Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
2010 NORA Dirt Oval Series @ Burlington :: "Friday Nights Under the Lights" >

2010 NORA Dirt Oval Series @ Burlington :: "Friday Nights Under the Lights"

2010 NORA Dirt Oval Series @ Burlington :: "Friday Nights Under the Lights"

Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up 2010 NORA Dirt Oval Series @ Burlington :: "Friday Nights Under the Lights"

Time again to get some left turn action in up at the dirt oval! Hope to see some familiar but new faces up there this year. Last year we had some great close battles, I hope this year is no different!

If you have not been to Skagit Raceway/Burlington/NORA's track facility it is worth the drive; very nice park setting, friendly people, and a great place to race UNDER THE LIGHTS!

Questions and more info hit up http://www.norarcoval.com

Race Directory will be Les O'Dell this year.

Flyers:

Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mr Briscoe, Thanks for starting this thread and good luck on the dirt oval this year, you did a flat out amazing job in Transmission last year and I expect no less from you again. I wanna take this chance to talk about some changes that will be taking place for our dirt oval this season.. by the way, our opener is Friday April 30th which is gonna be here in a blink. First of all, I want to work on the flow of the evening, I wanna get the most racing in possible throughout the night and get everybody home at a decent hour. Here are some ways I plan to do so....

1.On time starts, Signups will officially close at 6:40pm, IF you miss the 6:40pm cutoff, you'll miss your first heat and I will add you after the first round during the sweeping of the track. If you are running late and think you can get there in time for your first heat, but not in time to make the 6:40pm signup cuttoffs, call me early and I will gladly sign you up, if I don't answer leave a message, if I am really busy, I may ask you to call right back and I wont answer so you can leave your info on my voicemail. If you have not run that particular car in that series, please know your transponder. The database will be deleteded at the begining of dirt season and we'll start clean. When the heats are posted, by 6:45pm or sooner, please take a look and make sure you are where you need to be, I'm human, I make mistakes, the best time to fix it before the first race. Please mention it at the drivers meeting if you need to be moved to a different class or race. My number is 425-737-7324 USE iT. Call any time you need to even if its during the night to tell me you cant make the main. It may be a second till i can talk if I am mid sentence in announcing.

2. Our new 3,000 watt sound system. Nobody should have a problem hearing what race is next or when signups are closing. I tend to talk a little to loud anyway, putting a microphone in my hand with that many watts could be a big mistake.

3. Fm Broadcasting, we have the capability to broadcast the races over FM radio, so if your not up for awhile and want to relax in your car, or warm up on those cold nights, you can listen to the races and know when your gonna be up. I haven't used our broadcaster, I need to talk with monty and find out how well it worked out when he used it.

4. And finally, the biggest help of all.... our High intensity L.E.D. Scoreboard designed and built by Mr Patrick Plueard. At any time, you will be able to look up at the announcers booth and see how many minutes are left in the race. What cars are running in the top 3 positions, what race number is currently on the track, and you can also see how long you have left in your two minutes to get out there. This should prove to be extremely valueable to everyone, especially gas racers, if I forget to tell you how long is left in the race, or someone has distracted you, you can look up and know exactly when the perfect time is to start warming up your gas rig.

5. Announcer location, I'll be up on the drivers stand in the off road announcing booth this year, so if you have to use a different transponder, feel free to come let me know so we can get it handled. I'll have a good view of the track.

6. Not running gas classes back to back, or 1/18th races back to back, most slider racers tend to race both, i think we can gain some speed through the night by tweaking the race order a bit.

These are just some ideas I have, this is your club, your season and I'll need everyones help to make it run smoothly. If you see a rookie racer struggling to find a transponder or needing advice, be a good club member and help them out, what goes around comes around.

I wanna give a shoutout to my track committee, Virgil, Steve R, Patrick S., Larry E and Craig P. and Mark and Mike Burt. The Burts have refurbed our Ford tractor and have built us a fantastic roller that really does a great job rolling out the surface. We were not able to come up with any extra clay, but I ask people to be on the look out for some nice clean red clay and we can add it at any time. Till then we are doing the best with what is there. If I forgot to mention you, sorry, I'm getting old.

One thing I want to see reduced this year is any arguments on the stand. If your having trouble with a racer, do your best, run your race and if you guys wan to go down and argue among the two of you thats fine, but there is nothing worse than being between 2 people that are mad at each other. I know I'm as guilty of breaking this rule as anyone, but its something I think we need to work on. As far as on track conflicts, if I see someone dumping the same racer consistantly I will talk to that person. If I see deliberate retaliation I will consider that just as bad of offense and may end up parking both parties involved. Keep in mind I'll be announcing right next to you and will be able to hear any of this that goes on.

Please don't yell at corner marshalls, they did not put your car in the position it is unless they aren't coiming out to martial, then they are fair game. If you are cornering, please watch the race, the people you are martialing for want to win just as badly as you did the race before.

If you have crashed in and are stuck on the middle of the track, please let the other drivers on the stand know. This might just save you both some money, sometimes us racers tend to not watch as far ahead on the track as we shoud.

And above all, HAVE FUN!!!!!

If you have ideas of how to make this program better come to me and let me know, I will listen.

Thanks to everyone that puts they're time and effort into making this club everything that it is. Lets have a successful season and some good side by side racing.

Thanks,

Lester O'Dell
www.LesODell.com
18 Time Oval Series Champ
2010 N.O.R.A. Dirt Oval Director
Sponsored by...
Tanager Pacific
RC4Less
Team Power Push
Web Designer of www.NORARCOVAL.com &
www.SkagitRiverRaceway.com
Track Announcer for N.O.R.A's Carpet Oval, Road Course &
Skagit River Raceway's Dirt Oval

Last edited by Lester24; 04-29-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Suspended

our High intensity L.E.D. Scoreboard designed and built by Mr Patrick Plueard
Hopefully this means Patrick will be joining us for some dirt oval as well??

Hey talking to Lou he mentioned we'd be able to run the Losi Slider in the Electric Sprint Class, as long as it fit in the size box; so the stock Slider wing is ok to run in electric sprint? This may open the class up a bit for some people, I for one will be running it.

Looks like Side Dams are back as well, that should make some people happy. I've never tried one myself, looking forward to it. Seems a bit like training wheels to me, but I'll run whatever.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Wes, not sure if patrick is going to race, sounds like we are borrowing the scoreboard for now and he'll build another, and we'll either get to keep the one we got or get the new one. The side dams have been a part of our clubs racing for a long time. Yes they do make setup a bit more forgiving, but they also allow speeds to go up and stability in the turns meaning people can mix it up even better. Before lipo batteries or timing advance ESC's Mike houser went 58 laps in 4wd Electric late Model. One piece of advice I give to anyone that intends to put a side dam on is......., 1. go the max height allowed, 2. Make sure its fastened well to the body and braced well even if you have to put a fender brace inside the LR wheel well. 3. Mount your body solid, If you move that side dam back and forth and the chassis doesn't move with it, your wasting your time.
I want to thank the 15 people orso that showed up at the work party today, we got a TON of rocks out of the surface. we do have some tractor tred marks in the track after we rolled it, but that is partially due to the fact that we have 2 barrells on our roller and one has fluid and one does not, so the side with the fluid gets rolled a little better. The inside borders have been made much more solid by adding a bunch of metal tubes every 1.5 feet orso. The track will be smooth and the borders will be solid.

Oops, almost forgot to answer your 1/10th slider question, if you bump up to pro, any of the hop ups are fair game as long as the car makes weight. Craig Peterson was in charge of doing the comparison on the wing. Basically, they are close to the same size, but the side dams on the Losi wing should be trimmed a bit to match the sprint class rules. I really think the wing advantage will still go to the custom works due to the fact that it is mounted so much better. Once again like I mentioned above, if a person could find a way to make that Slider wing stay in place a little better, that would probably be good. From what I've heard, they say don't even try putting a brushless in the slider 1/10th without the metal idler gear as the plastic one gets ripped up when the car launches.

Hope to see a big car count at our opener.

Lester O'Dell
www.LesODell.com
Sponsored by...
Tanager Pacific
RC4Less
Team Power Push

Last edited by Lester24; 04-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

we are racing this Friday night 7pm prac. at 5pm if it don't rain
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Suspended

Gonna run Late Model with the big dogs, Larry?

Hope it doesn't rain, going to spend tomorrow putting side dams on.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Lester O'Dell
www.LesODell.com
Sponsored by...
Tanager Pacific
RC4Less
Team Power Push
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Awesome track you guys have!! Can't wait to move back here from CO. Ski, thanks for letting me run your slider. Here's some pics I took tonight

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by mr4tcsdrifter; 05-08-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

You guys have an awsome looking facility up there!!!

I do have a couple quick questions for the 1/10 scale 4wd guys, what tires and compounds are you guys using up there and how well do they hook up?? We are starting up our own 4wd mod using old sedan chassis, but havent figured out what tires to start off with. So far we got Jaco blues to work best down here.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

That sounds great. Love to come down and race another Oval. As for tires we tend to run the softest that we can find. On my TC3 I use RC 4 less silvers and My Grandson's Losi XXXs we use either TM Whites or Greens.
We also run the Late Model Style bodies with a 4 1/2" side dam from the front window post to the rear spoiler.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

awesome pics, thanks for posting those........

as far as the track last night. i really hope you guys dont do anything to it. leave it alone please. it was awesome last night and will only get better in the next couple weeks. for the first race of the season to have the lap times the same or better than last years track records says alot. give this track a few weeks and get some more rubber down and we will be flying...........all this talk of maybe tilling and adding more clay will just be a set back, i say we leave it alone and see where it goes............

awesome job Les, even with the computer issue before the mains we were still done by 12. congrats Wes on kicking my butt in sprint and transmission, but not by much. the transmission main last night was awesome. top 4 all on the same lap seperated by about 2 seconds after 5 minutes. this is going to be a very competitive season..........
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolfman
I do have a couple quick questions for the 1/10 scale 4wd guys, what tires and compounds are you guys using up there and how well do they hook up?? We are starting up our own 4wd mod using old sedan chassis, but havent figured out what tires to start off with. So far we got Jaco blues to work best down here.
I run TMI Sedan foams, white compound. We run foam tires here, not rubber. But Jaco blues are an interesting idea, I may try that when I bring my 4WD out next race.

congrats Wes on kicking my butt in sprint and transmission, but not by much.
*cough* without a side dam *cough*

Mod Sprint is so much fun I may have to retire the LM and run Sprint and 4WD on mod night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.