Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Servo torque requirements for onroad >

Servo torque requirements for onroad

Servo torque requirements for onroad

Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Servo torque requirements for onroad

I just ripped the servos out of my buggy to put in my 1/10th scale sedan and it occured to me that mabye these servos will be over kill. Plus, they have a year of abuse on them and i hate them anyways because they are SLOW! I have some JR z590's laying around and was wondering if 85 oz/in is enough for steering an MTX-3. What do you guys think? I hate to cheap out in this area for the nats, but ive got a few of these things and the less i have to buy, the better!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Any servo with 8kg of torque is enough to run on road. Prefereably with speed less than 0.16 sec / 60 degree.

Check JR website for Z590 data sheet.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Don't worry about being cheap! Personally, I hate twitchy onroaders, so my XXXS has a 590M in it. However, my XXXT has a KO 2143, which is .08 or so. I think that for me, the desensitized feel is best, cuz I get kinda jumpy during a TC race, and they react really quick.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Looking at all nitro cars you will find servos around 8Kg of torque and depending the personal prefs, quicker or slower, but all around 0.12 sec/60º.

For many years I only used Futaba servos 9450, 9451 for the steering and 9304 & 9550 for the throttle (this last is a little lighter, so you can shave some precious grams on your car if you're a weight freak).

Some of my 9450 units have a little more than 5 years old and they work like the first day. Only one needed repair a and sits on the toolbox as backup.

Regarding of being cheap on the servos I think is a no-no, invest on good electronics (don't know your JR Servos, but on the past, never liked JR/Graupner electronics).