R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

also u know how in pretty much every setup book ever written and u know how they have different sections like as in camber, toe, track width, roll center,droop, and much more can u tell me the section that shows rear wheel hiking or rear wheel lifting or something like that I mean surly there must be a section like that right??? please let me know or there must be a diagram of how its suppose to look no???? oh dam maybe all the books I ever seen were defective ok I got it now sorry I had the defective ones.... lol
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
ralphierace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can someone explain the effects of tire diameter splits?
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphierace13 View Post
also u know how in pretty much every setup book ever written and u know how they have different sections like as in camber, toe, track width, roll center,droop, and much more can u tell me the section that shows rear wheel hiking or rear wheel lifting or something like that I mean surly there must be a section like that right??? please let me know or there must be a diagram of how its suppose to look no???? oh dam maybe all the books I ever seen were defective ok I got it now sorry I had the defective ones.... lol
try this , Racing Basics - Paradigm Shift Driver Development copy and paste to search
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Wow.. I really cant make this stuff up if I tried. Ralphie, if ur perfect world has air conditioning in an 1/8th scale car, then ur right. The world might as well be flat... pun intended lol. I digress....
Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #50
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
Can someone explain the effects of tire diameter splits?

Sure. I will try to make it simple. Aside from the solid axle, the second biggest difference between an 1/8th scale and any other car is the front and rear drive train have different gear ratios. In other words, the front wheels are geared with different pulleys to spin at a slightly higher RPM than the rears. So in order to maintain the same final ratio where both front and rear wheels are traveling the same distances, the front tires have to be smaller than the rears. Typically, the difference in diameter or “split is 7mms) At this difference in diameter, or “split” the front and rear are covering the same distance. If the split is larger than 7mm, the result is overdrive and under drive if its less. The older Mugen Kits all came with an overdrive chart but not anymore for some reason. The effects of overdrive is simply the front tires wanting to travel further than the rears and is sometimes helpful on loose tracks where the front wheels can pull a car thru a turn and not really giving the rear a chance to break the car loose. Hope that helps.
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 AM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 1 View Post
try this , Racing Basics - Paradigm Shift Driver Development copy and paste to search
Since when did a rc car come with no suspension?? Carts have no suspension they need it to life because that there roll we don't have to do that with suspension, next time show me a real car that has to do that.
I tell u what since I have tested everything in the world make yours not come up and u let me know.

also look at your car after a quail or a main once the tires get seated meaning the camber sets in and I suspect your rear camber is a min of 2-1/2 so once they seat neither side will ever lift so my point is y make it life in the beginning just make it right from the start.

Last edited by ralphierace13; 07-17-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #52
Tech Master

hey I'm not trying to show off but take a look at the race result pics notice my name and what position I'm in most of the time and one pic u will see a result with 2 names Desoto jr and chris tossolini and if u know anything about on road nitro racing here in the usa those 2 names are among the fastest in the usa so my point is if u think my theory on not having the rear wheels lifting is coming from someone who don't know what they are talking about I would think again
Attached Thumbnails
1/8 onroad setup help-fb_img_1500293058124%5B1507%5D.jpg   1/8 onroad setup help-fb_img_1500293231547%5B1506%5D.jpg   1/8 onroad setup help-fb_img_1500293377266%5B1505%5D.jpg   1/8 onroad setup help-fb_img_1500293456781%5B1504%5D.jpg  
Byron Fuel, Veytrex Desgin Labs
2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 CHAMPION!!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Quote:
Since when did a rc car come with no suspension?? Carts have no suspension they need it to life because that there roll we don't have to do that with suspension, next time show me a real car that has to do that.
I tell u what since I have tested everything in the world make yours not come up and u let me know.

also look at your car after a quail or a main once the tires get seated meaning the camber sets in and I suspect your rear camber is a min of 2-1/2 so once they seat neither side will ever lift so my point is y make it life in the beginning just make it right from the start.
the cart frame is the suspension , i would suspect that if you are as fast as you think you are then your car is unloading the inside rear tire and as was pointed out (real cars) have diffs
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 1 View Post
the cart frame is the suspension , i would suspect that if you are as fast as you think you are then your car is unloading the inside rear tire and as was pointed out (real cars) have diffs
that's my point the cart is the suspension but not on rc cars so we don't have to have the it up on three wheels. You keep bringing up a diff just because we don't have a diff does not mean we need to have it on 3 wheels, yes some of the opposite side inside of the wheel comes up alittle but would u rather have just 20% of the tire not making contact or 100% not making contact. Ok I'm done with this convo all I can say is try it u got nothing to loose and see the difference for your self thanks guys. Oh and claim to be as fast as I think I am ah thats a big statement without any results let's see your race sheets!!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #55
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Here a pic of the fastest guy in Holland, also shot by me.

Here you can clearly see the inner wheel is still touching the ground in a very tight middle speed corner but see how much (or better said: less) it is touching the ground. I am pretty sure with Ralph this is the same because our cars are designed to do this. When running the cars it is very difficult to notice this, even when you want to see this happen you can not see it clearly.

Only on photos and slowmotion movies you can see this.
Attached Thumbnails
1/8 onroad setup help-image27.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Here a pic of the fastest guy in Holland, also shot by me.

Here you can clearly see the inner wheel is still touching the ground in a very tight middle speed corner but see how much (or better said: less) it is touching the ground. I am pretty sure with Ralph this is the same because our cars are designed to do this. When running the cars it is very difficult to notice this, even when you want to see this happen you can not see it clearly.

Only on photos and slowmotion movies you can see this.
I agree totally very hard to see u can only go by how it feels and my lap times..
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I agree totally very hard to see u can only go by how it feels and my lap times..
Hey may I know how many degrees of steering angle do you run on your car normally and what length servo horn do you run? Just trying to determine what steering angles are too extreme?

Thx

dixon
BD1541 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
well I have a custom made rear bar its 3.5 the thicker the better keep the rear wheels planted, but what ever mugen offers as far as the thickest bar use it!! I always use grey springs all around and 600 weight oil all around and 35 shore tires all around I never us 32/35 or 35/37 always use same shore if u need more bite in front try using a lighter oil or 2 hole piston before using 32/35
Ralph forgot to ask you if you run full shock rebound on your shocks.? Reason I ask is that our grip level is low here.

Dixon
BD1541 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #59
Tech Adept

wow didnt mean to start a argument but makes some good reading

one thing i have learnt over the years is there are 2 things that make a car
handle how it does one is setup the other is driver input. maybe why so many
diffrent veiws on this but please keep this thread going always things to learn.
rick oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
that's my point the cart is the suspension but not on rc cars so we don't have to have the it up on three wheels. You keep bringing up a diff just because we don't have a diff does not mean we need to have it on 3 wheels, yes some of the opposite side inside of the wheel comes up alittle but would u rather have just 20% of the tire not making contact or 100% not making contact. Ok I'm done with this convo all I can say is try it u got nothing to loose and see the difference for your self thanks guys. Oh and claim to be as fast as I think I am ah thats a big statement without any results let's see your race sheets!!
you very well may be fast at your track , that how ever does not mean you are the final word on set up , as for results i have never been in the habit of saving pics of qaulys as my self worth has not been tied to that, that being said ,i am fast enough btw i think 2 post down you agree with the inside unloading?
now weather this needs to happen on every corner i cant say only that it does happen and when properly set up a car will be faster all things being equal