Wiki Posts
Search

fix bent rims & chunked tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default fix bent rims & chunked tires

I've been saving some bent rims and chunked tires for a while, hoping to come up with a way to salvage them. I went to a glass blowing show and was watching and it hit me to try something.

When I got home, I took the tire truer out and got my map gas for my torche. I put a bent rim on the tire truer, turned it on and lightly hit it with the heat from the torche. The rim, started to "fix" itself, but with a little help, I was able to save 21 front tires. They may show a little "discoloration" from the heat and dirt that I burnt into the rim, but they are smooth and round again.

Then I had some chunked tires. Nothing new for us, but don't you hate it when you chunk a tire when its new. Not a problem anymore. I found a tire cement #902 from TRC. cutting a squar chunk from the tire and one from a donar tire with the same shore foam, I globbed on the glue to oriinal tire and placed the donor piece and put a rubber band around it to hold. after about 30min, I took the rubber band off and trued the tire down smooth. With this cement, there is no hard ridge like when using CA. I even chunked these tires again and where the new chunk came from, it tore into the patched area, but didn't take the patch out.
I was able to salvage a total of 27 tires in about an hour.

(I could just learn to drive better and not hit things,
and save the Hour)

Last edited by rcfoolz; 12-14-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the suggestions. Reduce/reuse/recycle also means savings in $$$. One may also buy new donut rubber too by remounting to old rims. This is a good time of year to be getting ready for next year.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

rcfoolz,

I sent you a pm.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i use selleys (bostik is also good) contact adhesive to glue chunks back in, it works really good. When you get your tyres out of the box do you CA the sidewalls of the tyre? i CA mine and aslong as theres glue on the edge i dont chunk tyres
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Very good idea about fixing bent rim and chunk tires....for chunk tires, I use CA and dremel sanding drum to sand it off....take a little bit more time then using a tire truer...but sanding drum can sand off the extra foam very nicely.

The way I fix my bent rim.....easy, return them to the tire mfr....I did that on JACO and GQ....they replace me the new tires. including CRACK rims, these 2 tires MFR are very confidence about their rim construction and they will fully support their products....of course, those rims that I am returning are usually very NEW rims....they are defect rims, if you have some rims that are cracked and bent with barely any foams left...forget it, that is not under warranty.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I have never tried to straighten wheels, but I do repair my chunked foam wheels. I race a 1/10 scale Custom Works GSX nitro sprint car on a oval dirt track. With the speeds we are traveling, minor contact with another car results in some dandy chunks in your tires. I take my tire truer and mount a tire that is chunked. I then cut the bad section off ( a complete ring ) and remove it from the wheel. I remove a similar section from another chunked tire and glue it back on to the first wheel. You end up with a multi-ringed tire similar to some of the high end tire manufacturers. Contact cement works good for this. I also have a larger Out Front Frames sprint car that I build rear tires for. I use 1/8 scale on-road foam donuts and wheels. The foam is always about 3/4 inch wider than the wheels, so when I trim off the extra width, I save it to make repairs with later on. A tire truer is the best piece of RC equipment that I have ever purchased.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz

When I got home, I took the tire truer out and got my map gas for my torche. I put a bent rim on the tire truer, turned it on and lightly hit it with the heat from the torche. The rim, started to "fix" itself, but with a little help, I was able to save 21 front tires. They may show a little "discoloration" from the heat and dirt that I burnt into the rim, but they are smooth and round again.
Got to try this out