Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
advice on another nitro kit >

advice on another nitro kit

advice on another nitro kit

Old 11-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default advice on another nitro kit

Whats up guys.I currently have a RS4 3 SS and i enjoy it so far,the question is i am looking for another nitro to pick up.I currently like the traxxas nito 4 tec pro but cant find any info on it.If anyone could let me know if they have this model or recommend another please let me know.Thank You
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

newer pro madels are more consistent. Also they're parts are more sturdy than the parts that the Traxxas is equipped with. Also, parts availability is sparse. The Traxxas pro is about as good as your car is, in reality.
Also, what do you intend to do with this new car? Race, or play in the parking lot.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: advice on another nitro kit

Originally posted by Emperator1025
Whats up guys.I currently have a RS4 3 SS and i enjoy it so far,the question is i am looking for another nitro to pick up.I currently like the traxxas nito 4 tec pro but cant find any info on it.If anyone could let me know if they have this model or recommend another please let me know.Thank You
Definitely I can give advice on my own nitro touring: Associated NTC3, for many time we heard horror stories about flameouts and tank problems, but I have one 'old style' tank and no problems with it and more than 200 tanks over it.

If you decide for the NTC3, my best advice is to bypass the RTR version and go straight for the standard kit (Side Exhaust or Rear Exhaust, at your choose).
Old 11-04-2002, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have a fully loaded RB turbo HPI SS......AND 2 tc3 RB nitro's.....

the SS is not even close to the tc'3s in speed,balance,ease of driving and raceworthiness.....any other questions..
Old 11-04-2002, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys.So,should I get the traxxas nitro 4 tec pro or the nitro Tc3.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Stick with NTC3...

Originally posted by Emperator1025
Thanks guys.So,should I get the traxxas nitro 4 tec pro or the nitro Tc3.
The same as the past question. Stick with the NTC3... Despite much people is the best car you can get (in fact is the winner of the 'Worlds', despite of what think some people).
Old 11-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up GO WITH YOKOMO!

In my opinion you should go with the YOKOMO GT-4 RTR or PRO. I bought my yok, with a futuba radio, ram air intake, and S3 proline slicks, went to a nearby track and let one of my friends drive it against his NTC3 (it was also hopped-up). My yok beat the NTC3 on the turns and killed it on the straight away (my yok setup was done by one of my friends, and he got the setup info from some team yok site). NTC3 is a good car, but why not get a car with a .18, 2speed tranny, plus more!

OneWay
Old 11-05-2002, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

i'm sorry but at the worlds some of the Associateds were about half a second faster than just about the entire opposition. Its all in the driver and the setup as well as the track. But, the Nitro TC3 is unlike any other nitro touring car and some people have complained of the difference between more traditional nitro tourer's but the fact remains that the TC3 beat the rest of the world's best drivers. Take this race for what you want, but choosing a car is much more difficult than finding out whether it is faster on the track for someone else, b/c your personal results could be different.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Im2lazy
i'm sorry but at the worlds some of the Associateds were about half a second faster than just about the entire opposition. Its all in the driver and the setup as well as the track. But, the Nitro TC3 is unlike any other nitro touring car and some people have complained of the difference between more traditional nitro tourer's but the fact remains that the TC3 beat the rest of the world's best drivers. Take this race for what you want, but choosing a car is much more difficult than finding out whether it is faster on the track for someone else, b/c your personal results could be different.
Corrections here. The 705 driven by Michael Salven was the fastest of the lot. Just bad luck that he did not finish because of a pin on the tank came off.

But yes, Mark Pavadis was fantastic with a broken radio. So is Josh Cyrul with the Reflex NT...
Old 11-05-2002, 10:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy ???

How can it be called worlds if Japanese Factory Teams werent there????

OneWay
Old 11-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Tech Master

Red face

i guess I got the ROAR nats and the Ifmar champs mixed up. They said that Ralph Burch's radio got mangled during transport and they had no other left handed radios for him! How did they fix that problem, I don't remember? And as for salven, yeah I heard his pin slid out too, that had to suck big time. i haven't looked closely for about 2-3weeks, but I thought an Associated top qualified? (probably messing things up again )
Old 11-06-2002, 02:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Im2lazy
i guess I got the ROAR nats and the Ifmar champs mixed up. They said that Ralph Burch's radio got mangled during transport and they had no other left handed radios for him! How did they fix that problem, I don't remember? And as for salven, yeah I heard his pin slid out too, that had to suck big time. i haven't looked closely for about 2-3weeks, but I thought an Associated top qualified? (probably messing things up again )
Yes, Barry Baker with the NTC3 TQed. But Salven was on a verge of a TQ lap when the pin came off...
Old 11-06-2002, 02:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by InitialD
Yes, Barry Baker with the NTC3 TQed. But Salven was on a verge of a TQ lap when the pin came off...
Sorry, wrong information The pin came off when he was in the lead in the A mains. At one time, he was leading by a lap over the rest of the guys.

Salven was in the que for 27 laps TQ but I think he ran out of fuel just before the finish line... Something like that. I may be wrong.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Next nitro car

I would buy what is well supported by your local hobby shops. If you have to wait 2 weeks to get parts....that's no fun.
I personally have the Reflex N/T. I raced HPI nitro's for several years and have test drove the Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, TC3, and Yokomo cars. They are all very nice cars and very capable of winning races.
I like the Reflex because it's so much easier to drive fast than my HPI nitro2 was. With the HPI, I was always looking for a good or better set-up. With the Reflex, I only change rear toe and front caster depending on the track conditions (besides tires).
The car always does exactly what I expect it to do when I do make a change. The HPI was always trial and error.

Whatever brand of nitro car you end up buying. You will most likely favor it's overall performance over the HPI.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree......I've had my Impulse for 2 years,my Tc3's since they hit the shelf at my LHS,and I just picked up a used reflex...they all drive different,they all drive well......'

They ALL drive better than ANY HPI.....including HPI's SS....

one thing I do like about the tc3........it is VERY easy to get to evrything on the car...instead of splitting evrything in half to get to the belts and diffs,evrything pulls "UP"......very nice....and no matter what anyone tells you.....not having belts is a great thing..