Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WGT drivers only.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Just want to add my two cents. I have a 10r5 so i'm limited to round cells if i want to win(i.e. 3.7v...... 1s lipo.... i mean come on...). The round cells were not a big deal as lipo chargers are backwards compatible and able to charge nimh. My gripe is that the majority of the WGT cars that have been sold around the country are the 10R5. The CRC is getting more popular mainly due to the battery delima. Those who were early adopters to the class are now being forced to buy a new chassis because no one wants to abide by the rules that were set when the class was created. The first chassis makers threw their hats into the ring with cars that were specifically designed with the rules in mind. If you want to run lipo then you're not really running WGT .... are ya?

So If anything, I think the Le Mans style racing is the best idea. The faster of the two classes should run Lola bodies and the slower should run the WGT spec and we all run together. This seems to be the most fair since this is how real races work and the slower traffic will add to the realism. Traffic will also show the better drivers as passing will become an issue. Then the top 5 qualifiers from each class should run the A main.

Again just my two cents... but I shouldn't have to buy another chassis for WGT. This chassis was designed specifically for the class and this is the only chassis I should need.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Keep it fun for everyone

Originally Posted by skypilot
thats why were trying to come up with a set a rules to make everyone happy, probably going to with something along the lines of Bens suggestion but without the points and team stuff.
I agree about the points part too Ritchie...Our LeMans class will be the only EGTC class doing so this summer. I had more fun than ever last summer with all of our classes keeping points out of the equation. It was by far one of the best overall season's I've ever ran or been a part of. Bragging rights from week to week was the norm...and most importantly, fun!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Ah Fred... yeah your da man....... a big 98 points at RC plus with (4) drivers yeah way to go... Again you sold out, and you ran long before I had the balls to bring the lipo discussion up.....way to go speedy.

Again just discussions guys. I ran my car at SIR with round cells and may still run at Tri-cities.....

There are the rest of the boys down here that have not way'd in with their opinions hopefully so I won't look the only A-hole anymore.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Rewp has a serious point that can't be dismissed, and in the discussions at TRCR his point was a very serious concern, telling someone that darwin will take of them, or they need to double stack cells is BS, at the same time we realize that there are those that will not buy a Nimh cell and we want to include them in the race program. We actually discussed lemans style bodies for the lipo guys and WGT style bodies for the Nimh guys. Jose wants to have a meeting sometime in near future, possibly within a couple of weeks to discuss this in person with everyone. Stay tuned for time and place. those on the fence are encouraged to attend to give thier input. Pizza on me.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Mark,

I wasn't trying to imply that you're an a-hole. far from it.. you're my hero I just don't see why everyone hates round cells so much. They're cheaper, have higher voltage than lipo, and they aren't the crappy/dangerous nicads/nimhs of 10 years ago(and it gives me a reason to use my GFX ). Plus, the associated cars were designed specifically to run them so converting will be difficult for anyone without a machine shop. Also, lets be honest. Racing is about having fun and when the deck is stacked against you from the start... its hard to have fun. so until we all decide on a standard, there is going to be a group that feels like that's the case. Unfortunately, none of the options we have are close enough to each other to be fair. 1s lipo is probably the most fair thing we could do. but that means that we ALL have to go out and by new batteries. If we're all going to have to buy new batteries, they should be cheap. Some of us don't care about having to go out and get new batteries. but some do. and with 2s lipos running over a $100 for a good pack and the 1s going for about $60(plus a $25 receiver pack), doesn't really make much sense when $35 gets you a nice pro-match 4600 4 cell pack.

*steps off the soap box*
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916

There are the rest of the boys down here that have not way'd in with their opinions hopefully so I won't look the only A-hole anymore.
And your doing a good jod at that.

So for those that do not yet have a WGT car, don't bother posting a question, this thread is for drivers only.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
And your doing a good jod at that.

So for those that do not yet have a WGT car, don't bother posting a question, this thread is for drivers only.
Easy, fellas.

This is supposed to be fun!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

WOW!!!!
Ok Here are my 2 cwents.
I got into carpet racing almost three years ago and bought all the stuff needed to run touring cars chargers,dischargers, equalizing trays, dyno's,ect. just for round cells what a pain in the rear, now comes along lipo and brushless for me this has made the sport more freindly for the new guy to runs his toys less stuff you have to deal with when using lipo and brushless.
As four WGT i don't want to use round cells. so after trying round cells at one of the NWIC race found that the round cells are not for me any more!
the 10th scale pan cars (WGT) are a blast to drive and are way cool for the person that wants to race his TOY and not spend every bit of his spare time working on it. as for round cells and the lipo debait i would like to see the pan cars run with a 17.5 brushless motor and 7.4 lipo as the cars are not so blazing fast with a 17.5 but still feel fun to drive.
so if the only way everyone can play with their TOY CARS is to eaither spilt the class one slow with 13.5 and 4 round battery's and one a little faster with 17.5 lipo or run the Lamans class i fell that the classes shouild be split and let the masses of the sport figure it out with the entries of the classes.
for me it will be 17.5 lipo as we have run this configeration foe some time at our track and it seems to be the perfect fit for use with all the wheel to wheel racing anyone could ask for, don't want people to have to buy any other chassie and if they find out that 17.5 lipo is where the fun is at then they will figure out how to join the class with the equipment they have. or they will have a spot also to run round cell in there pan cars. i beleave that 13.5 4-cell is grear for the people that want to run round but i want a place to run lipo and not go so slow it's nort fun or the folks in the NWIC would not have wanted to make the cars alittle faster as 13.5 4-cell was a little slow.

Thanks guys my 2 cents. ok maybe 1.50 worth

Fabman
Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rewp

So If anything, I think the Le Mans style racing is the best idea. The faster of the two classes should run Lola bodies and the slower should run the WGT spec and we all run together. This seems to be the most fair since this is how real races work and the slower traffic will add to the realism. Traffic will also show the better drivers as passing will become an issue. Then the top 5 qualifiers from each class should run the A main.

Again just my two cents... but I shouldn't have to buy another chassis for WGT. This chassis was designed specifically for the class and this is the only chassis I should need.
Rewp, I think you are onto something here. I like the idea if there is a big enough turnout. So one class can the same rules that are accepted nationally at the three big races, soon to be adopted by ROAR, and embraced by national level drivers across the cooubtry and those running lipo can run what they want. Sounds almost as if we need to close this thread and let "the other" people running lipo start there own.

If NiMh is to go the way of the dodo as some predict then that class will eventually fade out. And if lipo does make it's way into WGT then I'm sure Associated will come out with an upgrayedd chassis plate to accomodate lipo.

(Seriously I was kidding with the whole "other" people thing)

Race on!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I'm gonna go against CO recomendation and ask...on the 10r5 what is the gearing for the 17.5 lipo setup and what brand and size batts are acceptable? And whats the gearing for the 13.5 celled version? Just trying to get an idea which way to go? seems like a lot of debating in here? just trying to gain as much info before investing! Thanks in advance!

Thanks to Dutemp for answering alot of my ? already!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

at stick pack lipo is gonna be a pain in the ass to get into the chassis unless AE comes out with another chassis, however i did manage to get a saddle pack in the car without to much trouble,
Attached Thumbnails WGT drivers only.-dscf0578.jpg  
Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pete Thomas
Whats up Richie. Just seeing what this WGT is all about. Looks like it has potential. Hope that it doesn't become a flavor-of-the-month class.

Pete
Exactly!

sorry fred
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JROCK4224
So I'm gonna go against CO recomendation and ask...on the 10r5 what is the gearing for the 17.5 lipo setup and what brand and size batts are acceptable? And whats the gearing for the 13.5 celled version? Just trying to get an idea which way to go? seems like a lot of debating in here? just trying to gain as much info before investing! Thanks in advance!

Thanks to Dutemp for answering alot of my ? already!
13.5 4 cell rollout at SIR I was running about a 65mm. 55mm tires; 88 spur; 33 pinion. Novak motor.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
... at the same time we realize that there are those that will not buy a Nimh cell and we want to include them in the race program. We actually discussed lemans style bodies for the lipo guys and WGT style bodies for the Nimh guys. ...
I read on another thread that one club in LA is running Lipo/17.5 but limiting the Lipo to an Orion 2400 to make it more even with 4-cell/13.5. The Orion 2400 goes for about $33, about the same as one of those Pro-Match 4-cell packs.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rewp

Designing the cars to only run sub-C's was a mistake on the manufacturer's part - and possibly a final shot for NiMh manufacturers to find a niche in our hobby.
LiPo batteries are so far superior to NiMh - in virtually every way - that I can't believe we're still trying to keep in around. NiMh packs are only cheaper up front - over the long term you'll spend more maintaining and buying replacements.
I'm looking to buy a WGT car, but it wasn't until reading this thread that I realized theres a bit of a battle raging on. As I'm not in a position to throw money away, I'm going to wait until this is sorted out before pulling the trigger. I don't want to run a Lola body, either - kind of defeats the purpose of the GT class, doesn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.