Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NWIC 2010/11

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ellis
The classes sound ok to me too. One change i would like to see is 12th 1s 13.5 and a spec tire. The spec wgt class was more fun for me as it had a level playing field . I don't want to have a huge box of tires for 12th anymore. 12th with no speedo limits and spec tires would have a better draw for guys like me that can't handle mod so well.
ME
I agree with the spec tire for 1/12th. Will help a lot with the pocketbook.

How about the top guys four or five guys from last year could come to a concensus on which tire? Ellis, Bodine, etc.

Maybe a different spec tire for different tracks?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
We are looking at 10.5 no timing. That might be more on track of the old 4cell 13.5 no boost.
10.5 1s and no timing is about the same speed as 13.5 1s with boost, IMO. Last time I ran my WGT I put a 10.5 in and was back running about the same lap times as Bodine at H30. It was WAY more fun to drive.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok just looked up some KV's (RPM's per volt)... Novak had the easiest numbers to find so I based all this off of there Ballistic numbers.

13.5 with 4 cell Nimh = 19,140 RPMs

13.5 single cell = 13,860 RPM's

10.5 single cell = 17,640 RPM's

As you can see the numbers show 13.5 single cell being much lower then 4 cell Nimh. The 10.5s numbers are much closer.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default WGT

The only reason I listed it as 13.5 no timing is that is what is being run at IIC. I think it takes the class back to a more beginner/intermediate class.

Mod WGT is where all the fastest guys will be (Ehrlich, Bodine, Wells, etc. etc.) Andy and I ran 5.5 WGT last year with no timing on a Tekin at Timezone. We played with it a couple of weeks. It was absolutely amazing and fun. With the high bit carpet and a 1s that tames the punch a bit it was very fast but very controllable. Also it would take away the speedo war.

I know its a little scary to start cutting up classes but this was one of the biggest classes last year. At TZ in November there were 32 entries.

Troy
Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

From what I have seen in past series races, 7 classes is tops or in many cases too much for the program. 6 would be perfect. It would be great if there were 3 TC classes and 3 pan classes. I'm not seeing the support of 13.5 TC much any more. Sedan is getting either the short end or just condensed. Condensed is not a bad thing. Thicker fields are usually more fun anyways. While I see teching taking place at these events, who really wants to sit there and verify "no timing" profiles unless it's just a simple zing of the trigger as we pass through... if it blows the tires off, it's not running! With that said, I would suggest TC gets open speedo 17.5 & mod on a new spec rubber tires. Jaco blues are out. WGT was a deep field last year. It could sustain a spec & mod class. Since 13.5 still seems to be the norm for wgt, it could be left in place although it would not be a big lap difference to going mod. 17.5 wgt open speedo would be a yawner for me, but some may find it "doable". Mod wgt with open tire maybe necessary to get it to work at some tracks. As much as I would like to run mod 12th, I still do not view 12th healthy enough to split the class. That same reason just very well maybe that 13.5 is too fast for some and don't wish to put forth the effort run to the front. Mod 12th would be a shallow pool to swim in. It would be difficult to run at RC+. Impossible at H30 with current traction conditions. Tri-cities and TZ2 should be fine for mod 12th. On the flip side, we've been doing 19t-13.5 for several seasons now, maybe it's time to try again. Spec 12th tires have come up many times. I stand by me comment that if you pick a spec tire, you will also have to pick a matching chassis. Or, you will have a spec tire best suited for a particular chassis. Asc and CRC like different tires, so which ever tire gets selected will also hand the victory to that chassis. Spec tires for 12th are not commercially available and visually identifiable. If a spec tire is needed to be selected for a 17.5 class, a yellow/black combo is the most consistent between manufacturers and would work well enough at all tracks (but cringe as I write that - they wear fast!). So with all this ramble, here's my suggested line up:

TC spec rubber, 17.5 no speedo limit
TC spec rubber, open
WGT spec tire, 13.5 no speedo limit
WGT open

Then either:
12th 17.5 no speedo limit
12th open

..... or....

12th 13.5 no speedo limit
then room for "host class"

Brian
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am new to onroad and have not raced with you guys as of yet. I come from off road but the end of last year I wanted to have some onroad fun. I bought a WGT 1S 13.5 and had a chance to run it a few times at TZII for practice. To me the car felt slow and didn't have enough punch for me to feel happy overall with it. I did drive Rodger's WGT with 203 and it felt ok but had that same feeling to me. If I run it at all next year either for practice or racing I would prefer a mod class. Since I am a newbie I thought I would post my thoughts as it pertains to WGT.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Darren and I have been talking and life should be good for the nwic in the future ;-)
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Poweredbysbc
Darren and I have been talking and life should be good for the nwic in the future ;-)
Great!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

As I think about this even more, I completely forgot about a "no timing amateur" 17.5TC class. I like this idea so long as the teching is fair. And if that fair teching is in place, then it would alter my suggested class ideas.

17.5 TC amateur, spec tire, no timing
17.5 TC open, spec tire
Mod TC, spec tire

10.5 wgt as a single class would make more sense then split classes as it would provide a touch more speed and work at all tracks. If 10.5 was selected, there would be no need for wgt mod class or open tires or adding a set of tripples A's to main day.

As for 12th spec tires.... using Jack.... if you are an Asc owner, you are probably going to use magenta/magenta or magenta/pink. CRC guys are going to magenta/yellow or black/yellow. So I am having a difficult time feeling sorry for the pocket book concerns. If tires are $10 a set and you only need to choose either one or the other combo, I can't see where huge amounts of cash are being tossed around. Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't show up with these combos. Yes, you could use greylow or orange, but that is such a fine line of conditions that you can easily set up around that. I can't come up with a tire combo that all chassis' would work on equally and be identifiable for tech. What are you guys proposing?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I thought nwic already had a pretty good rd? aren’t you an off-road guy?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
From what I have seen in past series races, 7 classes is tops or in many cases too much for the program. 6 would be perfect. It would be great if there were 3 TC classes and 3 pan classes. I'm not seeing the support of 13.5 TC much any more. Sedan is getting either the short end or just condensed. Condensed is not a bad thing. Thicker fields are usually more fun anyways. While I see teching taking place at these events, who really wants to sit there and verify "no timing" profiles unless it's just a simple zing of the trigger as we pass through... if it blows the tires off, it's not running! With that said, I would suggest TC gets open speedo 17.5 & mod on a new spec rubber tires. Jaco blues are out. WGT was a deep field last year. It could sustain a spec & mod class. Since 13.5 still seems to be the norm for wgt, it could be left in place although it would not be a big lap difference to going mod. 17.5 wgt open speedo would be a yawner for me, but some may find it "doable". Mod wgt with open tire maybe necessary to get it to work at some tracks. As much as I would like to run mod 12th, I still do not view 12th healthy enough to split the class. That same reason just very well maybe that 13.5 is too fast for some and don't wish to put forth the effort run to the front. Mod 12th would be a shallow pool to swim in. It would be difficult to run at RC+. Impossible at H30 with current traction conditions. Tri-cities and TZ2 should be fine for mod 12th. On the flip side, we've been doing 19t-13.5 for several seasons now, maybe it's time to try again. Spec 12th tires have come up many times. I stand by me comment that if you pick a spec tire, you will also have to pick a matching chassis. Or, you will have a spec tire best suited for a particular chassis. Asc and CRC like different tires, so which ever tire gets selected will also hand the victory to that chassis. Spec tires for 12th are not commercially available and visually identifiable. If a spec tire is needed to be selected for a 17.5 class, a yellow/black combo is the most consistent between manufacturers and would work well enough at all tracks (but cringe as I write that - they wear fast!). So with all this ramble, here's my suggested line up:

TC spec rubber, 17.5 no speedo limit
TC spec rubber, open
WGT spec tire, 13.5 no speedo limit
WGT open

Then either:
12th 17.5 no speedo limit
12th open

..... or....

12th 13.5 no speedo limit
then room for "host class"

Brian
Brian, I'm in total agreement with you on the six class format.
The one point I differ with you is the spec tire issue. I know Mark and I would like to run 12th scale if there was a spec tire. I agree that the spec tire will give one chassis an advantage over another, but the main objective is to get more folks racing 12th scale, which a spec tire would do. The more serious racer will get the optimized chassis anyway and the rest of us will make do with what we have. My 12th scale is just gathering dust and I would like to run it as a second class along with my WGT this season, makes for double fun. I vote for 12th scale spec tire 17.5 open esc and WGT 10.5 open esc and spec tire.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Are you coming to play with us Brian ??

Jacko
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

One Day = 3 pages !!

Hmmmmmmmmm, I smell OUTLAW !!

17.5 soft class Sedan
Outlaw Sedan
Outlaw 1/12th
Outlaw WGT
Soft WGT

What more to you need other than SWEEP 32s for spec tyre without doubt !!

Jacko
Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtveten
Brian, I'm in total agreement with you on the six class format.
The one point I differ with you is the spec tire issue. I know Mark and I would like to run 12th scale if there was a spec tire. I agree that the spec tire will give one chassis an advantage over another, but the main objective is to get more folks racing 12th scale, which a spec tire would do. The more serious racer will get the optimized chassis anyway and the rest of us will make do with what we have. My 12th scale is just gathering dust and I would like to run it as a second class along with my WGT this season, makes for double fun. I vote for 12th scale spec tire 17.5 open esc and WGT 10.5 open esc and spec tire.
I too think that 6 classes is good and we should attempt to stay right around that figure. As to your point John, I do not agree (respectfully) with you and Mike Ellis (Mike's been a friend for a long time) but Brian and I see the same thing. 1/12ths are small, quick and nimble and sometimes very fast. We ALL drive different and they just do not need to be made worse by a spec tire. For instance, at the Hangar 30 round of the NWIC, I ran a Tbar Serpent S120 with Double Pink rears and Lilac fronts. That's not what most people like but my car handled well despite my radio not working properly and having a diff issue that both Brian and I never figured out.

WGT works well with Spec tires because its larger, Heavier and has Huge grip from big tires. It also has the same motor and battery size as the 1/12th scale car.

I absolutely feel with the amount of new drivers driving 1/12th (which is awesome) we would actually make it worse on them. Brian Bodine (and others) will always give anyone who asks exactly what his setup is, Mike Dutemple too, as will President Todd, and Mike Ellis as well. You don't need every tire in your pit box, and right now tires are priced at a fair price.

Steve
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
As I think about this even more, I completely forgot about a "no timing amateur" 17.5TC class. I like this idea so long as the teching is fair. And if that fair teching is in place, then it would alter my suggested class ideas.

17.5 TC amateur, spec tire, no timing
17.5 TC open, spec tire
Mod TC, spec tire

10.5 wgt as a single class would make more sense then split classes as it would provide a touch more speed and work at all tracks. If 10.5 was selected, there would be no need for wgt mod class or open tires or adding a set of tripples A's to main day.

As for 12th spec tires.... using Jack.... if you are an Asc owner, you are probably going to use magenta/magenta or magenta/pink. CRC guys are going to magenta/yellow or black/yellow. So I am having a difficult time feeling sorry for the pocket book concerns. If tires are $10 a set and you only need to choose either one or the other combo, I can't see where huge amounts of cash are being tossed around. Personally, I don't see why you wouldn't show up with these combos. Yes, you could use greylow or orange, but that is such a fine line of conditions that you can easily set up around that. I can't come up with a tire combo that all chassis' would work on equally and be identifiable for tech. What are you guys proposing?
I think the rubber classes are pretty good. I think the Mod Sedan class is almost an optional class. It was only ran at 3 out of 5 events and only had a handful of drivers. I am just saying if you are to narrow to 6 classes this class has the least following. I know that would make a handful of the most talented drivers in the NW mad but it is a fact.

As far as World GT I think we will learn more once IIC is ran. I think if I had to guess no one would run 13.5 no timing at a club level. So why include it in NWIC. I think come fall most clubs would be running one class of WGT and that will probably be 13.5 open ESC. I am a huge fan of adding a second Mod World GT class. I think the following is big enough to justify it.

Troy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.