Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

NORTHWEST 12TH SCALE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My Roche P12 was the best it had ever been this past Saturday. I made quite a few changes, especially with the rear suspension. First, I widened the car 4mm all the way around. This made my car far less twitchy and made cornering smoother. I also ran a softer center shock spring (VBC gold) and softer side springs (Roche white). This gave me the rear traction that I so desperately needed. I noticed that with this setup, it would be only about a lap to get the tires to come in, compared to the four or five laps when I ran a much harder rear suspension. For now, you can't go wrong with pink rears and purple/lilac fronts for asphalt. I prefer to true mine down via many pracice laps!

I think that Todd, Stuart, and I were driving very well in the main. Eight minutes went by with consistent lap times and almost no mistakes. This class offers 32 minutes of extra practice time per day. We have been running the race silent (no announcer) for the past few times. It is quite nice to have an open track and just turn laps without the pressure of a ten car main. I really hope to see a few more 1/12 scales out for the finale race of the season.

- George
Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by purplerain
My Roche P12 was the best it had ever been this past Saturday. I made quite a few changes, especially with the rear suspension. First, I widened the car 4mm all the way around. This made my car far less twitchy and made cornering smoother. I also ran a softer center shock spring (VBC gold) and softer side springs (Roche white). This gave me the rear traction that I so desperately needed. I noticed that with this setup, it would be only about a lap to get the tires to come in, compared to the four or five laps when I ran a much harder rear suspension. For now, you can't go wrong with pink rears and purple/lilac fronts for asphalt. I prefer to true mine down via many pracice laps!

I think that Todd, Stuart, and I were driving very well in the main. Eight minutes went by with consistent lap times and almost no mistakes. This class offers 32 minutes of extra practice time per day. We have been running the race silent (no announcer) for the past few times. It is quite nice to have an open track and just turn laps without the pressure of a ten car main. I really hope to see a few more 1/12 scales out for the finale race of the season.

- George
Curious why a stock 1/12 class isn't offered... feel like it would get more pancars out. Not everyone wants to run mod or a 17.5 in MOD to pull over for 8 minutes. WGT (Foam) would be even more awesome I bet... ran it in a parking lot and it worked out... not sure why WGT seems to be the bastard class... also not sure why Xray came out with one...
Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really like the no-race-call qualifying in our 1/12th class of late. The first time, it was less about any specific thought than simply not wanting to trouble someone to call our little field. But then, it was quite nice. For me it is 8 minutes of silent concentration. I'm not sure how many are actually watching, but I'm sure my face is going through all sorts of contortions throughout the run It's intense!

Kyle, we thought about what to run. And not to throw shade at anyone, but I knew two racers would show every time, no matter what, and I had interest from a couple others who were open to whatever and likely to show. So, I thought, if we can make mod work, then anything will work. And it has been hard work to slowly but steadily improve, and y'know, we've been getting it dialed in! From the early going in the spring, all the way to now when we're able to let it rip pretty hard, it has been a journey. Stuart and I have run mod power from day one, but George and Jeff started with 17.5s and have slowly dosed in more power. I believe George is running full-gas? I think with a 5.5, and he's racy.

Stuart has been the fast car all season, and he's crying out for more power even now. I'm really looking forward to carrying over what we've learned to indoors and taking the fight to the big boys. I think Stuart will have something good to show.

Spec power, whether 17.5 or 13.5, would be easy-squeezy after what we've learned this season. I do not think spec tires would be a good choice outdoors. Not the purple stripes, anyway. According to the ROAR entry list, 1/12th scale at Paved Nats is 13.5/blinky. If we are going to spec the motor next season, that would be my vote. But in reality, it's easy to overpower the track. The spec is pretty much wide open, and we have all gravitated toward a mild modified type power and smooth trigger fingers. I can only speculate, but in my mind it must be like mod buggy, where an easy pull and smooth inputs are the only way to handle a car that otherwise wants to break loose in an instant.

Anyway, yes, it would be wonderful to have more 1/12th scales out there. I won't pretend they will ever draw like touring cars, but for those few who I know are watching and thinking, they really do go! They're much different than TCs, it's subtlety and finesse all the time.

World GT...man, if you can make an argument that makes sense as to why that class is not rocking in every corner of the world, I'd like to hear it. I really can't explain it.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am thinking of getting a second 1/12 scale for running mod at the CC but I have a few questions. What rollout should I start at if I was to get a 4.5 turn motor and what tire combinations would work well?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kelseyrc
I am thinking of getting a second 1/12 scale for running mod at the CC but I have a few questions. What rollout should I start at if I was to get a 4.5 turn motor and what tire combinations would work well?

Thanks!
Mod! Whoa!!!!!!!!!! What carpet type and size track?
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tommy911t
Mod! Whoa!!!!!!!!!! What carpet type and size track?
It's grey carpet and I'm not sure of the actual dimensions but it's the size of a basketball court. I'm sure Todd or Brian could give the exact dimensions.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks!
Try a 28/98 pinion/spur with a 4.5 Kelsey. That’s a good medium start for that wind.

As for tires, a very nice combo that’s easy to tune to is blue rears with a stripe spec front. I’m currently running pink rears and lilac fronts. I think blues might be better, but I’ve got a pile of pinks from this summer I’m burning up. The lilacs are the same as a stripe front, stripes are just a lilac with a stripe for easy tech.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

It's grey carpet and I'm not sure of the actual dimensions but it's the size of a basketball court. I'm sure Todd or Brian could give the exact dimensions.
CRC HD grey ozite. 4 rolls. 100’ by 48’. Mwah! Perfect!
R3VoLuTiOn likes this.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Try a 28/98 pinion/spur with a 4.5 Kelsey. That’s a good medium start for that wind.

As for tires, a very nice combo that’s easy to tune to is blue rears with a stripe spec front. I’m currently running pink rears and lilac fronts. I think blues might be better, but I’ve got a pile of pinks from this summer I’m burning up. The lilacs are the same as a stripe front, stripes are just a lilac with a stripe for easy tech.
Thanks Todd! Should I true down the tires a little more for mod than stock? I currently true my tires to 42.5 rear and 41.7 front.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

I’m starting mine at 42/40 and got four runs last time out. Pinks wear better than blues, so don’t hesitate to leave blues a little bigger-a full mm-if you go that route.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

True to form, I managed not last in both mod qualifiers...due to attrition only. I suppose it’s tome for some proper tires...my magenta/dbl pinks came it at the five minute mark...

Managed to send Todd soaring in second qual (Sorry again, Todd!!).

Will try out blue rears and spec fronts next time out. Mod is hard! But a pure blast.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default SUMMER MOD

I'm very excited for the outdoor season to start. I've been racing 1/12 scale with SRCR on and off for about three years now. I've run 17.5, 13.5, and MOD 1/12, also I have tried my hand at touring car with both 17.5 and MOD. It's a lot of fun to run both TC and 1/12 scale cars, but it is also very time consuming, and very hard to be good at both.

1/12 MOD is twice as much fun as anything else you can drive. For this reason I'm going to make it my main focus class moving forward. I've been selling out of all my old Touring Car (R11) stuff on ebay, and am going to run 1/12 MOD anytime that my schedule works and there is a class.

Having already sold most of my touring car stuff, I put most of that money back into my business, buying a massive Dell Ultrasharp 30 inch monitor, and other hardware. This leaves me with a small budget left to build out a new 1/12 MOD car, and maybe a new SPEC car as well.

Trying to keep costs down, here is what my 2018/2019 MOD program is looking like.

CRC CK25 (Amain with discount code: $180.00)
XR10 PRO 1s (Hobbywing, replacement from an old v3.1 that i fried: $130)
ORCA 8000 G3 battery (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Hobbywing V10 G2 4.5 with high RPM rotor 12.1, for softer take-off (From 2016 so no cost this season)
Xpert MI-3301 -HV (Still need to buy, I like this servo a lot, but it is on the heavy side, still looking at for better options, but might buy it from Hobby-Square for $99.99)
Spektrum DX5R (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Spektrum SR2000 (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Jaco Pinks for the rear (From Stomer hobbies fro $6.99 per pair)
Trinity Team Pinks 37S for the front (Still need to buy, but they are $6.39 per pair + shipping)
Protoform BMR-12.1 .030 Lexan ($20.99 from amain)

So this will bring a total cost of about $450.00 to run my 1/12 MOD program for the 2018/2019 season + about $15.00 per race day for tires + any broken parts or stripped gears and maybe another $75.00 or so to add 2nd battery.

With most touring car programs costing over $500 just for the car I'm loving my new commitment to just racing 100% 1/12 scale.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lence
I'm very excited for the outdoor season to start. So am I!
[...]
Trying to keep costs down, here is what my 2018/2019 MOD program is looking like.

CRC CK25 (Amain with discount code: $180.00) Great choice. CRC still offers one of the best values in all of 1/12th-Land.
XR10 PRO 1s (Hobbywing, replacement from an old v3.1 that i fried: $130) Great ESC at a great price with the RMA discount.
ORCA 8000 G3 battery (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Hobbywing V10 G2 4.5 with high RPM rotor 12.1, for softer take-off (From 2016 so no cost this season) Good thoughts on the rotor. I ran that exact combo for most of last season. The small rotor gives an easy trigger.
Xpert MI-3301 -HV (Still need to buy, I like this servo a lot, but it is on the heavy side, still looking at for better options, but might buy it from Hobby-Square for $99.99) I continue to search and cannot find a better 1/12th servo than the Futaba 9650. Others may present better specs on paper, but in practice, paired with a Kimbrough medium servo saver, the 9650 has proven to be bullet proof. It's strong, maintains it's center after months and years of abuse, and is light and small. And budget. Give it a look.
Spektrum DX5R (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Spektrum SR2000 (From 2017 so no cost this season)
Jaco Pinks for the rear (From Stomer hobbies fro $6.99 per pair) I jumped on that deal for my outdoor tires!
Trinity Team Pinks 37S for the front (Still need to buy, but they are $6.39 per pair + shipping) I'm on a personal Trinity strike, but that's the right shore rating for outdoors. Price is great, too!
Protoform BMR-12.1 .030 Lexan ($20.99 from amain)

So this will bring a total cost of about $450.00 to run my 1/12 MOD program for the 2018/2019 season + about $15.00 per race day for tires + any broken parts or stripped gears and maybe another $75.00 or so to add 2nd battery.

With most touring car programs costing over $500 just for the car I'm loving my new commitment to just racing 100% 1/12 scale.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Trinity Team Pinks 37S for the front (Still need to buy, but they are $6.39 per pair + shipping) [color=#3498db
I'm on a personal Trinity strike, but that's the right shore rating for outdoors. Price is great, too!].
Can we lean more details about the Trinity strike? This should be a good read...
Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.