothing but desire.

Is there really that much desire to overcome everything and to restart the Sarcar Club?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think Brian had a voice come to him at night and say, "You need more nitro in your liiiiiiiiiiiiIIIiiiIIiiifffeeee."
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Could this be done under the umbrella of SRCR? A sub committee would probably have to be put together but a scoring system does exist and might be used during the summer months. Might have to see how this could interfere with the permanent track in Seatac.

Not speaking on an official capacity for the club but it could be something that is bounced off of Todd and the others.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

At the risk of being called names again, I will offer up my opinion.

With the possiblity of a new electric only track in Seatac, that SRCR is pushing hard to get, would it not make more sense to convert those noisy little rocket ships to electric power, find a suitable lot, maybe one of the closed car dealers on first ave in burien, and have it with the SRCR gear. this should also maybe be done to get exposure for the 1/10 scale cars, I would be very interested in electric 1/8 scale, NITRO not so much. and with all the woopla over the converted 1/8 buggies to on road, this might just take off.

however you gotta ask, can the area support yet another track??
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
At the risk of being called names again, I will offer up my opinion.

With the possiblity of a new electric only track in Seatac, that SRCR is pushing hard to get, would it not make more sense to convert those noisy little rocket ships to electric power, find a suitable lot, maybe one of the closed car dealers on first ave in burien, and have it with the SRCR gear. this should also maybe be done to get exposure for the 1/10 scale cars, I would be very interested in electric 1/8 scale, NITRO not so much. and with all the woopla over the converted 1/8 buggies to on road, this might just take off.

however you gotta ask, can the area support yet another track??
You <<INSERT NAME HERE>>

With that thought I wonder if it's possible to run 1/8th electric at the Seatac track. Just thinking out loud.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hum.... 1/8th scale onroad around here.... Or even a larger track to run 10th scale nitro.......
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

It's interesting that at roughly 6 hours ago this got posted and it's drawn 115 hits. So someone is interested. The guys that I have spoken to are interested in racing fuel. That in the end, maybe the achilles heal. E8th could be a possibility at SRCR at some point, but all car are conversions and not kitted. Until kitted cars become readily available, it seems like an interesting novelty. The Slapmaster wheels are turning.....

E8th could very well take off too. There's nothing more disappointing then getting your new pipe stuffed. Or looking for a pit guy that turns needles by the wrist full then squeaking a brand new Nova by accident.

Part of Sarcar's demise was the lack of club members to sustain the program's bare essentials. What really was needed was a minimum of 30 drivers in three different classes. That would provide 10 drivers, 10 marshals, and 10 pit guys at any one time. Once that attendance dips below that even spacing, then there are guys doubled up, back to back, hustle here, hustle there, the enjoyment of the experience quickly fades.

It's possible that an all fuel club will never be able to restart without the assistance of some electric counterparts. I have my doubts, but without asking, who knows... there very well could be 50 guys sitting around wishing that they could go gas racing again.

For the few that have driven 8th, to re-experience that rush you get from driving one is just hard to forget. You would almost go to any lengths to do it just one more time. And then again, and again!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have been watching from afar this morning on this thread. I think it would be great to have support for 1/8th and 1/10th scale Nitro in the Seattle area. It is a shame that there is not now. Between Victoria, BC, Seattle, TZ and Rose City, and Spokane we could have one hell of a summer series.

I have never raced at Fantasy World but plan on running the Sizzler this year. The first thought I had was why not try to persuade them to support 1/8th and make larger tracks?

I love electric but having gotten a taste of nitro this season. It is absolutely incredible. Hopefully you can get something going for next year.

Troy
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

What are the track barrier requirements for a temporary track? I helped drag all the old boards out of the back of the SARCAR trailer down at SIR and I can understand why no one wanted to help with setup or teardown.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Just south of the old Georgetown Brewery, across the street from Jules Maes Saloon is a HUGE, unsealed, new, champagne smooth asphalt lot. HUGE. On Saturdays they have the Georgetown farmer's market. Nothing on Sundays. The lot is owned by Sabey Corporation. Did I mention it's HUGE...and really really nice??? And there are good restaurants across the street with lots and lots of beer.

PS...I'm more interested in electric, but whatever...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Count me in

When I was young (1983ish) I used to go to the 1/8 scale onroad races at the old Sears parking lot. I used to help out in the pits and also help refuel the cars. I believe the car that won a lot was an associate 500. I would love to have a reason to buy an 1/8 scale car. Please let me know if this becomes a reality.

Where is this new Seatac track going to be located, in door or out door?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Very interesting..............................but I think Brian must have suffered a blow to the head!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does my RS4 Super Nitro that's been collecting dust count as 1/8 scale?

-Mike
Old 07-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

It's funny, I've taken a phone call or two today just from this post alone. There are those that know if this thing is going to take off, that I am going to be running it. They know the amount of work that goes into it. It's a passion that will overcome the physical work load for start up. But being down that path, there is simply no way I would try to restart Sarcar with the old equipment. It was too over built, far too complicated for what needs to take place today. Fresh concepts and some compromises would have to be accepted to rebuild fuel on road racing in the greater Seattle area.

Seattle, Portland and Spokane always had great rivalries. Spokane just does not seem to have the nitro on road support to sustain racing at this time, even with the guidance of a pro at the helm. Seattle over built and crushed itself with the equipment plus it failed to support the start up classes. Portland now has the crucial support of the dedicated few that nurture the sport, therefore it flourishes.

I just went to a race on Vancouver Island that their club sets up on a park n ride on Sunday every weekend all summer long. Their equipment is simple, car friendly, amazing traction, well organized and a true sense of club cooperation. They average 40+ racers every day. This 2 day race had 107 entries. This is on an Island with a population similar to Bellevue.

There are now several places that welcome a variety of electric classes: EGTC in Edmonds, Fasttrax in Monroe, Fantasy World in Tacoma, Four Seasons in Olympia.... the list goes on. The Seatac track is slated for electric only due to the neighborhood proximity. With a few major hurdles to clear, that facility should prove to be quite nice. Still, there is no nitro facility even being discussed. Only a small attendance at FW of gas touring is all that I am aware of.

Bottom line, can a gas track take shape if there are those willing to put forth the effort? Popular classes would be 8th scale, gas touring, and the guys that are doing 8th GT or buggies with street tires and full bodies. The track would be big enough to accommodate mod electric touring and mod pro 10 classes. This track would need a spray traction such as vht or sprayed sauce.

Anyway, I don't to sit behind the keyboard rattling pom-poms getting people worked into a lather. But if there is real interest here, let's do something about it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

To get the right mix you would probably have to promote 3 classes, 8th scale nitro, 10th scale nitro and pro ten electric, (235 and 200mm 2s mod) a fourth class possibility could be a spec 2s 13.5 pro ten class for the entry level racer.
I would love to participate in a fuel 8th scale program, in the Seattle area. There is a need for a nitro track up our way and if it happens it can only but strengthen the TZ and RSCR nitro classes. Let's make it happen. Brian, maybe you could setup a meeting to identify and discuss what is needed, and who would be willing to do the things necessary to make this a reality for next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.