Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Have some rookie questions? >

Have some rookie questions?

Have some rookie questions?

Old 11-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Have some rookie questions?

I have a RSR4 RTR3 nitro car. I am new to the sport. and have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them i would be grateful. The first one is there some kind of warm up period that i need to do before running my car. it seems to run real sluggish if i do not let it run for a minute. before running it. and second what kind of bottom end should this thing have. it was not really what i expected on the bottom end. what kind of tune has anyone run with one of these kind of cars that has good luck with. thank you
Old 11-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Too detailed to give here. Buy a tuning guide at your local hobby shop. good luck
Old 11-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default RS4 RTR3

I don't believe HPI has ever produced any kind of "tuning guide" for their cars, except the instructions that come with the kits.

The 15FE as it comes stock, is a pig. The single needle carb really holds it back. You can buy one of the HPI hop-up kits for the motor (on their website) or just live with it until it's time to buy another motor.
It takes a minute or so to warm up from stone cold.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

i haven't met an engine that didn't run better 1 minute after starting up then at 45 seconds after starting up. All engines work best (when tuned close or at optimum) about 2-3 minutes after starting. That is why we take warm up laps b4 our race; let everyone settle down, and let the engines warm up. True some engines seem to run quite well just when starting up, but not all the assorted metal parts of an engine heat to normal operating temperatures at the same times let alone in less then a minute.

But I do agree that rather than trying to make it better, just run it into the ground as is. And its bottom end is very...bad.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Have some rookie questions?

Originally posted by NOS331GT
I have a RSR4 RTR3 nitro car. I am new to the sport. and have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them i would be grateful. The first one is there some kind of warm up period that i need to do before running my car. it seems to run real sluggish if i do not let it run for a minute. before running it. and second what kind of bottom end should this thing have. it was not really what i expected on the bottom end. what kind of tune has anyone run with one of these kind of cars that has good luck with. thank you
Since you are using the stock 15FE engine, try gearing down if you need more acceleration.