Search

Bigger cooling head for MT12

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bigger cooling head for MT12

hey guys,

I was just wondering if there is a replacement cooling head for the mt12 that will decrease the running temp????
Old 11-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Boy, You name it and they make it. I have heads for my MT-12's from: Kawahara, Hardcore, Powerline, Z-Speed, Crazy Nut, and O'Donnell, not to mention all the factory heads from: Mugen, Top, NovaRossi, and JP. There are even more than that available if you look hard enough. My best results where with the Crazy Nut & the Powerline. Here's a picture of a typical Crazy Nut head compared to a typical NovaRossi head, Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Bigger cooling head for MT12-novarossitx15001.jpg  
Old 11-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Prophet

For what it's worth, NovaMega has a new head...

http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=2449

It should fit any Nova based engines.
Attached Thumbnails Bigger cooling head for MT12-novamega-big-head.jpg  
Old 11-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Kawahara sells a .21 size head to fit the MT-12. Looks good too.
See if Steve at SpeedTech stocks it.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

I got a brand new crazy nut head for sale:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&threadid=9329
Old 11-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Tech Rookie

for what is'ts worth if you get a bigger cooling head that will significantly rais the center of gravity on your car, i personally think that you would be better off buying nitro blast and or work on your tunning ofyour engin, but if you really need a new head i would say get the same one that has worked for you in the past. that's my two cents
Old 11-08-2002, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Is that you mark?

CG is really not a concern when it comes down to it. The weight added is possibly like 15 grams at max.

Also, I wonder how Nitro blast claims to do all the miracles it does. I'm just skeptical till I see chemical proof ( just not too confusing , lets keep molecule diagrams out of here )

The only problem I see with different cooling heads is that if your engine is cooled too much, the fit between the piston and sleeve is not optimized. The fit will be a little too tight and may wear the piston/sleeve assembly prematurely. But that would be at around a temperature decrease of about 30 degrees, and i don't know how a engine head would make that big of a change.

Looks might be one of the determining factors .
Old 11-08-2002, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

the crazy nut head is lighter than the original head. this thing is like a feather
Old 11-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

IM2LAZY- Everything expands as heat rises, therefore, the fit would actually loosen if it ran cooler. But, both the piston and the cylinder will expand at approx the same rate, so it's irrelevant...
Old 11-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Bigger Head (cooling)

The Idea with a using a larger cooling head is to be able to run a leaner mixture and produce more power at the same temperature. At least for on-road engines.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fellas,

I use one the new heads made by N-Ternational on my MT-12 on my Mugen here in TX. It is much lighter than the stock head, so weight is not an issue. It has dropped my engine running temps 60 to 100 degrees, but maintains the same level of performance. I have a hard time getting my running temps above 190 degrees now. The jury is still out on the center of gravity issue.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Crazy Nut head provides similar results. Same weight as the stock MT-12 head, huge drop in temps.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Theoretically, pimpedaccord, nothing that are made of different materials expand at the same rate. The piston and sleeve are made (one would hope on all engines) so that the two fit together best at estimated operating temperatures. Technically, brass should expand faster than the usual aluminum cylinders, but since these are silicon-aluminum pistons they expand slightly slower in order to more appropriately expand at a rate corresponding to the rate of expansion of the brass cylinder. however, this is a compromise, and like a carburetor, it is desiged to work best in one specific area. For the Piston and sleeve combo it is one general temperature area as a carburetor is set for one a specific rpm range. In hot and/or humid weather, a big head heatsink will put the engine more in the center of the temp. range. Theres more to it, but I'm not entirely comfortable about going over it b/c it contains weird stuff that makes me think to hard .
Old 11-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

The reason I gave above is the reason why Sirio makes some of Its engines with aluminum pistons and sleeves. But of course, the piston and sleeve also have a mix of silicon and copper, respectively, in order to combat wear in this crucial area.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Sirio engines

Anyone have one of the .12's yet?
This aluminum sleeve thing reminds me of the Chevy Vega's from the 70's. The first engines had a high silicon aluminum cylinder bore instead of the usual iron liner. Maybe great in design, but a total failure in application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.