Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
Well look at that I got upgraded to Mr Dutemple

Better than Ms. Don't Ya think?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

wondering how much actual wheel to wheel racing is going on at TZ.

Mikey put together and ran a WGT chassis with Mike and I last night, other the gearing, we were all competitive with each other, going faster may change this.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MAD916

Regarding the 17.5 and 7.4v being too fast. It did not seem that the class was created as another novice class.

just my 2 cents worth...................

and yet 1/12 scale is a 13.5 4cell, and then theres the "other" novice class 17.5 foam
Old 01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916

Regarding the 17.5 and 7.4v being too fast. It did not seem that the class was created as another novice class. Even though TZII is big we still have 8 to 9' lanes with just a lot more corners... would think the same motor at all tracks would be the norm.

We will be at Trackside Hobbies for the Novak Race next weekend and will talking with Scotty Ernst the "Father of WGT" to get his opinions.......

just my 2 cents worth...................
So with Scotty Ernst being the "father of WGT" do you not think that he knows what he is doing? You know the guy that is paid to travel all over the world running major races both on and off-road, the guy that has major races at HIS track that has both on and off-road, and not only that but he is one damn good driver, you don't think he knows what does and doesn't work?

This isn't just directed at you Mark, but all those that know better and think they can re-invent the wheel.

The amazing thing is that you DON'T have to run that class if it doesn't suite you, there's what, 5 other classes in the NWIC alone that you all can run in!

The WGT class is becoming popular because 4 cell 13.5 works for this style of chassis, why else would Scotty Ernst use that formula at all of his BIG races?

And yes, I do know Scotty, have talked with him at 5 of his races.
Fred
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

i see pete, lurking, whats up buddy
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I came back into RC about a year ago. Prior my last go at it was a frankenstein-dual BL-Emaxx using NiMh. Prior to that it was a gold pan RC10 with NiCd.

NiCd and NiMh were a pain in my noobie butt. Memory, proper care, discharge, cycle, put 'em in the fridge with lightbulbs attached, etc. LiPo is awesome...don't fill it too fast and don't run it too low. Simple...so I think.

People new to the hobby (racing electric rc cars in general) are advised these days to run LiPo...at least that's the nearly 100% of advice passed to me.

My question(s): Is WGT meant only for seasoned 'rc vets' who started with and don't mind NiMh (or NiCd)? If so, then fine. But if WGT (or any other class) is to grow, isn't it possible the class could evolve? Why would a total noob (like me) buy into a class that's running on "old technology"? And if it's not "old" or there's "nothing wrong" with NiMh, why are most folks switching to or at least considering LiPo?

These aren't baited questions, I am admittedly clueless as to why anyone "new" would go spend money on batteries that only a few (relatively speaking) are using.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Those are all good questions, the round cells, 4200's in particular had a problem of a few people managing to blow them up, but it was mostly the same people blowing them up all the time.
The new generation of 4600's don't have that problem and have a good life expectancy, I know of three people that never even took their batteries out of the WGT cars over a 2 day race, just run and recharge, BL is not as demanding as a brushed motor for battery stress, in the spec classes anyway.

1/12th uses round cells, see any probs there? WGT is a bigger version of 1/12th and uses a sedan body rather than a wedge.

The class was revived with the use of 4 round cells and a 13.5 BL motor.
6 cell did the class in with the too high speeds.
2 of the chassis are not designed for 6 cell or lipo, they should not be excluded.

Just like 1/12th, they are meant to run one system, dodn't like that system, run one of the other classes that have trouble filling a full main, don't drag WGT to that level too.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

lipo is easier then nimh, like you said, charge it run it, charge it run it, however nimh is also easy, its only has hard as YOU decide to make it. when i was running my 1/12 at FW and SIR, i straped in a battery, and ran it all day, no discharging, no trays, no fuss, no muss. however at home during the week i would discharge it, tray it, and put back about 4 -5 minutes of charge into it. there are those that do even more seeking every last tingle they can get out of a battery.

I can tell you this for a fact as i have the numbers to back it up. During the ECT at TRCR I ran a 17.5 brushless motor with Nimh, 6 ozs over min weight and the results are posted somewhere, last friday at TRCR I ran the lipo in a couple of qual and then switched to Nimh and went way faster. and this was with a nimh battery that had been sitting around for a couple of weeks, i didn't even discharge it or tray it before peaking it.

during nationals i was running 17.2's with Lipo, i bought a Nimh and went 16.7, I ended up winning nationals with a battery that stayed in the car all day and was never discharged or trayed between rounds. at the sizzler i ran Nimh in the Trans Am class, (same story on the battery) and had a very very heavy car, heaviest one there, and had a hella of a battle with Mr. Dutemple, (not sure what he ran) long story short, (oops to late) Nimh is faster then lipo and the extra weight be damned and thats all MY personal opinion with race results to back it up. However with all that said, and with the new Thunder Power 40C battery that has probably all changed, (I believe Thunder Powers numbers and not the guy who a week before Thunder Power released thiers was on the internet saying 40C wasn't possible but now has one) so lets say we decide to go with lipo and 17.5 for the WGT cars, wanna guess whos going to by the 40C lipo for $129.00 vs running the Nimh packs i already have? And if by chance I pull off a win or two, wanna guess who's gonna be over that FW ordering 40C lipo's, yep the guys that didn't wanna spend 80 bucks on nimh.

AND WITH ALL THAT SAID, whatever decision is made, I will take that side and try and convice everyone to play happy. (however not fond of making rules that exclude or make it difficult on those that bought one brand of chassis to comply)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Ya ever notice that when you peak a lipo that the reading is 8.4V, that's the enforced voltage with ROAR or Tamiya TCS, they check lipo voltage .
remember way back when, like last year when you peaked a 6 cell 4200 it peaked at around 9.2V?
That be a lot of voltage gained with a round cell esp in stock where it didn't fade like has been said the lipo has an advantage, that was another fairy tale or why else are the lipo's up to 40C rating now?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks guys, for the info.

I'm just in this for fun. Love learning to tune my tc...but for some reason looking to stress myself out by running 2 classes.

Sorry to hijack the thread with battery questions...back to lurk mode!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Keep everyone running

An idea...

Maybe you could accomodate both types/combinations at the same time. Go with a LeMans series concept...

One rules package would be WGT1 and the other WGT2. Which ever combination is stronger/faster that would be WGT1. Have drivers link up as Teams...One runs WGT1 the other WGT2. Run in the same race and have points associated with both WGT1 & WGT2 then have a Team Championship combining team points. This is of course assuming your running for points and there would be enough to split into even teams anyway...Maybe everyone can be happy and more cars running than those who may not with either rules package.

This is a similar idea/concept that we are doing this summer in Everett with our EGTC LeMans class. The EGTC Trans-Am class is close to this too. Those that wanted to run 27 Turn/17.5 are considered "Big Block T/A" and those running Silver Can/21.5 are "Small Block T/A"...Both running at the same time but two winners and an overall winner. Silver Cans have one the overall and everyone raced what they wanted and had fun doing it.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jubilee
I came back into RC about a year ago. Prior my last go at it was a frankenstein-dual BL-Emaxx using NiMh. Prior to that it was a gold pan RC10 with NiCd.

NiCd and NiMh were a pain in my noobie butt. Memory, proper care, discharge, cycle, put 'em in the fridge with lightbulbs attached, etc. LiPo is awesome...don't fill it too fast and don't run it too low. Simple...so I think.

People new to the hobby (racing electric rc cars in general) are advised these days to run LiPo...at least that's the nearly 100% of advice passed to me.

My question(s): Is WGT meant only for seasoned 'rc vets' who started with and don't mind NiMh (or NiCd)? If so, then fine. But if WGT (or any other class) is to grow, isn't it possible the class could evolve? Why would a total noob (like me) buy into a class that's running on "old technology"? And if it's not "old" or there's "nothing wrong" with NiMh, why are most folks switching to or at least considering LiPo?

These aren't baited questions, I am admittedly clueless as to why anyone "new" would go spend money on batteries that only a few (relatively speaking) are using.
So here's a condensed version of how the WGT class started. Scotty Ernst wanted to bring back 1/10th scale pancar but the reason the class went away in the first place was that it was too fast and when I say too fast I mean faster than mod sedan blow over at 50+ mph too fast. So with some testing of current tech they came up with the 4 cell 13.5 combo. My guess is because a)13.5 was the first motor released and most people if they had gone brushless have them. b)In order to keep the speed down the only solution was 4 cell. I'm sure they tested lipo but to get the speed and handling they wanted it just did not work because of weight and readily available motors at the time.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jubilee
Thanks guys, for the info.

I'm just in this for fun. Love learning to tune my tc...but for some reason looking to stress myself out by running 2 classes.

Sorry to hijack the thread with battery questions...back to lurk mode!
not a problem, and yes fun is what its all about, (or suppose to be)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah there probably is not much wheel to wheel racing at TZII

What a joke...... I guarantee you we got more laps, in more configurations, and more WGT cars than any track in the N.W.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Silver Cup
An idea...

Maybe you could accomodate both types/combinations at the same time. Go with a LeMans series concept...

One rules package would be WGT1 and the other WGT2. Which ever combination is stronger/faster that would be WGT1. Have drivers link up as Teams...One runs WGT1 the other WGT2. Run in the same race and have points associated with both WGT1 & WGT2 then have a Team Championship combining team points. This is of course assuming your running for points and there would be enough to split into even teams anyway...Maybe everyone can be happy and more cars running than those who may not with either rules package.

This is a similar idea/concept that we are doing this summer in Everett with our EGTC LeMans class. The EGTC Trans-Am class is close to this too. Those that wanted to run 27 Turn/17.5 are considered "Big Block T/A" and those running Silver Can/21.5 are "Small Block T/A"...Both running at the same time but two winners and an overall winner. Silver Cans have one the overall and everyone raced what they wanted and had fun doing it.
FW ran a true Lemans class back in the day, several different chassis and styles of cars on the track at the same time.

FW also tried the variable power plant idea with the Trans Am cars last year, I'm gonna go ahead and say it out loud, it sucked and pretty much killed the class. while there was a battle here and there, everyone was pretty much driving around by themselves overall the car were to fast.

I think deciding what type of racing you want, {several cars in a group battling with the average driver in the mix with the fast guys} or 10 cars on the track with 3 two car battles and a couple of also rans.

I think getting away from points series and points altogether will actually increase turn out. IMO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.