Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 705 centax question. >

Serpent 705 centax question.

Serpent 705 centax question.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Serpent 705 centax question.

Newb here.

I have an old Serpent 705 (laughs, I know.) Anyway, I was needing to buy a whole new clutch set and the centax-3 clutch set can be had for cheaper than the centax-2 clutch set. So my question is: are they interchangeable? Can I put the centax-3 on my Serpent 705? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think so because of the different pitch of the gears
Old 01-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

yes you can but you have to use the centax 3 clutch the whole set up. and you "HAVE" to use the gear for the centax 3 on the two speed
Old 01-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by sstupid
Newb here.

I have an old Serpent 705 (laughs, I know.) Anyway, I was needing to buy a whole new clutch set and the centax-3 clutch set can be had for cheaper than the centax-2 clutch set. So my question is: are they interchangeable? Can I put the centax-3 on my Serpent 705? Thanks.
If I was I would go with the newest clutch set up in the RC market which is UFO I've nothing but good things about it, ask around and see what people are saying about UFO.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

stick to the serpent clutch. Only the tm team members have tested the ufo clutch. There is nothing wrong with the serpent clutch
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captian
yes you can but you have to use the centax 3 clutch the whole set up. and you "HAVE" to use the gear for the centax 3 on the two speed
I don't think so.......the whole things won't fit on 705 gear box.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sstupid
Newb here.

705 is nothing to laugh, it is still a good car to race LOCAL or even national, just may not come with all the latest technology (roll center) and low CG like the current model....but it is still FAR beyond then those HPI or OFNA.

Just get the Centax 2 clutch system, it is a lot better and easier then the CENTAX 1, thats why all the bigger cars from Serpent (like 835, 950, 950R and current 960) are still using this 4 years old clutch system and gear box...

For your infomration, 710 used 0.8 module and their clutch to gears design is only used for 710 only...it will not FIT 705 even though you buy the whole centax 3 plus the 710 2-speed gear box with shafts...beside, they are running close to $200 for new, WHY BOTHER..?

P.S...Paolo, I know you are reading this now...share some input?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
705 is nothing to laugh, it is still a good car to race LOCAL or even national, just may not come with all the latest technology (roll center) and low CG like the current model....but it is still FAR beyond then those HPI or OFNA.

Just get the Centax 2 clutch system, it is a lot better and easier then the CENTAX 1, thats why all the bigger cars from Serpent (like 835, 950, 950R and current 960) are still using this 4 years old clutch system and gear box...

For your infomration, 710 used 0.8 module and their clutch to gears design is only used for 710 only...it will not FIT 705 even though you buy the whole centax 3 plus the 710 2-speed gear box with shafts...beside, they are running close to $200 for new, WHY BOTHER..?

not to start any thing but you are stupid to say that . if you read my post close it tell you what to do . i have both cars so i know what works . but i will say it in turms you can understand. if he gets the centax 3 complete clutch set up and buys the 2 speed gears to put on his 2 speed 0.8 gears it will work. and far as price you are off on that two try like $75. FOR TWO GEARS AND THE CLUTCH SET UP CENTAX 3
Old 01-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Adding a Centax III Clutch to your 705 is a lot of work and not as easy as it sounds.

1)The .8 spur gears that are necessary to match this clutch are smaller in diameter than the 705 spurs. The .8 pinions are smaller in diameter as well. You would need to elongate the engine mount holes in the chassis to get a proper gear mesh.

2)The flywheel for this Centax 3 is 33mm in diameter so you will also need the engine mounts from the 710 so your starter wheel will reach.

3) Since the 2 speed shaft sits much higher in the 705 your side belt is going to rub the exhaust manifold because now the engine is sitting lower in the chassis with the 710 engine mounts.

The Centax II is a direct fit and will work just fine with your car.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Solara,

Nothing to add, all you said is true.

I will stick with the Centax2. we are using this in the 950R and 960. So plenty of spares, easy to use, reliable... At the end will be cheaper and a lot easy than change to another clutch system

Have fun guys

Paolo
Old 01-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by captian
not to start any thing but you are stupid to say that . if you read my post close it tell you what to do . i have both cars so i know what works . but i will say it in turms you can understand. if he gets the centax 3 complete clutch set up and buys the 2 speed gears to put on his 2 speed 0.8 gears it will work. and far as price you are off on that two try like $75. FOR TWO GEARS AND THE CLUTCH SET UP CENTAX 3
1st.... I don't want to call you STUPID, because I respect you just want to share your opinion.....but ONLY if your opinion is "CLOSE" to correct or is 100% correct.....but still, it is not right to name ppl STUPID....

2nd, you own both car, does not mean you KNOWS them all....for your information, the only Serpent that I have never own is the current 960 or the Serpent that is prior then 1999....so, I think I know "SOME" Serpent...not all, but some...

3rd, please read what Doug M said above...that is EXACTLY the reason why 710 gear box does not work on 705....when centax 3 and 0.8 gear released...the first thing I did was look at the whole thing and TRY to transfer them onto my 835...and releaized that the whole spur from 710 are a lot smaller because the distance between the engine postiion and the gear box placement on 710 are much CLOSER and LOWER.........that made the whole transplane undo-able.....not unless you have to customized the whole chassis, not to mention, the exhaust location along with the side belt and pulleys.

Modifcation is FUN...but what SSSTUPID was asking is just a simple question.....and the answer is "NO".....not IMPOSSIBLE, but not a modificaiton for a newbie like himself, that he was stated from his message.

About the cost...yes, $200 is high...but a little, but if you do read carefully, I was referring to the WHOLE 2-speed gear box package for 710.....along with the WHOLE centax 3 clutch with flywheel.....along with the Centax 3 used (710) 2-speed shaft....try to add those together....it should be around $180.

At the end, I might be wrong about the whole transplant.....because if you really did that before...take some pictures and post it here about your 705 or Impulse (if work on 705, it will work on virtually ANY older version of Serpent including the 835, Impact M2s).....I am really looking forward to see how you do that on 705 cause I want to do this mod in my 835....or may be my 705 cause I still want to race that classic once in a while.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said, Rookie
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

1st.... I don't want to call you STUPID, because I respect you just want to share your opinion.....but ONLY if your opinion is "CLOSE" to correct or is 100% correct.....but still, it is not right to name ppl STUPID....

2nd, you own both car, does not mean you KNOWS them all....for your information, the only Serpent that I have never own is the current 960 or the Serpent that is prior then 1999....so, I think I know "SOME" Serpent...not all, but some...

3rd, please read what Doug M said above...that is EXACTLY the reason why 710 gear box does not work on 705....when centax 3 and 0.8 gear released...the first thing I did was look at the whole thing and TRY to transfer them onto my 835...and releaized that the whole spur from 710 are a lot smaller because the distance between the engine postiion and the gear box placement on 710 are much CLOSER and LOWER.........that made the whole transplane undo-able.....not unless you have to customized the whole chassis, not to mention, the exhaust location along with the side belt and pulleys.

Modifcation is FUN...but what SSSTUPID was asking is just a simple question.....and the answer is "NO".....not IMPOSSIBLE, but not a modificaiton for a newbie like himself, that he was stated from his message.

About the cost...yes, $200 is high...but a little, but if you do read carefully, I was referring to the WHOLE 2-speed gear box package for 710.....along with the WHOLE centax 3 clutch with flywheel.....along with the Centax 3 used (710) 2-speed shaft....try to add those together....it should be around $180.

At the end, I might be wrong about the whole transplant.....because if you really did that before...take some pictures and post it here about your 705 or Impulse (if work on 705, it will work on virtually ANY older version of Serpent including the 835, Impact M2s).....I am really looking forward to see how you do that on 705 cause I want to do this mod in my 835....or may be my 705 cause I still want to race that classic once in a while.
well i guess i misunderstand you with some thingsin your post but if you do some looking you will find that the 960 /835/710/705 all share the same gear box just on the 710 it is useing the 0.8 gears . the gears are the differrance in the 710. as far as the shaft there no need to change it on the 705 . the impact uses the old vector gear box. and yes its some work to put it in the car like cut the mounts 1mm and useing the veteq belt tensioner mount location(not the o2 location) and opening the flywheel hole . as far as the 835 that why serpent came out with a kit to upgrade the older impact car to the 835. and you are right about him being a newbie. so i guess we was both wrong on somethings so let start over
Old 01-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Cool.....all good here.

960/950R/835/710/705 alre all look the same, and yes, some are sharing some same parts, but the KEY is the BULKHEAD, that makes the 705 is impossible to use 710 0.8 gears even though it change the 705 gears to 710 0.8 gears.....if I do what you said, change the 710 gears on the 705 gears box, mount my engine with centax 3 clutch with 705 engine block (710 engine blocks opening are not the same as 705's block and chassis openings) the only thing I will see is...my pinion will never reach the spur...by a HUGH margin. And instead of cutting the engien mount by 1mm, actually, you have to RAISE the engine up high enough (more then 2 or 3mm at least) in order to reach the spur.....THEN, good luck finding a SUPER big flywheel that will fit the chassis and still be able to work with the C3. Or...mill a new chassis with the special 4 engine mounting holes location and PUSH the engine position closer to the 2-speed (instead of raising the engine).......but then you will hit the spacing problem then the pulleys and belts problem.......

A used 710 with C3 (nice condition) are aroudn $200-250, isn't that easier..?

And about the shaft...yes, using 705 one is a must, and I am sure mounting the 0.8 gears on the 705 gearbox is just a direct replacment, but again, the centax will not reach the spur because the 705 bulkhead is a lot taller then 710's.

And about IMPACT M2 vs 835....bulkhead location is exactly the same EXCEPT 835 has the side chassis stiffener for the both carbon fiber...the 2-speed gear box shaft location are exactly the same, CENTAX 1 and 2 are the same animal except C2 is a little more updated with the bigger bearing and better SHIM adjustment then the C1....and LW gear boxs is exactly the same footprint as the originial one except some upgraded/updated parts and gears...thats why C1/C2 or the LW/2-speed can be used on almost ANY serpent right now....EXCEPT 710........

You have some good thought about using some VETEQ V1 parts....however, there is NO WAY I will invested that much time and effort on something that is very good already, C2 and the LW gear box is still the best fit for 705...if he want C3....he should get S710, another long lasting and winning RC car...

Hope to see some hard fight between the MTX4 and RRR at the upcoming WinterNational....

Thanks for sharing....

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 01-21-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Didn't mean to start drama.

I guess I'll be sticking with the centax-2, expensive sumbitch that it is.

Thanks for the help though, guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.