Search
Like Tree4Likes

Keep Tc3 or get Nt1??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Correct... Very simple install, but I have not really tested it on a prepped track. On the street, I see a better support for the rear of the body, and a bit more rear traction...
I also use the thickest gold swaybar in my ntc3 front and rear, with the blade swaybar at the stiffest settings in front, and 45 degrees in the rear... That stopped the heavy sway I use to have in the corners at the track, but I realized that I still needed alot of weight to come off the top of the chassis to really cure the problem, hence the lowered towers/shocks/body, etc...
I also cut my bodies enough to have them weigh about 85grams or less: no windows except the winshield with the refueling hole, light paint coat, thinnest nitro body available(0.7mm or less), etc...So far the SRS-N is the best I've tested, with matrix carbon tires 37F/40R on the street. I run tamiya shocks 40wt oil three hole pistons, 25% rebound....
The shock length become an issue in the front? A shorter shock looks like it could be needed.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
The shock length become an issue in the front? A shorter shock looks like it could be needed.
That was my first thought, but I was able to shorten my tamiya shocks by screwing the bottom shock ends all the way in enough for them to fit nicely, and I got about 2 to 3mm of droop dialed in without any spring preload with about 5mm rideheight f/r on 57mm tires.... I don't think the AE shocks will fit though, since their shock body is way longer than the tamiya's. The tc7.1 shocks might be needed if you don't already have another manufacturers short shock set that can fit....I had my shocks built around 57mm or so to fit properly...
Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
If you and I had the same driving skill, I bet I could blueprint a ntc3 to run very close and be somewhat competitive with factory associated parts.

A few hop ups, aside from putting more power to the ground without belts, I'd likely be pulling on a nt1 at a sticky track.
i dont doubt it would be formidable but without continuous support or parts it would only be temporary
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
That was my first thought, but I was able to shorten my tamiya shocks by screwing the bottom shock ends all the way in enough for them to fit nicely, and I got about 2 to 3mm of droop dialed in without any spring preload with about 5mm rideheight f/r on 57mm tires.... I don't think the AE shocks will fit though, since their shock body is way longer than the tamiya's. The tc7.1 shocks might be needed if you don't already have another manufacturers short shock set that can fit....I had my shocks built around 57mm or so to fit properly...
Makes sense. There are some good short shocks on the market. The Korean gmade brand is pretty Nice, just kind of large.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
i dont doubt it would be formidable but without continuous support or parts it would only be temporary
Support is grandfathered in. Parts are still plentiful. I have enough to keep my kids going just to give you am idea.

At the end of the day, I'd still run an nt1 without hesitation, especially the new one.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
I get alot of parts for free from racers all over that don't want to throw the parts in the trash when they know for sure I'll always be running a ntc3 with the standard clutch system. The only parts I don't use at all are the centax clutch parts I receive: I always have them with me to hand over to other ntc3 racers that use them, but nobody ever shows up to race with a tc3.... If they do show, they always get intimidated by the others and leave at once...Most have the RTR version with no upgrades at all: very disappointing....
I get the same types of free offers with my tc4: parts to last for three lifetimes... Way too much support, not enough folks willing to run the AE cars....
Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I don't have long history of RC so I can't tell about TC3 but I've seen 1 or 2. All I can say is that with that old car, it will be a lot of effort and time that you have to invest. I tried something similar when I started out RC a few years back with the Yokomo YR I had had for years from my uncle. I started buying bunch of parts here and there and it was not easy. I ended up putting the car in a drawer because it was just not realistic to keep trying to make that old car work. I probably ended up spending more than $400 just to put that away. Good learning experience but if somebody asks me, I wouldn't do it again.