2009 Northwest Championship Tour (NCT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Northwest Championship Tour (NCT)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Legend

The race program`s that keep gas truck are the ones that will see me racing at their events....
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think that whatever NCT classes have enough people to run should run as long as a certain number are there to race. I would be surprised if NCT events next year have enough MT's to make a class, based on turnout for this years' races and the fact that 4 or 5 of the regulars will not be participating next year.
So either use the energy spent arguing about it to come up with ways to make it more popular and revive it or let it die.
That applies to any class, nobody wants to stand around while 2 or three cars go around in circles burning time.
Another way around that is to run two classes together, score them separate. Say 4 MT's show up with 5 Gas Trucks, it isn't right to turn people away that spend the time/money to travel, so run them in the most efficient manner.
I think if we all give input, help out, and things work out well for next year, this won't even be an issue.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JeremyS
FWIW, on our club level races, Gas Truck and MT has surpassed truggy entries about 2:1.
See, now that makes sense. So why are these guys not coming out for NCT races? Probably because of me, Roy, Hansen, Tasa, etc.
Like I have said before, break the MT class up into Sportsman/Pro or Stock/Mod.
Stock being STOCK. (Everything, no oneways, center diffs, etc.)
Mod being basically what we have now, or clarified to keep people happy.
I don't think ANY kid wants to go spend $600 to try to get into racing and go get blown off the track on their first attempt.
Run them together if you have to, until numbers come up, but when new guys start seeing trophies they WILL keep coming back.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by crashin73
I just reread the rule, it states no more than 2 packs, and refer to 2.3.1.2 states that "1, 2S LiPo equals 1 pack". so 2- 2s packs would be the maxx. If this needs further clarifying, let me know, also if there is an easier way to state it.
Thank you very much for the input. I do appreciate it, wether i agree with it or not. we cannot make inprovements with out input from the racers.
Corey
No, you are right, I am not sure what I saw that made me think otherwise. I may have been confusing "2S" with "2 cell' when I orginally read it.
OH. Wait. Lol, now I know what I was thinking. Ok:
"1, 2S LiPo equals 1 pack".
1x 2S pack is legal. A 2S 5000 is made up of multiple smaller cells in parallel to get capacity. So what defines a pack? Being in it's own shrinkwrap? If someone were to take for example, 2x Venom 5000 2S packs, break them down and rewire them together in parallel, then re-shrink them they would have 1x 2s pack? What if those same two packs were NOT broken down, but wired externally to be in parallel, would it still be considered 1x2S pack?
That is what my original confusion was, and where my questions came from. Honestly, it doesn't matter one bit, and the way it is worded under 1/8 conversion batteries is the way around it. "Any battery configuration that equals 4S." (Or whatever it says, that was from memory.)
The whole question came from me looking at 4 5000 2S packs and wondering if making two 10,000 2S packs was NCT legal.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ryan, nice post. I said the same thing 2 years ago and got ran out of town on a rail. If the NCT stays just like it is there only needs to be a couple of twiks. Longer lower mains for ALL CLASSES and more bump ups. To help with the longer main times we need to start the lower mains on Saturday night. Race till 10 PM and get as many mains out of the way. That way we get done and gone early on Sunday. We don't need trophies for the regular NCT races. Have some plaques made and sell them a long with hats and shirts and give out hangers for the top 3-5 what ever. This will help lower the cost to the tracks and maybe the racers. Make the last race one day longer, and think about a banquet at the end of the season for the racers. Only do the top 3-5 for season awards and call it good.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeremyS
FWIW, on our club level races, Gas Truck and MT has surpassed truggy entries about 2:1.
Many of these guys do race NCT races, but there's always going to be a certain amount of local racers who do not travel to out of town races for various reasons. I know when I started racing, I didn't go out of town for a couple years, and many of our local racers are relatively new.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One of the of the reasons the NCT was set up originally without a sportsman class was to encourage sportsman level drivers to club race to get their skills up before spending the money to travel and compete against the best in the NW. Obvioulsy, times have changed and it has evolved into somthing much more than the 100 entry races it was in '03.

I personally (minus the obvious time issue) think the best change that could be made to the NCT 8th Scale classes would be to add a Sportsman class. To me one of the cool things about the Man Cup was seeing guys that normally need to have the run of their lives to make an A Main at an NCT, have a legit shot at getting into the Sportsman mains. That was very cool to watch and see just the extra amount of enthusiasm these guys had at that race.

Also, from my point of view (and it would be great to get Ryan, Rick, Marc, Taylor, Bridgewater and some of the other A Main regulars opinion on this too) if there were Sportsman classes, give them the trophies. I personally don't care and don't think the other guys care so much about the trophies; it's the race and competing against the other guys that I care about.

It's GREAT to see all of the constructive input in here!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hal Hudson
Ryan, nice post. I said the same thing 2 years ago and got ran out of town on a rail. If the NCT stays just like it is there only needs to be a couple of twiks. Longer lower mains for ALL CLASSES and more bump ups. To help with the longer main times we need to start the lower mains on Saturday night. Race till 10 PM and get as many mains out of the way. That way we get done and gone early on Sunday. We don't need trophies for the regular NCT races. Have some plaques made and sell them a long with hats and shirts and give out hangers for the top 3-5 what ever. This will help lower the cost to the tracks and maybe the racers. Make the last race one day longer, and think about a banquet at the end of the season for the racers. Only do the top 3-5 for season awards and call it good.
Thats a lot on the line of what I said Hal... Nice job

make it easier and cheaper, and FUN

All ya need ta do... sounds easy huh

Stav
Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mike Dana
One of the of the reasons the NCT was set up originally without a sportsman class was to encourage sportsman level drivers to club race to get their skills up before spending the money to travel and compete against the best in the NW. Obvioulsy, times have changed and it has evolved into somthing much more than the 100 entry races it was in '03.

I personally (minus the obvious time issue) think the best change that could be made to the NCT 8th Scale classes would be to add a Sportsman class. To me one of the cool things about the Man Cup was seeing guys that normally need to have the run of their lives to make an A Main at an NCT, have a legit shot at getting into the Sportsman mains. That was very cool to watch and see just the extra amount of enthusiasm these guys had at that race.

Also, from my point of view (and it would be great to get Ryan, Rick, Marc, Taylor, Bridgewater and some of the other A Main regulars opinion on this too) if there were Sportsman classes, give them the trophies. I personally don't care and don't think the other guys care so much about the trophies; it's the race and competing against the other guys that I care about.

It's GREAT to see all of the constructive input in here!

+1

Great input Mike....
Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by suprdave
Not hating Roy, just an example. Yes, the same thing can be said for gas truck it's about dead too.
Yes you are hating , or you would have realized that there were more MT racers than every single electric class except for Mod Truck. And we could probably combine Mod Truck with Gas Truck since we now run E-Buggies/Truggies and E-Mts together. Lots of time to be saved without getting rid of the MT class.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RD Racing
Yes you are hating , or you would have realized that there were more MT racers than every single electric class except for Mod Truck. And we could probably combine Mod Truck with Gas Truck since we now run E-Buggies/Truggies and E-Mts together. Lots of time to be saved without getting rid of the MT class.
NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

here is my opinion on this.
1. i really like Ryan's idea. that cuts the cost down for all the racers. and i like the idea of a banquet at the finals. and instead of having giant final trophies maybe put that money towards food at the banquet so it free for the racers or at least make it cheaper. this could be done after the mains finish. good time for everyone to talk about the year and just hang out away from the track. we dont get to do that much. the downside of this is like chris said im gonna miss my west side friend

2. or if the NCT keeps the same format i would sugest that you add sportsman classes for the 1/8 classes like mike said. this does a lot of things. it keep the quals cleaner for both the pro AND sportsman drivers. it also gives some people that may not have as good of chance at the curent A or B main a legit chance at a long main. this would also make the points more interesting. to me whats the fun in trying to catch the guy in 70th if im in 86 for example? now getting inside the top 20 or top 10 is a different story. if a guy wins the series in sportsman he moves up to pro the next year

as far as the time to make this possible, there is no perfect solution. someone has to go. which sucks. my sugestion is to eliminate all electric or consolidate it to just a couple. like Mod truck and 4 Mod. i know people will be mad but there is the ECT also running and maybe that could leak into the summer for the electric guys. its tough for people to not take eliminating a class personal but to make the NCT better something has to change. i am not a big fan of having electrics run with gas in any class at all but having mod truck combine with gas truck would help save time. and increase entries in that class. to me thats last resort. lol

here are some general things that would help to save time.
1. Start on time. this is easy but doesn't happen often
2. shorten the drivers meeting. save the BS for after the race or the pits. lets get started.
3. Live loop for quals. i think most people used this witch i think worked, but You can not allow cutting the track if you use this. defeats the purpose.
4. Actually dock marshals if they aren't out there in time. i have never seen it done in all my years of racing. if you dock laps people will learn. empty threats dont do anything
5. if at all possible do whatever main you can on Sat. night.
6. EXIBITION CLASSES dont have them run quals and a main. takes too much time. have this race qualified by drawing a number out of a hat and run the main while we wait for the the trophy presentation.

to add to what mike said i think trophy top 3 in all classes but dont do anything crazy.

and maybe call sportsman intermediate.

Rick
just my thoughts don't anyone hate me. lol
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

it good to see that for the most part this thead is staying positive you dont see that much on the internet.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Something else just occurred to me: We rarely do actual Amain introductions any more, and that isn't right. Our sponsors help us out in exchange for us helping them out, and a big part of it is announcing that their products are in the A main. We have had time/weather restraints at most races that intros haven't happened, but they need to be higher on the priority list and not the thing that gets cut when things don't go smoothly.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

My opinion on the Sportsman class from someone who started out in the D/E mains and is slowly working his way up to sometimes making the A's is this: I like it how it is, and liked it how it was when I was making the D's. It gave me something to shoot for and was fun to be able to bang with the big dogs in the quals at least. Runtime in the main kinda sucked, but that is why I ran multiple classes. (Like MT, I got my 30 minutes runtime there.)
The sportsman/pro debate is old and you can find one on every forum, but I think we will see more races run without separate classes in the future. (Like Silver State will be this year.)
There are obvious benefits for adding a sportsman class, but also a lot of negatives, like more time eaten up for long mains, further reducing the entries in classes, and regulating the sandbagging.
Plus, there are guys who will opt to run pro even though they aren't qualified to do so, and continue to hack, drive out of control, t-bone the leaders EVERY time they get lapped, etc.
It was a rough weekend................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.