Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help Please ! HPI Nitro RS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need Help Please ! HPI Nitro RS4

Hey, having a slight problem with my car. I had the car sitting for a while because I broke a gear on the 2spd trans. Well I finally went to pick up the new gear (after 7 months of letting it sit) and while I was at it I picked up a new 5.5mm 2 needle carb, HPI purple head and new clutch springs (the clutch shoes themselves are still good). After installing everything I decided to go out and fire it up. Well I got it all fired up and after about 5 seconds the wheels stopped turning (guess it need to richen up after sitting so long) and it was idiling normal then all of a sudden the car made this weird screech like sound and took off (without me touching anything) and then it stopped. Then as I let it idle a bit more and it did it again, when I hit the break the car stalled.

I tried to fire it up again and couldn't get it going again cause of a bad glow plug, but as I was trying to start it again I heard the sound again. If I pull the cord hard I can hear the noise and I can feel the car jerk forward. I can't for the life of me figure out what might be causing this. I triple checked the install of all the new parts and I'm starting to lose my mind.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate all comments and any ideas that anyone might have to help me get to the bottom of this.

Thanks !
Old 11-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Need Help Please ! HPI Nitro RS4

Originally posted by Almighty-Si
Hey, having a slight problem with my car. I had the car sitting for a while because I broke a gear on the 2spd trans. Well I finally went to pick up the new gear (after 7 months of letting it sit) and while I was at it I picked up a new 5.5mm 2 needle carb, HPI purple head and new clutch springs (the clutch shoes themselves are still good). After installing everything I decided to go out and fire it up. Well I got it all fired up and after about 5 seconds the wheels stopped turning (guess it need to richen up after sitting so long) and it was idiling normal then all of a sudden the car made this weird screech like sound and took off (without me touching anything) and then it stopped. Then as I let it idle a bit more and it did it again, when I hit the break the car stalled.

I tried to fire it up again and couldn't get it going again cause of a bad glow plug, but as I was trying to start it again I heard the sound again. If I pull the cord hard I can hear the noise and I can feel the car jerk forward. I can't for the life of me figure out what might be causing this. I triple checked the install of all the new parts and I'm starting to lose my mind.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate all comments and any ideas that anyone might have to help me get to the bottom of this.

Thanks !
The HPI crappy 2 speed unit has 2 bushings in it which the clutchbell rides on. If these are not kept lubed then they will grab the engine shaft at idle and make the noise you are hearing.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

I think AMG is talking about the needle bearing between the clutchbell and the crank shaft. Just grease it up and you should be good to go.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rapid Roy
I think AMG is talking about the needle bearing between the clutchbell and the crank shaft. Just grease it up and you should be good to go.
Nope there are actually two small bushings with the HPI 2 speed kit. Silver colored rings.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

absolutely. i have a hpi nitro mini with a two speed in it that had the very same problem. change those stupid bushings inside the two speed to bearings and that will solve your problem. no question about it.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Great guys....I didnt think about that. I will give it a shot in the morning and let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for all your help guys !