Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well it looks like i'm the only sucker who picked the mongoose The mongoose was one of the best cars i've had and for my very first nitro sedan it was a good car, it taught me heaps.
But by the sounds of it money is a big factor here so maybe the mongoose is more in your range. Don't be discouraged though the mongoose will still get you around the track relatively quick. Motor/pipe,clutch and the way you drive and set the car up will decide how fast you are not because one car is newer than the other but i will admit advancements in technology will probably give you the edge as a lot of r&d has gone into it and they always correct issues from previous models but that being said if your only starting to race then the mongoose will be fine. Maybe the money you save on it can go towards a really good motor/pipe. That's enough of me rambling s!@% just go and have fun
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Addict

Default front tires wearing faster

hi guys,

what should i be looking at if my front tires are wearing faster than my rear?

is it my front is too grippy or too sliding?
or something to do with the rear?

however my car is handling fine (to me at least )

fyi, i'm using front diff with 60k and rear 10k. frt 2 and rear 3 droops. frt and rear shocks 2nd hole from bottom.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by keavze
hi guys,

fyi, i'm using front diff with 60k and rear 10k. frt 2 and rear 3 droops. frt and rear shocks 2nd hole from bottom.

What shore tyres do you use front and rear?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

37 front and rear. i would like to keep this combo...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

hi guys,

Well, that is unusual. It's common for it to be the other way around! .... lol
So much so, that drivers (of most makes of car!) as they get better have a higher shore tirer on the rear! This combats the high tire wear that is "usually the case at the rear.......

One thing to remember. You will get tire wear when you have good grip. If you have no or little tire wear, then your tires are not gripping , at least not as well as they could or have the capability of gripping !

If you really like the way your car is handling, the easy answer is to go up one shore at the front.
If you really want to keep your tire compound ...... and it is a good idea to try to keep the same compound all round, you will need to alter your set up slightly. Be careful though, cause if you like the way your car's handling right now. It wont take alot to alter things !

First thing I would try is to gain more grip at the rear, to even out the tire wear. You could try a steeper angle on your rear wing.......... or slightly more rear toe.
Just remember though. You may end up with even tire wear, but with a car that doesn't handle the way you want!
Something else to try also is the front and rear anti-roll bars. Altering them slightly may get you what you want.

Good luck

British Menace
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

37 front and rear. i would like to keep this combo...
Something else you should also look at ................ your driving style.
Are you using "steering brake" ?
That is, are you using the steering throw of your car to reduce speed into a corner?
I used to do this alot. I would approach a corner. Go straight to full lock as I came off the throttle. Then I would try to increase throttle as the car would steer around the corner. This really eats into your front tires cause your actually using your front tires steering angle ...... their 'slip angle'. To reduce the cars speed, scrubbing your tire's and hence wearing them out prematurly.

Hope this all helps.

British Menace
Old 12-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Addict

Post steering brake!

hi BM,
i think u've hit jackpot on the 'steering brake' style.

how can i 'change' my driving style to not using 'steering brake'?

by the way, my front roll bar is flat and rear is at 90.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

hi BM,

its not driving style, its setup. if you have to do this to get around the corner then the car isnt setup right. sounds like too much rear grip. try a harder rear tyre or harder rear spring. raise your roll centers at the back. the ideal setup you will know. it has a feel that is better than just good. as you make the corner, the rear will loose grip a little, and the car will start turning from the rear with out brakes. at this time, if the car is setup well, you can just about nail the throttle again and the rear end should be planted but already had straightened a little due to the slide. its hard to express or explain, but you will know when you have it sorted. the car just gets easier to drive fast like this. the ideal setup also is even tire wear. so if you run the 37's on the front, and 40 on the rears the split should maintain itself for a lot longer.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
its not driving style, its setup. if you have to do this to get around the corner then the car isnt setup right. sounds like too much rear grip. try a harder rear tyre or harder rear spring. raise your roll centers at the back. the ideal setup you will know. it has a feel that is better than just good. as you make the corner, the rear will loose grip a little, and the car will start turning from the rear with out brakes. at this time, if the car is setup well, you can just about nail the throttle again and the rear end should be planted but already had straightened a little due to the slide. its hard to express or explain, but you will know when you have it sorted. the car just gets easier to drive fast like this. the ideal setup also is even tire wear. so if you run the 37's on the front, and 40 on the rears the split should maintain itself for a lot longer.
too much rear grip?
i'm thinking it might be too much front grip as front tires wearing faster than rear.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

too much rear grip?
i'm thinking it might be too much front grip as front tires wearing faster than rear.
for that hard braking corner entry, front tires are loaded up, and your trying to stop the car to get it to turn in. this will create wear, heat, and stress on your transmission. my suggestions previously were for a different way of driving the car, with out the heavy braking. if your braking your slowing down if your getting that little bit of slide with out braking, then your goign faster and you will get a bit more even wear as the rear will be sliding that bit more, not the front. have a think about how your loading the car up with the way your driving it now
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
G'day Paul good to see your still popping in every now and then, your advice is priceless I reckon your spot on. I was trying to dial my new G4 in for a few weeks after i had completed it but wasn't happy with it even after progress with every outing with it. Untill last week i nailed it and it was a totally different car. I was able to accelorate upto the corner then just jump off,coast around with that little bit of rear slide then back on the throttle, it was awesome and yeah you can't describe it but you can feel it
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by freestyles
G'day Paul good to see your still popping in every now and then, your advice is priceless I reckon your spot on. I was trying to dial my new G4 in for a few weeks after i had completed it but wasn't happy with it even after progress with every outing with it. Untill last week i nailed it and it was a totally different car. I was able to accelorate upto the corner then just jump off,coast around with that little bit of rear slide then back on the throttle, it was awesome and yeah you can't describe it but you can feel it
thats good news. its quite rewarding when you get the car that good. in time it gets much easier to drive as you go along. once you are used to it that is. its a lot less stressfull on the car than trying to brake hard corner entry or mid corner to actually make the corner. if you roll in and then the back gets that bit of slide, its so much quicker and you can get on the throttle again sometimes before the apex. so it is much faster and easier on the car. but hard rear bars and sometimes high roll centers can make the difference. but again, this is just for corner entry and mid corner steering. the rest is all different thats why these cars are so challenging. wouldnt have it anyother way.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

hi BM,

I would really listen to Pattojnr. He does know his stuff and he's a very experienced driver and VERY knowledgable about the car.

If you want to try the idea out of 'steering brake' ....... or not doing it.
You'll have to fell like your really slowing down. But it will pay you back later.
Try braking ONLY on the straight's, or no brake at all just try to have the speed you want BEFORE the corner. Then go around the corners with a little throttle.
You can try taking your steering EPA down. Way down so it's actually hard to even get around the corner!

See if these things work. Just realize. You will be alot slower at first before you get faster.

British Menace
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hi guys,

Diff wise your car is very "front biased" - Try going 30k on the rear diff..should make your car rotate in the turns a little better (loosen up the rear on power)

I bet the inner edges on your front tyres are feathered.....that's the rear grip pushing the front and making the front tyres slide when you are on full lock.

Freestyles, how did you go with that setup I sent you?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
Diff wise your car is very "front biased" - Try going 30k on the rear diff..should make your car rotate in the turns a little better (loosen up the rear on power)

I bet the inner edges on your front tyres are feathered.....that's the rear grip pushing the front and making the front tyres slide when you are on full lock.

Freestyles, how did you go with that setup I sent you?
Yeah good. I only had to change a few things but apart from that it was very close. The car handled great and was an absolute pleasure to drive. Thanks for that. One thing i did change was the exponential to minus 40 (spektrum dx3.0) and it just made the car that less bit sensitive to steering input. I think that was one of the major contributing factors That and putting 25k in the rear diff instead of 10k.

Once again thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.