Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What is the best way to setup a 1/8 on road? >

What is the best way to setup a 1/8 on road?

What is the best way to setup a 1/8 on road?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What is the best way to setup a 1/8 on road?

I just bought a PRP xr-8 and am almost finished building it. This is not my first kit ive built, but its my first 1/8 scale. So, know im going to have to figure out how i am going to set it up. Does anybody have any tips, tricks, or recomendations. i dont really wanna spend 120 bucks on a hudy setup that i will use only once. i dont race the car, i just have it for fun. So, all i really need is like an all around good tune. I seen a cheap setup station on ebay, but im not sure if it is any good.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

If you just playing around just get and rpm camber gauge there like $10 or pb makes a set-up system just like the hudy for like 30 or so on ebay
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

I never had experience with 1/8th but the looks of how fast they go i would be putting as much handling as possible on it.

Have fun with it.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:37 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Read this VERY complete explanation from the Serpent 960 (I know, there are a lot more settings then on your car, just forget about them)

http://www.mytsn.com/products/dnlfil...okletWeb%2Epdf

There is also a lot of usefull information in there about car handling in general....
(only serpent is the company that will give you this information, maybe because the rest doesn't know?.... )
Old 01-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

link does not work.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

About the setup station you saw on EBAY....I am sure they are not $120....they are more like $60 shipped. those are just as good as the one from HUDY...........but of course, HUDY has the best quality in the market, and their latest setup station even come with a 007 briefcase, that really make your car has the extra 5 HP...LOL

Invest that $60 and get the setup station....it is worth it, cause then you can follow the XR8 setup sheets from other racers and get the exact setup like them, no more guessing....

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 01-20-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Hi

I have an XR-8 and it gets its first outing this sunday. I will let you know how it goes.

For handeling i change a few things. Firstly the shocks are miles too stiff. I drilled out the shock piston holes to 1.5m and changed the oil to 35 wt

Next take off the rear roll bar, you dont need it. Lay the front roll bar flat

Shorten the wheel base as short as possible.

Toe in at the back 3 deg and 2 deg camber front and back. That should do it!

Let me know how you find it

Cheers
Old 01-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/8 setup

If at all possible, try to get (buy or borrow) a setup set... Hudy is best (new or used), but others are available. At the very least, get a downstop adjustment set (blocks & gauge), ride height gauge, and a camber gauge.

Downstops, camber, and ride height are among the most important settings for an RC car... 1/8 included.

Go to the Serpent 960 product page on myTSN, go to "Downloads" section, and get the S960 Setup Book. It is invaluable, and gives good information for most RC onroad nitro cars.

Hope this helps...