Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Brownies Hobbies - Racing again in Staten Island, NY! >

Brownies Hobbies - Racing again in Staten Island, NY!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Brownies Hobbies - Racing again in Staten Island, NY!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AM03GT
are we still running VTA or has everyone converted to USGT?...

if I remember VTA is still one of our standard classes being run at the beach

Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

hey John I just thought of something.
will the euro semi be run at the beach?
can the body be run on the TT02 chassis?
I'm thinking of running the Euro semi because I have a TT-02 kit laying around waiting to be built.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I plan on running VTA. And I think USGT may be too fast for the beach. 17.5 is definitely too fast.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

USGT is 21.5 Jim. I think it will be a great beach class
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sohlman113
USGT is 21.5 Jim. I think it will be a great beach class
Given that its as fast as 17.5 from a couple of years ago was it might be a little bit to fast.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default 21.5

Originally Posted by Kregger
Given that its as fast as 17.5 from a couple of years ago was it might be a little bit to fast.
I wanna go fast !!!!!!!!
KA2AEV likes this.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Phin
Commandeer the Ocean Breeze Track on Father Cap. for some oval/velo pan car racing. Staten Island can become the new Lake Whippoorwill or RC Thunderdrome.
Could you imagine? That would be amazing.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phin
Commandeer the Ocean Breeze Track on Father Cap. for some oval/velo pan car racing. Staten Island can become the new Lake Whippoorwill or RC Thunderdrome.
That would be really cool, especially with the banked turns!!!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

VTA is dead. Many people who had VTA cars switched them to USGT to run the carpet tracks more consistently every week. Not so say some people don't still have one, but many people that used to do not right now. I haven't seen a VTA class race in probably a year or more at RCCW or Jackson and never at 360V2.

Golddust - For the price of the truck body and wheels, you might as well get the whole TT01 semi kit. Semi has taken off like crazy at RCCW. Justin and I will be there Sunday for TC and USGT.

I think the beach can handle USGT, but the problem with USGT at the beach is that it has become it's own top-level class. Many guys are running really good chassis' and delicate setups in these cars - just like 17.5 TC. Some guys (like me) have old chassis' with 21.5 motors and the correct Gravity tires and bodies. My USGT is my old TC3 VTA car, which runs great as a 21.5 USGT. Some guys have Awesomatix, XRay, and Destiny USGT's! They may not want to run those really good cars on our bumpy, chassis-scratching beach track. The classes running at the beach aren't being run anywhere. Mini is great at the beach, but I haven't seen it run anywhere except TCS.

Unfortunately, it's the same thing I always say here. In SI, we love Brownie's, and Brownie's loves Tamiya spec classes. These classes are awesome, but they aren't run anywhere except at the beach. 17.5 TC and USGT rule the racing scene at every track, and since most people don't run more than two classes in a day, new classes aren't expanding. If we had an SI track, we can run Porsche Cup TT02 every week if we wanted to - and people would invest in new cars for steadily run classes. VTA is probably the best car for the beach at this moment. Good speed, reliable chassis', and tires that can handle the pavement.

Hopefully if the beach schedule is released soon, people can start getting ready in advance, which would give beach classes some time to grow - and a reason to grow if there are enough races for people to feel like they justified the expense of a new car running only at the beach. Of course, I am speaking for myself here, but I can't imagine I'm the only one in this boat. I'm in for Mini for sure, but I really don't know what else to run at the beach right now. I'm not converting my USGT cars that run every week back into VTA cars. I also don't want to invest into building a new VTA car - although all I would need is a chassis and steering servo. For the beach, I'd love to see an out-of-the-box Vaterra class. Great looking, durable, plenty-fast, inexpensive, stock tires work, and (most importantly) this would be a great way to get new racers going.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Lord

VTA is not dead!

I don't care about other tracks. I care about Brownie's. I've always enjoyed John's lets lay back and have some fun atmosphere, and I've been racing at his tracks since Hooters.

There are 2 great tings about Mini at the Beach. First, the rules are pretty tight, and John won't let anything outside of TCS rules. And second, no one tries to push those rules. Everyone tries to have fun, not win at all cost.

Sorry Al, but TC3's/TC4's are never going to be competitive in USGT. The class is too fast. Our old AE cars are even beginning to lose their advantage in VTA. The faster the class gets, the further back our cars will go.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

I would have to say VTA is not dead but its struggling, however, every class has a bounce back chance. the new thing I noticed is the Euro Semi racing and I wonder if that's going to be a class at the beach. a lot of people caught onto it in the states so far. matter of fact, it is shocking.

and jiml as big chief would say in Street Outlaws "we only get faster through time"
Old 03-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ActionRC
The classes running at the beach aren't being run anywhere. Mini is great at the beach, but I haven't seen it run anywhere except TCS.
Sorry Al I have to disagree with you about Mini
That class is alive and thriving. If you ventured around like we do
you would find that is a BIG popular class at various tracks such as
180Raceway,Johns Mobile and even Jackson
as well as many others that we haven't gotten to yet!!!
Even the Novice TT01 and the dedicated TT02 Class is popular!!!

Instead of just limiting yourself and Justin to one track every week,
Try going to different tracks and see whats out there running!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
There are 2 great tings about Mini at the Beach. First, the rules are pretty tight, and John won't let anything outside of TCS rules. And second, no one tries to push those rules. Everyone tries to have fun, not win at all cost.
And this is one of the great things about being known as a Staten Islander who races with Brownies!!!
As we Golddust and myself went around to different tracks around the NE these past years, Our credibility was never questioned about our setups and
Golddust is known for his "driving skills" (yeah I know)

Last edited by KA2AEV; 03-04-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Staten Island Beach Racing

The Monaco of RC Racing
Old 03-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Johnn27
The Monaco of RC Racing
Without the billion dollar condos!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.