Wiki Posts
Search

NORTHWEST 1/12 Q&A!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FrankW
Well, sounds like it might be worth a try. Plus I need a reason to bring out my milling machine.

Are you sure you're not running faster simply because it's a Gen X and not because of the servo modification?

-Frank
No, I always just run faster !!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Uh huh

-Frank
Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

as the proud owner of a new gen x, thought i would bump this to the first page.

so, as far as the front end, put the long upper arm kit on, servo mounted in top screw holes and middle of servo saver, in all the reading, i'm guessing this should be smooth and easy to drive with good all around driving.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the long upper arm kit should be good for a large wide-open track, like Timezone II, for small tracks like BDR, I think the stock location will be the fastest.

-Frank
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

what I said about the servo mount hole location was a typo....

the lower holes is the way to go....sorry...

I will be testing the long-ball front end at SIR soon....my parts should be ariving this week...all GenX drivers should have this as soon as you can get your hands on them, will be better in some conditions...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STARSCREAM
...I will be testing the long-ball front end at SIR soon....my parts should be ariving this week...all GenX drivers should have this as soon as you can get your hands on them, will be better in some conditions...
...such as...?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDX-Spike
...such as...?
Ice racing !!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sean,

Can you shed some light on steering end point adjustments and dual-rate settings? Some people are...

- Method 1 - Keeping their dual-rate at 100% and only adjusting the EPA settings for a given track.
- Method 2 - Adjust the EPA settings for full steering without any suspension interference and then adjust the dual-rate setting for a given track. This is the method I use and usually have my dual rate set at about 65%. When I have needed to make a drastic change to the dual-rate setting from here, I have always found something else wrong with the car.

With either of the methods listed above, I see a lot of guys adjusting their radio settings so they can make a full turn circle at slow speed of about 1/2 a track lane width. I have tested it this way but usually adjust the dual-rate up or down based on the overall feel of the car after I have a few hot laps in.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm not Sean, the all mighy guru of 1/12.... but I can shed a little light on that.

When you use you use your endpoints and just adjust till there is no suspension binding then use dual rate... there is a possibility when you lower the dual rate that you will get uneven circles. Why? Because dual rate just reduces the total travel by a percentage. If yuou had uneven values for the servo travel on each side... you will end up with slightly uneven cirlces as it takes a percentage of those values. For example. Lets say:

Left EPA = 90
Right EPA = 80

90-80= 10 point difference from left to right to acheive even circle at maximum travel.

And... lets say we turn it down to 70% dual rate, so with a little math we can figure out 70% of the total travel in a given direction.

90 x .7 = 63 (70% of left)
80 x .7 = 56 (70% of right)

So 63-56= 7

Now we have a 7 point difference between left and right.... So as compared to the 10 point difference before, and that will throw off the perfectly even circles you might have setup.

So to prvent that, I'm always one to do it directly off the steering EPA (or Steering Balance on KO radios) and adjust each side individually to maintain the difference in endpoints.

BUT!!!!!..... If you setup is uber awesome... and your left to right endpoint adjustment happens to be the same to get full lock on both sides... then you can use the dual rates as the gap will stay constant... since there isnt any.

Hope that helps explain the differences a little bit.

-Korey
Old 12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you use a Futaba radio you can use your subtrim (not the trim btn by the wheel) to shift your center point so that your left/right full lock EPAs should match(~70 with a 9650 on a gen-x) and make the car go straight with 0 steering trim. If you follow this method you can use your dual rate to adjust travel without skewing your steering asymmetrical.

Mark
Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I haven't raced in what feels like a month, so I am reduced to rookie status. Excellent "electronic" explanation Korey. For a physical "do's & don'ts": try to mount your servo output perfectly centered in the chassis to avoid uneven length steering links (even though I have done this out of necessity). Set your radio to zero trim, zero subtrim, turn the system on, place the servo saver as close to center (straight up or down depending on the mount) as you can get. Use subtrim to get the saver as near vertically pefect as possible. If your links were indentical in length, the servo was pefectly centered on the saver, the saver is perfectly vertical.... you should be able to achieve equal epa's. Use "trim" only on the track for small adjustments. Why? Because if you do use a lot of trim and then need to used d/r just prior to a heat/main.... you will alter the simetry of your L/R circles.

I am loading up the dog sled for a little race in Minot, ND this weekend. I will be flying into Billings, MT meeting up with Scottrik (where the regionals will be held) and then driving over. This should be a pretty cool (oh, wrong words) event. The farming community has a large wharehouse with heated floors that shut down during the xmas holiday. The local club schedules this event, setting up a big track inside where it's t-shirt temps. Plus I need my fix of Paragon. There's some pretty fast guys out there, just like here. So it's going to be real tough race. Blue foam bumpers should be touching my doorstep any minute. I have turned into the self proclaimed 12th scale bumper king by moving roughly 800 bumpers in the past calendar month. Scarry! The production LRCS's for the t-bar drivers should be here the following week. Happy Holidays everyone!!!
bb
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
I haven't raced in what feels like a month, so I am reduced to rookie status. Excellent "electronic" explanation Korey. For a physical "do's & don'ts": try to mount your servo output perfectly centered in the chassis to avoid uneven length steering links (even though I have done this out of necessity). Set your radio to zero trim, zero subtrim, turn the system on, place the servo saver as close to center (straight up or down depending on the mount) as you can get. Use subtrim to get the saver as near vertically pefect as possible. If your links were indentical in length, the servo was pefectly centered on the saver, the saver is perfectly vertical.... you should be able to achieve equal epa's. Use "trim" only on the track for small adjustments. Why? Because if you do use a lot of trim and then need to used d/r just prior to a heat/main.... you will alter the simetry of your L/R circles.

I am loading up the dog sled for a little race in Minot, ND this weekend. I will be flying into Billings, MT meeting up with Scottrik (where the regionals will be held) and then driving over. This should be a pretty cool (oh, wrong words) event. The farming community has a large wharehouse with heated floors that shut down during the xmas holiday. The local club schedules this event, setting up a big track inside where it's t-shirt temps. Plus I need my fix of Paragon. There's some pretty fast guys out there, just like here. So it's going to be real tough race. Blue foam bumpers should be touching my doorstep any minute. I have turned into the self proclaimed 12th scale bumper king by moving roughly 800 bumpers in the past calendar month. Scarry! The production LRCS's for the t-bar drivers should be here the following week. Happy Holidays everyone!!!
bb
Have any red ones that will work on a sp12X???
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Have any red ones that will work on a sp12X???

Of course! Maybe you could get that shop of yours to stock some.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
For example. Lets say:

Left EPA = 90
Right EPA = 80

90-80= 10 point difference from left to right to acheive even circle at maximum travel.

And... lets say we turn it down to 70% dual rate, so with a little math we can figure out 70% of the total travel in a given direction.

90 x .7 = 63 (70% of left)
80 x .7 = 56 (70% of right)

So 63-56= 7

Hope that helps explain the differences a little bit.

-Korey

show off..

nobody told me i had to math.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Of course! Maybe you could get that shop of yours to stock some.
Thats what sucks about the customers in my shop... no one wants on road cars hahaha.

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.