Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Trimming Crankshaft??? >

Trimming Crankshaft???

Trimming Crankshaft???

Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Trimming Crankshaft???

I just recent setup a RB in my Trinity Reflex, but theres too much play in the clutchbell refering to the manual it says to cut the crankshaft!!!! Guys whats involved here? I dont want to do this dodgey as i don't have the money to buy a new crankshaft period... Should i find out if someone can do it with a lathe or something? i only have to take off a couple mm.

Cheers,
hav
Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Cutting a crankshaft????

Last time I've heard this was.... TOO MUCH time. We're talking of about 18 -20 years ago.

What kind of manufacturer instructs you to cut a crankshaft? are you sure of this? A crankhaft is hardneded and is difficult to cut and very easy to ruin if don't have a steady hand for doing it. N-Check this, mock up the clutch to see if is really needed. Do whatever you need for not cutting the crank or this engine will be ruined and could not be used on other cars.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I assume you are using a standard threaded crank not the pilot or SG crank?

That is the only time I have ever had to cut a crank, and it is because you would have a standard threaded crank instead of a short threaded crank and the clutch nut would not snug up to the fly wheel.

Cutting a crank is not that difficult. All you need is the following.

Dremel with a good cutting disk.
Baggy to seal the engine from metal shavings.
And knowing how much to cut off the crank.

The only way you can mess this up is if you cut to much away and then you dont have enough threads secure the clutch nut on. Once you cut the crankshaft, you typically have created an engine that is specific to that car, because it most likely will not work with another chasis.

Doug
Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Its an SG shaft, but the problem was resolved, someone swappping me for a newer threaded crankshaft.

The problem was when i stalled the clutch it moved backwards and forwards... I still can't believe they said in the manual to cut the crankshaft !@#$# theyre dodgey....
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hav_lova
Its an SG shaft, but the problem was resolved, someone swappping me for a newer threaded crankshaft.

The problem was when i stalled the clutch it moved backwards and forwards... I still can't believe they said in the manual to cut the crankshaft !@#$# theyre dodgey....
therse nothing wrong with cutting that part of the crank shaft, and it isnt even hard. most engines that you buy from a box to put in your car like OS you have to cut the shafts. all you need is a dremel a cutting disc for it and WD40. takes about a minute, its super simple nothing bad about it, like he said only way to ruin it is to cut to much off so you cant put the clutch on there. now days though they are making more engine that just drop in, its been a little while since ive seen one you actually have to cut now.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SSmoked
therse nothing wrong with cutting that part of the crank shaft, and it isnt even hard. most engines that you buy from a box to put in your car like OS you have to cut the shafts. all you need is a dremel a cutting disc for it and WD40. takes about a minute, its super simple nothing bad about it, like he said only way to ruin it is to cut to much off so you cant put the clutch on there. now days though they are making more engine that just drop in, its been a little while since ive seen one you actually have to cut now.

I'm not an idiot lol i'd rather not cut it though as theres the dodgey aussie factor when i cut things. I'd rather not cut it. and i don't have to now