Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Seattle proper "dead" ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Why is Seattle proper "dead" ?

I don't know alot of history of this area yet. But is there any particular reason why Seattle "proper" is dead for both shops and tracks?

Did it deal with the real estate boom (and now fall) from the online rise and fall in the 1990's?

I know by name only of a few shops on the far North end of Seattle. However, seemingly university district and below is waste land until you get into Tukwila.

I mean with all those malls downtown, you think there would be at least one of those overpriced mall types. But nothing. Then you have Capital Hill, with all it's strangeness (I like strange) and variety .. stilll nothing.

Or is this more a sign of the fall of the hobby with the economic slump, and rise of online gaming?
Old 01-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Seattle has never had many shops.....they have always been a bit north or a bit south. The real estate is very pricey in those areas....makes it kinda hard for a shop to stay operational.

Raincity is a whompin 15 minutes north of seattle.....doesn't take long to get there.

Later EddieO
Old 01-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the info, but where in the South? Closest I can find is the Hokeytown in Southcenter. Thats not even in Seattle.

And yes, Raincity is VERY far without vehicle. Have you tried riding Metro? Ugh!

[Edit Hokeytown=Hobbytown USA. Down where I came from we called the shop this since the owner and son who owned 90% of the branches in about a 100 mile range were so two faced. The son then having an affair with one of the drivers wives didn't help this any.]
Old 01-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

I meant historically. I know they race in renton during the summer, but not sure about any shops. Shops come and go, so do the tracks. The only mainstays since I started racing in 1988 has been TRCR in tacoma and Four Seasons in Olympia.

My advice, get a car....it will open up some racing doors for ya.

Later EddieO
Old 01-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Renton? Do you mean Atomic Hobbies over in Issaquah? I am trying to put together a compilation of tracks near Seattle to post. If you know of one in Renton Im missing, please let me know.

Unfortunately because of career, financial, and personal reasons a car wont be forthcoming soon. Actually tis odd, but I always found R/C alot more engaging than the real thing.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

No, they race gas, mainly larger scales some where on renton.....at least they used to. Never got into that, but I know thats where it was....

Later EddieO
Old 01-01-2004, 09:44 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Eddie o
SARCARS is the place that you're talking about, Yes they do run 8 th scale and 10th scale gas car and they're located in renton Boeing bussiness parking lot..Open season start in May.n Frankos ..... Hi Eddie ,I'm the friend of Mike Malkinson

Last edited by OVA; 01-02-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Legend

Dude >>>Take da Sounder to Tacoma>>>

Take da Bus to Trcr.....

or >>>>>get a buddy at track come pick you up at the station, its only 10 minutes from Trcr.....

No buddy`s ,,,, call me ........I go get yeah.....

now your racing ........ Tacoma style
Old 01-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the tip Wild.. Just checked the bus schedule to get from Beacon to at least Rain City.. 2 1/2 hours (on weekdays)! Ugh!

Anyhow dealing with SARCARS can give me a weblink and information of some sort (if private property, then the email of the individual to contact).

Again, I am trying to build up a list of tracks near Seattle to post to a webpage.

EDIT: Just discovered Skidmarks is a member of SARCARS.

Last edited by oXYnary; 01-04-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Renton. For all of you that don't remember the days. before TRCR, and when Fantasy world was the B&I's hooby shop and track in Tacoma. THe was a place in Renton called Hobby Hut. They had an off road track but I think it was closed in the late 80's. And now Sarcar races behind where Hobby Hut was.

What is it you are looking for??
There is a place to get some RC stuff, mostly Tamiya, but it is Burien Toyota. Kinda close to southcenter. Great RC racing program. Mod is open to any car, but other classes follow TCS rules. Also they can get anything you need within reason. Give em a call 1 (800) 654-6456 ask for Kevin, he is the most knowledgeable.

Originally posted by oXYnary
Renton? Do you mean Atomic Hobbies over in Issaquah? I am trying to put together a compilation of tracks near Seattle to post. If you know of one in Renton Im missing, please let me know.

Unfortunately because of career, financial, and personal reasons a car wont be forthcoming soon. Actually tis odd, but I always found R/C alot more engaging than the real thing.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Yea, I have their information thanks. Working on the g. design of a webpage I am making that will list all local tracks. Except any contacts for sarcar that never came fourth.

Personally, though spec classes can be fun. With past history in such Tamiya oriented ones. Since only Tamiya versions are allowed (versus like GPM). The hop-ups get expensive.. fast. (Besides I had my fill of 1/10th).
Old 02-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you look at Rains site, I think they still have a list of all the local tracks.

But here goes.

Everett indoor offroad ? I think there still there
Lynnwood indoor on road
Issaquah outdoor summertime electric, and gas
Burien outdoor onroad year-round
Renton outdoor onroad summertime gas
Tacoma indoor offroad electric, and gas

I know theres more, these are closest that I can think of right off.

Good luck
Kevin