Which Off Road Class To Get Into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Off Road Class To Get Into?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Which Off Road Class To Get Into?

I am starting back into racing and I am wondering which class to go into. I am trying to decide between 2wd, 4wd, or Truck. Which is the best class and which have the best turnouts at the races?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Welcome back.
First, what track do you plan on racing the most? TRCR always has good turnouts.
Typically there is always a 2wd class of some sort. I can't remember a time when I didn't see at least a 2wd stock or mod class. Usually there's one or the other and many times both.
Stick with a 2wd for the time being.
My $.02.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

What about in the Portland/Salem area? Which class is the most popular year in-year out?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Seems like 2wd buggy usually has the highest average turnout followed by truck and then 4wd buggy. 2wd buggy is definitely the most challenging to drive out of the three.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

At Amain Raceway here in Portland, there is alway all three classes i.e. truck 4 wheel and 2 wheel. We usually have a 4w sportsman and pro, a 2w stock and mod, and a stock truck class. Typically the most competition has been in 2w mod and 4w pro classes. Truck are easer to drive though, but harder to work through traffic.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default truck...then slash

From Central Oregon?!!! Another trapped in the black-hole of no-rc car hobby sports in our beautiful region :-)

I vote for 2wd truck first...I found, living over here and traveling to a variety of tracks that the trucks deal better with potential 1/8 scale size jump-tracks and dial down nicely with a bit more durability for places like a-main in portland.

That said, I'm currently crazy with the Traxxas Slash and the future of closed-wheel racing -- short course -- and a change from fragile models into bomb-proof toys with lots of potential. Different racing and thanks to the likes of Nascar, a popular form of racing.

Locally, please encourage D's Hobbies about getting an off-road club/track going and don't be scarce on the internet...property owners and future Central Oregon racing needs to get their ears filled with enthusiasm! Share any information about private tracks you have, it is a big step to just get some locals together racing.

-rob.

B4, T4, Slash
Novak brushless, MaxAmps Lipo
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been into D's hobbies several times but lately their R/C selection is really dwindling. I have been to that new one down the street (wild hobbies)? They have a great selection and much better prices but still no one wants to start a track. I have been thinking of starting one here in Redmond.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

+1 for the Slash class - haven't had this much fun racing in a long time. It's usually one of the more popular classes at our local track, should only get better this winter.
I've been a truck/buggy guy for a long time, but the closed-wheel stuff is hard to ignore, especially if the manufacturers are able to make them handle. I'm planning to run an Associated SC8 next summer, hoping that I'll have plenty of competition.