Wiki Posts
Search

On Road Class Consolidation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default On Road Class Consolidation Thread

Figured I would start a new thread so as not to pollute other threads.

And from Maybell here is what started it all:

Congrats to all the winners at Timezone 2!

Its time to talk about major change in the way electric onroad is ran in the USA.

Onroad is in a HUGE decline in the US. The problem is probably a combo of reasons. The biggest problem in my opinion is TOO MANY CLASSES!

First of all, if touring cars are going to survive, we have to decide if we are going to run foam or rubber for carpet racing. NOT BOTH! The rest of the planet runs touring cars on rubber tires only and onroad is still thriving overseas.

Also, it is time to get rid of the "19 turn" class for starters to help with the too many classes problem. Its time to get back to Beginner, Stock and Modified.

Finally, When a Beginner class driver gets to a certain speed or amount of wins, it is up to the track owner to move that racer up to the stock class. Also, sponsored and national champion level drivers need to run modified! This is also up to the track owners to set this standard and police it.

This is just my opinion, but a opinion that comes from 22 years of watching this hobby/sport closely. If these things dont happen then electric onroad racing will die in the USA...

Maybell
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

keeping it simple would mean one sedan, one motor, divided by skill level.

you can NOT compare what is going on with off road with on road, take koreys example, 1/8 buggy, for that to be on road, sedans would all run a single size MOD motor, say 5.5T and everyone would have to learn to drive it. sportsman and expert. no room for F-1's, WGT's, 1/12, Trans Am or any other classes, Buggy and Truggy. sportsman and expert. so which one of our favorite classes do we drop.

the off road guys don't run what they want and the hell with the rules. when they build a car, they build it to fit the rules already in place.

and yea i know i was comparing nitro off road to electric on road but you get the point, and by (you) i don't mean just John.

This summer at FW they decided (although i guess its not final) to run just stock, mod, T/A, WGT and Nitro. I guess T/A should probably go away to grow the stock class? and maybe drop Nitro to grow the WGT or Mod class?

just my opinion and thoughts
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

So if Novice, Stock and Mod get changed to Beginner, Intermediate and Expert does this actually change anything? Does intermediate use stock motors and expert use mod? And who decides who fits into what category?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

nope, one motor for everyone, can be which ever size, just for a example i picked a 5.5t. so EVERYONE slaps in a 5.5t. YOUR lap times and number of laps will determine who runs what class, just like scott does at trcr when he bumps people out of novice, this also means, if you can't hang you don't get to run expert.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Offroad has:
Stock 2 wheel buggy
Super Stock 2 wheel buggy
Mod 2 wheel buggy

Stock truck
Super Stock truck
Mod truck

Super Stock 4 wheel
Mod 4 wheel

Slash

That's 9classes that still manage to draw over 100 entries at each of the ECT races, the two at TRCR in Tacoma drew over 150 entries.

Edit, forgot the Novice class, that would now make it TENclasses

The NWIC has 7 classes.

Hmm.

Last edited by C_O_jones; 02-16-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the Novice class
Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I DO agree that a decision between foam and rubber sedan needs to be made, but I CAN'T agree that 1/12th should be bumped. This would force me out of any onroad racing, as I don't have much interest in running sedan. Am I wrong in believing that 1/12th scale numbers are at a relatively high level right now? Of course there need not be more than one class, but I hope this would be something you guys would consider when prepping for this year.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by mkdut
So if Novice, Stock and Mod get changed to Beginner, Intermediate and Expert does this actually change anything? Does intermediate use stock motors and expert use mod? And who decides who fits into what category?

Hopefully they`ll take advantage of the slower motor`s for the intermediate & novice class and allow expert motor choices open to the racer....
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
nope, one motor for everyone, can be which ever size, just for a example i picked a 5.5t. so EVERYONE slaps in a 5.5t. YOUR lap times and number of laps will determine who runs what class, just like scott does at trcr when he bumps people out of novice, this also means, if you can't hang you don't get to run expert.
Seems like a plan to drive more people out of on road than anything. 5.5t intermediate good luck with that one. Kinda like having the high school drags and you can only run nitro funny cars.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

How about 4 sedan classes:

Novice - 17.5, Rubber
Intermediate - 13.5 Rubber
Advanced - 13.5 Foam
Expert - Mod Foam
Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Hopefully they`ll take advantage of the slower motor`s for the intermediate & novice class and allow expert motor choices open to the racer....
So if I am labeled an "expert" then I must run the open motor class which sounds fine and dandy. However, for me mod sedan(or expert sedan as you would call it) holds little interest for me. To me it is cost prohibitive to run. One maybe two run tires and the increased expense of additional broken cars and throwing in a slower motor just to run laps, no thanks. With this designation you would be driving me out of touring car.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Legend

So if I am labeled an "expert" then I must run the open motor class which sounds fine and dandy. However, for me mod sedan(or expert sedan as you would call it) holds little interest for me. To me it is cost prohibitive to run. One maybe two run tires and the increased expense of additional broken cars and throwing in a slower motor just to run laps, no thanks. With this designation you would be driving me out of touring car.

Only allowed to move up by experience and the race directors decision.

Not forced.

Hopefully anyone will be allowed to move down a level if they wish...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Ok we will not get rid of 1/12 in the nwic!

What we are thinking is

1/12 17.5 lipo 7.4? 13.5 3.7?
WGT 17.5 lipo 7.4
stk rubber sedan 17.5.
??? rubber sedan (maybe) most likely 13.5 or 10.5
foam sedan 10.5?

Guys this is all still up in the air and we are still in development. We realize there are to many classes and that the 1/12 battery thing is an issue still in the R&D stage. The decision may not be made soon as technology is still changing. We all hope to have a decision long before the series starts next year.

Remember we will try to stay as close to the rest of the world as we can and that races are now 6 min in most classes and 8 min in 1/12

The other thing that i think has reduced the turnout is triple a mains. Allot of people don't come to race if they can't make the a because they don't get to race as much as the a main guys. I think we need to go back to single mains with a bump up everyone pays the same and gets the same amount of racing!
Yes if you brake then your last so be it don't crash or take that chance. reward consistency. I even like average your best 3 out of 4 quals to set the mains.

Sean-Cherry- if I was forced to race in what you call expert class with the 5.5 motor i would no longer race because it is above my skill level. if i had to race expert with a 13.5 or 17.5 and we all used the same motor in novice sportsman and expert i would be fine with that.

Ron Smith
RCPlus Hobbies
1685 25th ST. SE
Salem Oregon 97302
503-364-9188
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Only allowed to move up by experience and the race directors decision.

Not forced.

Hopefully anyone will be allowed to move down a level if they wish...

really. so if i chose to run stock, or intermiddleofit then thats up to me and the RACE DIRECTOR. cool. case closed on years of harassment.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Offroad has:
Stock 2 wheel buggy
Mod 2 wheel buggy

Stock truck
Super Stock truck
Mod truck

Super Stock 4 wheel
Mod 4 wheel

Slash

That's 9classes that still manage to draw over 100 entries at each of the ECT races, the two at TRCR in Tacoma drew over 150 entries.

The NWIC has 7 classes.

Hmm.
Seems like a plan to drive more people out of on road than anything. 5.5t intermediate good luck with that one. Kinda like having the high school drags and you can only run nitro funny cars.
after all this time, you guys should know i like to use extremes to prove my point, my point was/is. keeping it simple, I.E. like 1/8 scale buggy AIN'T gonna work in ON Road.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Offroad has:
Stock 2 wheel buggy
Mod 2 wheel buggy

Stock truck
Super Stock truck
Mod truck

Super Stock 4 wheel
Mod 4 wheel

Slash

The NWIC has 7 classes.

Hmm.
Umm, when was the last pro stock club race? never. At at club race if you run a 19 turn or 10.5 you run with the mods...like I choose too. I think Maybell post was in essence, to club racing more than big races. At the club level a simple determination of mod or stock, novice is easier. WGT, F-1, Mini and Trans am are all similar to slash classes, defined rules....spec class if you will. I think being a confused off roader that would it makes it easier for us to wanna come race. Me, I'm excited about racing on road this year. Gonna run some 13.5 touring and my wgt is all built and ready for some track time......Can't wait

Dut.......is that gtb gone yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.