Wiki Posts
Search

On Road Class Consolidation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabman
Ritchie, you are one that can not be satisfied, Mark and I added a promoters class for the 10th scale pan cars so the ones that DO NOT want to run round batteries we can run our lipos. So you through out there we don't follow rules adding a promoters class is well with in the rules.
Try Bringing your sh-t out and race then complain if you feel the need to or you might find out you had a good time and all is well.

At the regionals we will see the two 10th scale pan cars classes and really see how different the lap times are and how the cars handle with different power plants work to help us determine what will work for next year WGT class. If we decide on 17.5 lipo for our series then when we go to a big race or Roar event and want to run WGT we will install the power plant that would be required for that event and tune for the race and not bitch, we need to make our classes work for our area not what a couple of people want to see expressly the ones that do not support our series

Thanks for reading my two cents worth.

Rick St.Cyr (Fabman)

TIMEZONE RACING

I know i can be a pain the ass, and I really do apoligze to you for it, BUT everything written above, has already been done, or so it was posted that it was done, and you guys went with lipo 17.5 for club racing as that is what most of your guys wanted, and thats just what you should do, run what your guys want to run AT CLUB RACES. this is a regional, its suppose to be kinda a big deal for the locals. people are complaining about low class number, and splitting the wgt class is a bad idea, BUT after thinking about it, AND discussing it with other disinterested parties. seems, if you do not add the lipo WGT class turn out will suck anyway. So go adding the lipo class will be good for overall turn out, so i guess that a good thing.

ahhh, whos got a smoke.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I ran the last nationals before they made the switch to foam, 2002. You were given 3 sets of marked tires for your quals and mains. You weren't allowed to purchase or run new tires beyond the given 3 sets. I don't think you can do much more to cut tire cost. Plus it introduces a new strategy of when you should run new tires.

I still can't believe they allow you to run as many foam sets as you want, that's crazy and gives the advanatge to people with deep pockets. Big races should go with a marked hand out foam rule. I'm sure the foam tire companies love the current system of buy as many sets as you want and true them to 55mm-56mm.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigdadracing
totally agree this is some what confusing with all the different scenarios going in this forum my oppion is more related to carpet racing (nwic, wcs series) sorry for any confusion from my end
I believe the thread was based on the number of on road classes and foam vs rubber choice. Result way too many choices not enough racers. It's time to go back to the basics, as to what worked in the past, if by doing so increases the racer turnout the track owners should welcome it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jtveten
I believe the thread was based on the number of on road classes and foam vs rubber choice. Result way too many choices not enough racers. It's time to go back to the basics, as to what worked in the past, if by doing so increases the racer turnout the track owners should welcome it.
IMO. Benefits of the above; A place to race; better competition; more fun; faster development of your skills. More racers equal a larger base to spread the cost of racing, resulting in potentially less cost, or at the very least, a slow down of increase costs.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

I agree foam can be out of hand but if we had 1 foam class you don't have to run it if you don't want to....

It is a rush to run and I can buy 2 sets of foam for the cost of 1 pair of rubber. watching at all the big races we have gone to, the rubber thing is out of hand with a new set every run. and if limited to (4) sets like vegas that is still a $120 worth of rubber tires.

2 rubber classes
1 foam
1 12th scale
1 WGT

you would think would increase the class count.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
I agree foam can be out of hand but if we had 1 foam class you don't have to run it if you don't want to....

It is a rush to run and I can buy 2 sets of foam for the cost of 1 pair of rubber. watching at all the big races we have gone to, the rubber thing is out of hand with a new set every run. and if limited to (4) sets like vegas that is still a $120 worth of rubber tires.

2 rubber classes
1 foam
1 12th scale
1 WGT

So what's the proposed breakdown for the foam & rubber classes? 17.5 & 13.5 rubber & 13.5 Foam?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by I B RACIN
Have you raced any of these races?, who are you and why would anyone complain to you about the ECT series.

Who is most, because its one of the most popular class's, Do you see how that don't add up?

The numbers are the facts, what do you have to back up yours?

Torry Hadley
I'm John Tveten an old guy. Yes I have raced the ECT, most recent the one last month at TRCR, I don't know if that gives me anymore creditability to express my opinion or not, but the fact of the matter is, that the racers I've talked and listened to have expressed those concerns and thoughts. You might have another take on it, which is fine. IMO, I think the elimination of the Super stock classes would be an improvement.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Legend

No John , maybe making the event a shorter day would be nice , but not by eliminating class`s ....
Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
No John , maybe making the event a shorter day would be nice , but not by eliminating class`s ....
Now I know I'm on to something if we disagree.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916

2 rubber classes
1 foam
1 12th scale
1 WGT

I'm not sure what kind of deal everyone gets on their tires but locally a set of single stage Jaco electric foams is only $4-5 less than a set of sorex pre-mounts. At the club level where a set of rubbers is competitive for 1-2 race days instead of 2 sets per race day the cost savings is significant. I understand that at a national event with no tire limit both foam & rubber racers will opt to do 1run tires making the upfront rubber cost higher but after the event the rubber racer will have plenty of club race sets where the foam runner will have none.

foam vs rubber aside your idea 5 classes sounds solid for regional events but I just don't see enough racers showing up to support 5 divisions at the club level. Until turnouts increase to a level that can sustain 5 healthy classes the count should be reduced.

With the weak turnouts I have been seeing electric should be grouped into 3 divisions.

1. A beginner class for those still learning how to get around the track. By giving them their own class they don't feel so intimidate or bad when accidentally get someone's car and that someone feels good about not having to worry about them.
2. A staple intermediate level class that's fast enough to appeal to better drivers yet slow enough where less skilled experienced feel comfortable. 13.5 sedan or something of similar speed/difficulty would be a good example for outdoor venues.
3. A low entry cost class for those looking to give on-road a try, occasional racers, and/or sportsman racers on a tight budget. Just look at what the cheapo slash has done to boost off-road.

Having a bunch of maybe today, maybe not, or maybe gone classes at the club level like I see now is defiantly not doing us any favors. I can't say what class or classes are best for club X but having something to fit each of the 3 groups above would be a good way to build a program. Grow the class count from swelling attendance rather than hoping for the growing count to boost attendance.

Mark
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm John Tveten an old guy. Yes I have raced the ECT, most recent the one last month at TRCR, I don't know if that gives me anymore creditability to express my opinion or not, but the fact of the matter is, that the racers I've talked and listened to have expressed those concerns and thoughts. You might have another take on it, which is fine. IMO, I think the elimination of the Super stock classes would be an improvement.

John I'm an old guy also, I have been around here since 2001 been racing off road since the 90s, I don't race to offten anymore I just go to help out my (much more well known than me) son Keith Hadley

I still would'nt know who you were if you were standing infront of me, so my guess is you have been mostly an on road guy?

I was also at the TRCR race, and I know most of the off road crowd and not 1 person told me they would like to see the Super stock class's gone.

You were there and saw the numbers for Super stock class's yet you say most want them gone, Most would mean more than what entered the class.

If it is just your opinion thats fine.
or when you said most, you meant out of the hand full of people that talked to you about it?

Torry
Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Let me start off by saying I have not run a race in the series this year, I have a WGT car now and whenever its decided what the proper electronics are for it I will be up and running again, I raced when Big Dads was open and have been running off road since, so maybe my opinion doesnt count, but I dont think too many classes are whats hurting attendance. The Economy sucks, tracks are closing and when a track closes a good amount of the racers do something else, why have so much invested in something you can only use once in awhile. That in my opinion is the cause of the low turnout.

I think if you have enough racers willing to run in a class then run it, whats the benefit of having 2 heats of stock rubber as opposed to 1 heat of 17.5 and one heat of 13.5? I am much more inclined to run in a class I feel I can compete in then run in a class where at best I might make the back of an A main.

Is it possible to take a page from SCCA style racing and run 2 classes in one heat, like 13.5 rubber and 17.5 rubber together and have a winner for each class? Maybe just run the quals that way and the mains seperate? Just thinking out loud here.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Now I know I'm on to something if we disagree.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by I B RACIN
John I'm an old guy also, I have been around here since 2001 been racing off road since the 90s, I don't race to offten anymore I just go to help out my (much more well known than me) son Keith Hadley

I still would'nt know who you were if you were standing infront of me, so my guess is you have been mostly an on road guy?

I was also at the TRCR race, and I know most of the off road crowd and not 1 person told me they would like to see the Super stock class's gone.

You were there and saw the numbers for Super stock class's yet you say most want them gone, Most would mean more than what entered the class.

If it is just your opinion thats fine.
or when you said most, you meant out of the hand full of people that talked to you about it?

Torry
hey torry, its easy to see by the number of people that run the super stock class that it needs to stay. if there is any issue with the class, as stated before, most guys use the same motor for both super stock and mod, so some don't see a reason for the class to be there. but taking that amount of entrys (cash) out of a program makes absolutely no sense, would a few more people be more inclined to run the ect if it was only a 12 hour day instead of a 18 hour day, probably, but not enough to make up the difference in entries. the ECT seems plenty heathly, and thats a good thing.

just my opinion.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gregthecarguy
Let me start off by saying I have not run a race in the series this year, I have a WGT car now and whenever its decided what the proper electronics are for it I will be up and running again, I raced when Big Dads was open and have been running off road since, so maybe my opinion doesnt count, but I dont think too many classes are whats hurting attendance. The Economy sucks, tracks are closing and when a track closes a good amount of the racers do something else, why have so much invested in something you can only use once in awhile. That in my opinion is the cause of the low turnout.

I think if you have enough racers willing to run in a class then run it, whats the benefit of having 2 heats of stock rubber as opposed to 1 heat of 17.5 and one heat of 13.5? I am much more inclined to run in a class I feel I can compete in then run in a class where at best I might make the back of an A main.

Is it possible to take a page from SCCA style racing and run 2 classes in one heat, like 13.5 rubber and 17.5 rubber together and have a winner for each class? Maybe just run the quals that way and the mains seperate? Just thinking out loud here.
We had proposed that idea in the WGT thread awhile back when there was all the fighting over what batteries to use. I personally think its a good way to go. however it still doesn't solve the problem, only masks it. Plus in offroad its probably not as big of a deal coming up on slower lap traffic as it is in onroad. Say you're battling for first in the slower class and one of the faster guys comes up behind you both and makes you move over and the second place in you rclass car follows him thru because you were pulling over for the fast guy. i think that would infuriate most drivers. i know i woul dnot be please about having to put my car in the gravel just to let someone who's not in my immediate fight go by and by doing so get passed by the guy i've been frantically holding off for 18 laps.... I don't know that we will be able to come up with a set of restrictions on our own. I think that the track owners in the area are just going to have to tell us what they want us to run and give us the rest of the year to amass our equipment if need be. In the case of NWIC, we have 8 months before it starts up again. I think we can all save up and buy a new motor by then if we have to. in my case i might wanna buy about 10... 2 per round

My opinion on this is that we should make every effort to move towards base level classes being rubber and mod classes be foam. That way the guys that want to run foam can get their race on still. because frankly, I agree with Rick! Foam is so much damn fun. when you have a car that's working there is nothing more fun and challenging.

My other Idea would be for beginner and intermediate classes run rubber and the expert classes all be foam? i dunno.. im just spitballing things now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.