Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
What makes a good offroad track (in-door) >

What makes a good offroad track (in-door)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What makes a good offroad track (in-door)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Legend

O-man ! drivers stand already to go !

Sure hope you can make it happen ...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Double Dee

Originally Posted by 23elim
Here are a few shots of the indside
Please keep us up to date on how this coming. I live 15 min from the building.

You can count some volunteer hours helping from my self. just send me a Personal message. I only work half the week.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

I read through this whole thing and was amazed that no other rednecks mentioned beer or strippers.

My thought is the track would be 50 ft wide and 60-70 ft long
PRCR is 60' long by 42' deep, at that length anything larger than a 1/10 scale is useless, be sure you know your customer base. The largest group of racers or people practicing currently is Short Course, with your building and track size this will be fine. Pit area could be a concern, we had 74 entries at PRCR last Saturday and it was crowded, I would estimate their pit table length to be 150' of table, I wouldn't suggest any less than that.

wouldn't worry about setting up a hobby shop...
I don't know if I would follow this advice, I've talked to a few track/shop owners and they all have said if it wasn't for the shop, the track wouldn't support the area it requires.

Oh, $$$$$MONEY$$$$$, someone mentioned 6 months of operating capital, good advice, and opening at the end of summer was good as well, indoor tracks struggle in the summer.

Sounds like you found a gem of a building at decent cost and location, best of luck and hope to check it out some day.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TQRC2
I read through this whole thing and was amazed that no other rednecks mentioned beer or strippers.

PRCR is 60' long by 42' deep, at that length anything larger than a 1/10 scale is useless, be sure you know your customer base. The largest group of racers or people practicing currently is Short Course, with your building and track size this will be fine. Pit area could be a concern, we had 74 entries at PRCR last Saturday and it was crowded, I would estimate their pit table length to be 150' of table, I wouldn't suggest any less than that.

I don't know if I would follow this advice, I've talked to a few track/shop owners and they all have said if it wasn't for the shop, the track wouldn't support the area it requires.

Oh, $$$$$MONEY$$$$$, someone mentioned 6 months of operating capital, good advice, and opening at the end of summer was good as well, indoor tracks struggle in the summer.

Sounds like you found a gem of a building at decent cost and location, best of luck and hope to check it out some day.
fighting with trcr for customers would definitely not be a good idea , it is very very close
Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dragonracing
i second that motion. we need a track somewhere inbetween mikes (bellingham) and trcr (tacoma). for alot of us its a 60+ mile drive to go race. sure for the peninsula its a good thing. and yes do your research. scotts (trcr) is a well setup facility. so is mikes in bellingham. us seattle area guys kind got hosed when peelit closed.
I have been looking into this for the last few months and working on a business plan, talking to AE, TRaxxas & Horizon and trying to get involved with the community more. Looking into the Sodo area it's fairly easy to get to from the West Seattle bridge and easy access from both north and south. There is quite a few places to lease that are large enough but the prices are pretty outrageous. You need about 10-12,000 sqft to have enough room for tables and the track and you are looking at about $7500.00/10g a month (if not more) for that much space. Not to mention in order for the track to actually work you need a shop to go along with it. You would need 30 people a day, 7 days a week for 1 month @ 8 buck a head to make that lease payment. Not to mention power, insurance and stocking the hobby shop. It cost some serious coin and I can see why Seattle doesn't have a local track because of this reason. Will it happen? I hope so... I just hate to take any business away from Scott, he is one of the most helpful people I have met in the hobby.

I have talked to quite a few people at TRCR and their #1 thing was HEAT lol, yea it's winter and it does get kinda cold in there. Another thing was have a season type pass (like they do at the ski areas) pay a 6 month fee and you can race as much as you want. Another thing was VIP tables (yea I know) since it gets so packed. Lockers was another thing and I have even juggled the idea of having a espresso cart & bikini girls for turn marshals he he. Having TV's mounted up would also be nice, watching a game while packs charge and having a place for the kids to go, maybe a game room. In a perfect world all this would be nice but really all you need is some dirt, a roof over the heads and parts for the drivers. TRCR is trashed on, but it doesn't keep anyone away, even when the roof leaked and there was a threat of it collapsing it was always packed on Friday nights, no one cared.

Anyways, hope this helps and the guys from the Seattle area keep your fingers crossed if I can make it happen I will.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Legend

Trcr lost its heater to the roof collapse, heat has never been a issue other wise ..

The original Trcr had locker's ...
But just after the first weeks open the store was broken into and all the lockers were emptied of their gear by the thieves...
Locker's will just become a liability on your part.

Just a warning for you to consider....
Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default dual purpose

How about something like this
Attached Thumbnails What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-_jn11381.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

must be fun keeping the dust off that asphalt. wheres that at?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default True

Originally Posted by dragonracing
must be fun keeping the dust off that asphalt. wheres that at?
http://www.westcoastrcraceway.com/Tracks.aspx
Old 12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thats a sweet track. nice setup.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Poweredbysbc
it also didn't help that the owner went to JAIL!!!!
lucky for some of us, not all thiefs get put away
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 328 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 23elim
Here are a few shots of the indside
that place is perfect what your trying to do..

just have the money to back up a few months rent to build your customer base. also you will have to consider a schedule that does not conflict with t.r.c.r I bet saturday electric racing might have some great turn outs

good luck with this, i think this could be a great facility with the clean up and time put into it..
Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default New Track

Good luck with track. I wish it was closer to me.

I've been keeping an eye on this building, heard it could be empty soon.

Plenty of space and 1 min from where I work.
Attached Thumbnails What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-450boeing29.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Trcr lost its heater to the roof collapse, heat has never been a issue other wise ..

The original Trcr had locker's ...
But just after the first weeks open the store was broken into and all the lockers were emptied of their gear by the thieves...
Locker's will just become a liability on your part.

Just a warning for you to consider....
I don't have a problem with the no heat honestly, if you are from this area you should know how to dress in the cold.

And having a shop in Sodo I would consider a few 160lb brindle rottweilers and keep them very hungry.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default Really Close

Here are a few more shots
I go to City of Bremerton on Monday with for a permit and if all goes well will sign the lease and get keys by Friday. The space is so big I can not get the whole track in the photo. We will have a hobby shop in the frint and the track in the back.
I don't want to pull from TRCR, I just want to add to the sport. I am in business already and we all get along. I really like Scott and me we all like going to TRCR. If it all works out it will just be another place to go.

Store front is 1200sq ft
Above store front is a lounge space the is 1200 sq ft for birthday or track rental party or just a place to hang when your not racing.
The carpet tubes make a 60x52 ft space. There is room for 190ft of bench space with 6 feet between tables.
We are going to rent Slash and SC10 trucks by the hour and rent the track for parties . I want to have a great race track and make it racer and family freindly.
Attached Thumbnails What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-bikes-151.jpg   What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-bikes-141.jpg   What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-bikes-144.jpg   What makes a good offroad track (in-door)-bikes-095.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.