Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Major Handling Problem >

Major Handling Problem

Major Handling Problem

Old 01-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Unhappy Major Handling Problem

Can anyone provide a list of reasons why my car continues to flip over on corners? I have adjusted camber, ride height, foam tires shocks and springs to an extent.

This is one of my 4-Tec's. I have ordered the pro ball diffs. Do you think the standard rear diff could be a cause?

I am presently running FW05-R Shock & Springs on it. Someone suggested that I should put the softer springs at the rear.

Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check ur ride height shouldn't be more than 5mm
Old 01-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Suspended

aside from your ride height, if you are running foams and they are uncut, that will cause it..

you can also play with swaybars and shock fluid to help the situation.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Ride height, tire shore, suspension and sometimes track width (front is too narrow than rear)
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V1-RRR-WC
Can anyone provide a list of reasons why my car continues to flip over on corners? I have adjusted camber, ride height, foam tires shocks and springs to an extent.

This is one of my 4-Tec's. I have ordered the pro ball diffs. Do you think the standard rear diff could be a cause?

I am presently running FW05-R Shock & Springs on it. Someone suggested that I should put the softer springs at the rear.

Any suggestions on where to look?
Looks like you're having traction-roll! You could lay-down the rear shocks, although laying down the shocks could mean give more traction in another way, but it made the transition/movement of shocks more linear and smoother, it solves my traction roll problem. On springs wise, I would try harder spring on track with good traction to counter the traction roll problem, this really depends on the track condition. Harder rear tire shore is another change I would try. Let us know on the results.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It is very hard to accept the truth, but this almost always fixed the problem.......you must TRUE your brand new foam tires down to 59mm or even 58mm....(at some track, I even use my practice foams for main cause they are small) Yes, tough to true off a brand new foams, but that is the reason why you are traction roll....(if your track have tons of traction...)

You may also CA the side wall of the tires too..........and of course, all of the above listed from the others can cause traction roll.........
Old 01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tommi
Looks like you're having traction-roll! You could lay-down the rear shocks, although laying down the shocks could mean give more traction in another way, but it made the transition/movement of shocks more linear and smoother, it solves my traction roll problem. On springs wise, I would try harder spring on track with good traction to counter the traction roll problem, this really depends on the track condition. Harder rear tire shore is another change I would try. Let us know on the results.
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. But, it's a 4-Tec, there are only two shock positions.

Here's what I will try for races tomrrow and let me what you all think:

Ride Height: 5mm

Kyosho Gold Springs in Front / Black in Rear

CA Glue side Walls as suggested

Left Side camber - 2.5

Right side Camber - 1.5

2mm Wheel spacers in Front

I do not have a tire lathe, so I will need to find so worn down tires to meet the 58mm dia.

What do you think?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Try running harder springs all around. That will make the tires have less grip, thus controlling the traction rolls. Too much traction is a bad thing in some cases.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

I really like the idea Rookie Solara gave of putting CA on the side walls. I have gone through 3 sets of rear foams in no time at all due to "chunking".

So, with a solid side wall it slides off the edge, but still provides grip on the surface. I like it!

As mentioned, I have placed the harder gold springs in front and extended the wheel track to 2mm on each side.

I have also gotten 59mm foams to put on. So, with all of this, I am hoping I solve the problem.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. You guys are a really cool group.

I will let you know how it goes after races tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There's another thing I forgot to mention, which is the caster angle, but I'm not sure if the 4 Tec offers this adjustabilility? Anyway, a more laid back caster angle will definitely help (the arms pushed backwards); most of a time with a stood up caster angle, the steering will pivots itself in a way that will cause the car to snap around and roll over. Good luck in your race tmrw, hope you're able to tame that problem.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Front :

Track width 200mm

Left Side camber - 3.0 deg

Right side Camber - 2.5 deg

Tire diameter 59mm - 60mm - 61mm ( depends what you like )

Rear :

Track width 199mm

Left Side camber - 4.0 deg

Right side Camber - 3.5 deg

Tire Diameter 63mm - 64mm ( depends what you like )

Ride Height: 6mm

BTW, You really need to shave the tires, especially front tires.

Harder springs do not guarantee less traction roll, infact it change the feeling of the car handling.... usually become too responsive ( nervous feeling ) and you feel stressful driving it.

Is it possible to lengthen upper link ? Create more angle ( steeper angle ) ?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Where are you running the car? If your running it in the streets , they do tend to grab the bumpy asphalt on turns and flip.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by asw7576
Front :

Track width 200mm

Left Side camber - 3.0 deg

Right side Camber - 2.5 deg

Tire diameter 59mm - 60mm - 61mm ( depends what you like )

Rear :

Track width 199mm

Left Side camber - 4.0 deg

Right side Camber - 3.5 deg

Tire Diameter 63mm - 64mm ( depends what you like )

Ride Height: 6mm

BTW, You really need to shave the tires, especially front tires.

Harder springs do not guarantee less traction roll, infact it change the feeling of the car handling.... usually become too responsive ( nervous feeling ) and you feel stressful driving it.

Is it possible to lengthen upper link ? Create more angle ( steeper angle ) ?

Hey Guys,

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I have actually printed out the thread so far. Now, as regards the wheel track, the 4-Tec is only 190mm with no way to extend it. So with the 2mm spacers on each end in front I am at 194mm for the front and 190mm for the rear.

But, I will try to follow your specs for ride height & camber.

Exactly what do you mean about "lengthen upper link"?

Looking forward to your reply.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Upper link = upper suspension arm where you set the camber.

Don't go with 194mm front, 190mm rear, ...... I think it's too extreme.

192mm front
190mm rear

Shave the tires, ok .

Good luck !!

I see in your signature you have Kyosho RRR WC and FW05, how are they doing ? What about compare to 4 Tec ?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Reduce the droop in the front end and less up travel on the front arms. Try harder shore tires in the front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.